Differences between the 1st and 2nd edition of BTS

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: Differences between the 1st and 2nd edition of BTS

Unread post by mrloucifer »

willus772 wrote:I'm curious about this as well. I have the first edition and have been considering buying the second, but since I have to order it I cant be sure if it is a worthwhile purchase...

Best Palladium purchase I've ever made.... 2nd edition builds onto the bones of the 1st and is a far superior version. Get a copy of this book my friends! :)
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Sir Neil
Adventurer

Unread post by Sir Neil »

The greatest thing about BTS 2 is the occupation system. Instead of the Heroes Limited-style skill programs and education level, players pick an occupation that has an assortment of skills and bonuses. It's very yummy.

As far as the other two books, I figure there's at least a 13% chance the rest of the game will be released before the world ends.
As seen in Rifter 20
Called "disturbing" by Therumancer.
Was informed that "Recommending the destruction of a third of the nation is not appropriate."
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Lobo316 wrote:What are the major differences between the 1st and 2nd edition? And are the additional books for BTS 2e ever going to be released?

I do like the proximity rules for I.S.P. Essentially as you get closer to supernatural beings, the more I.S.P. you have to use against them.

It's more bookkeeping for the player and GM but it's a cool idea.
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Petite Elfgirl wrote:
Natasha wrote:
Lobo316 wrote:What are the major differences between the 1st and 2nd edition? And are the additional books for BTS 2e ever going to be released?

I do like the proximity rules for I.S.P. Essentially as you get closer to supernatural beings, the more I.S.P. you have to use against them.

It's more bookkeeping for the player and GM but it's a cool idea.

It's nothing a cell phone, calculator, or even just a piece of paper can't handle, though. :)

Ive NEVER had anyone complain about bookkeeping in all my games over the years... in fact, they look forward to the ISP power boosts as it means they get to do more cool stuff. :)
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
mrloucifer

I disagree with the "realistic" statement (or lack thereof), the very nature of psychic abilities in BTS is all about realism... its just a realism that psychics cant prove to the majority who don't believe, and cant understand.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

A part of the problem is that a psychic has enough I.S.P. to demonstrate through scientific experiment that something unnatural is going on with him or her. It should probably be that I.S.P. is zero unless in the presence of supernatural evil. But I have also always thought that one should take away the requirement of "supernatural" in the proximity rules as this would give psychics the ability to fight some of the most evil monsters in the game, other human beings.
mrloucifer

Natasha wrote:A part of the problem is that a psychic has enough I.S.P. to demonstrate through scientific experiment that something unnatural is going on with him or her.

Not true, see page 31 for full details... but what ISP points they do have without proximity to the supernatural when they are "under the microscope" will usually be impotent and unimpressive to scientists, most will consider it to be a trick, an illusion and cant be performed consistently to be considered provable. They will be publicly humiliated more than anything else if they dare come forward.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

mrloucifer wrote:
Natasha wrote:A part of the problem is that a psychic has enough I.S.P. to demonstrate through scientific experiment that something unnatural is going on with him or her.

Not true, see page 31 for full details... but what ISP points they do have without proximity to the supernatural when they are "under the microscope" will usually be impotent and unimpressive to scientists, most will consider it to be a trick, an illusion and cant be performed consistently to be considered provable. They will be publicly humiliated more than anything else if they dare come forward.

A psychic under scrutiny could still use something like nightvision or telekinetic push at both x1 and at reduced effectiveness. A psi-mechanic could demonstrate a blast of steam out of a Bic cigarette lighter.
finarvyn
D-Bee

Unread post by finarvyn »

Petite Elfgirl wrote:the second edition is missing the rules to magic, an equipment table, and various arcane sites such as Stone Henge, Bermuda Triangle, et al; the monsters are also sparse.
But those were my favorite parts of 1E. :-(
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D player since 1975

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”