Psychic Parapsychologist

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thorr-kan
Adventurer

Psychic Parapsychologist

Unread post by thorr-kan »

I was looking over BTS2 when I noticed this option, and I'm quite taken with it. Any one have any experience running one?
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: Psychic Parapsychologist

Unread post by mrloucifer »

One of my previous players had one, and had a great time playing him. He was especially careful keeping his psychic talents on the down low (even from his own group/team) to avoid public ridicule as a crack pot. He was great at using Object Reading and passing it off as being a perceptive/intuitive minded guy, and Sixth Sense was played off much the same ("No I'm not psychic, I just hear something... I got lucky").
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

No, I had a parapsychologist NPC in my campaign but he was 1rst edition. He was, of course, eccentric and more than a bit skittish. He was a big fan of Kirlian photography.

A parapsychologist who actually had psychic powers wouldn't be able to see things quite as objectively but it would also give him an inside view point. Don't see why it couldn't work.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Jasper wrote: A parapsychologist who actually had psychic powers wouldn't be able to see things quite as objectively but it would also give him an inside view point. Don't see why it couldn't work.

One of the ironies is that while the Para understands psychic phenomenon better than the psychics, a psychic para still has no idea where his own talents come from or even logically explain how he uses them. For psychics, its such an inherit part of their nature, they just do it even thought they have no idea how they do it.

For us, it would be like trying to explain to an alien how to "take a leak"... you don't really understand how to do it, or what all is involved in doing it, you just do it when you need to.

Although, now that I think on it, there was that episode of Beavis and Butthead where they forgot how to take a leak, and no one could explain to them how to do it "You... you just go!" Kinda the same thing as I wrote above. :)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

my character "Mr.E" from my time at the lazlo society site was a psychic parapsychologist. (and a sherlock holmes fanboy. :) )
imade the mistake of rolling for ISp after picking powers.. so i would up with precognition, but too little ISP to use it normally. i considered rerolling, but had a better idea. i worked that into his background. he only sees bits of the future when something supernatural is going on nearby. often unwillingly at night. so when he got the 'special' dreams that seem to predict things, heknows something weird is going on.. :)

looking at his character stats.. he had 9 isp, but the following powers:
Medical Hypnosis
Object Read
Meditation, advanced
Precognition
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:my character "Mr.E" from my time at the lazlo society site was a psychic parapsychologist. (and a sherlock holmes fanboy. :) )

I thought the Sorcerous Proficiencies from Through The Glass Darkly would be pretty fun, too. "Look! I can wield Phenomenal Cosmic Power!" followed by the "Oh, CRAP!" reaction of meeting a real mage.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Rimdall
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Rimdall »

Out of curiosity, I made one of my pregens a psychic para. Granted that the style of play at cons is different, the player had fun with it and made good use of the powers.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”