Mystic China

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZorValachan
Adventurer

Mystic China

Unread post by ZorValachan »

I never got into ninjas & superspies (except using the 1st ed PFRPG Martial artist OCC in that book) and always assumed Mystic China was a N&SS supplement. I got a grab bag to fill out my PB collection and got the mystic china book. Imagine my surprise when I started to read it and saw that is could be very useful for BTS. Looks like the book was written to be compatable (yes, I know most PB books are megaversal, but some are more compatable than others) with bts (1st) as well as N&SS.

While I wouldn't use the straight up martial Arts classes. the demon hunter could be tweaked to be an Eastern Ghost Hunter.

Cool BTS uses:
1) Antiquarian OCC could be used as is. Even without the 'job'+PCC as BTS does, this OCC would be like the parasychologist-job and CC as one. Parapsy would be using tech/university/modern things while the antiquarian would fill that niche of the guy who has all the old books/legends. A historian version of the parapsy. I think this could work right out of the book.

2) Reformed Demon R.C.C could be cool. As they level they lose power as they become more human (a theme in many supernatural books/shows). So would start strong and get weaker as the other players start weaker and get stronger. Interesting

3) Infernals/demons. MC was written after BTS/Rifts so they have HF and you got some more bts baddies, which is always a good thing.

4) Some of the magic classes could be easily adapted into BTS. As we know, Beyond Arcanum is still up in the air and MC looks more useful *(at first glance, still reading it) than Rifts/PFRPG/Nightspawn magic for BTS. Chi/PPE magic as spells as well as scrolls.

Most of you probbaly know this, but if you are like me, a fan of BTS from 1986 or so and never looked into Mystic China, you may want to. Gives a lot of cool info you could drop into the BTS-2 game. Especially if the Characters need to go to Asia or even if something from Asia came to the West (be it infernal demon, cursed object, scroll or whatever).
Cybermancer
Hero

Re: Mystic China

Unread post by Cybermancer »

I use Mystic China quite a bit in BtS games.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Hibik
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Mystic China

Unread post by Hibik »

Personally Mephisto, I liked your monsters and was wondering where you found sources on those things.

I've actually been doing some similar research on similar monsters in folk myths in the Americas (ie, the Boo Hag of the Gullah region)
Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, idolater, worshiper of fire,
Come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair. - Rumi

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”