question for the computer nerds

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Bearded Tech
D-Bee

question for the computer nerds

Unread post by The Bearded Tech »

I have a question but not sure which forum to ask it in. Also based on what the question is I am a little unsure if it should be publicly asked. With that in mind, for this post I will just ask who I can discuss the main question with before any public posting.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: question for the computer nerds

Unread post by Kraynic »

Without more of a hint about what the question might be, I have no idea.
The Bearded Tech
D-Bee

Kraynic wrote:Without more of a hint about what the question might be, I have no idea.

It involves 3d printing.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

I would just ask the question and if the mods have a problen with it they would let you know
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
The Bearded Tech
D-Bee

Ok... in that case my question with a slightly better phrasing than I originally thought.... I am looking for working with someone for either getting the files done or learn how to properly to legally make printable files for the various robots, power armor and vehicles. If nothing else, it can be something Palladium can look into doing and sell the downloads.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Captain_Nibbz wrote:I would just ask the question and if the mods have a problen with it they would let you know

seconds.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

The Bearded Tech wrote:Ok... in that case my question with a slightly better phrasing than I originally thought.... I am looking for working with someone for either getting the files done or learn how to properly to legally make printable files for the various robots, power armor and vehicles. If nothing else, it can be something Palladium can look into doing and sell the downloads.

I have absolutely zero knowledge on the process of doing this. But that would be an amazing project to see happen :D

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully someone who knows what they're doing will hit you up so the rest of us can see it!
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Well.....for personal usage you can pretty much model and do what ever you want. Thingiverse has a metric ton of free files for many IPs available (key word free). If Jourdan looking to just do it then you're fine. If you're looking to make money...then yeah PB needs to be involved to get their share.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Same answer. It's not illegal to do.

Whether or not there are 3d modellers on here who can do that is another story and secondarily doing custom modeling can cost significant money.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

jaymz wrote:Same answer. It's not illegal to do.

Whether or not there are 3d modellers on here who can do that is another story and secondarily doing custom modeling can cost significant money.

Best price I was offered by the service I use for printing was 20/hr and that for a simple jet fighter design.

\m/
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

jaymz wrote:Well.....for personal usage you can pretty much model and do what ever you want. Thingiverse has a metric ton of free files for many IPs available (key word free). If Jourdan looking to just do it then you're fine. If you're looking to make money...then yeah PB needs to be involved to get their share.

to be clear, I am not a lawyer, but... "free" does not somehow magically make intellectual property law go away. if you were to create files for someone else's IP and distribute them for free, you have still distributed their intellectual property.

in all likelihood, stuff at thingiverse (or wherever else) gets by on a few things.

1) the owner may not be aware, and in theory could come after them at any time (particularly since the way IP law works the owner may need to do that or risk losing their IP)
2) it is theoretically possible that they have gotten permission, though I suspect this is at best rarely the case.
3) stuff is distinct enough that it doesn't infringe.

"free" only works for cases of fair use, and fair use *does* have limitations; education, research, news reporting, criticism, satire, that sort of thing (there could be other reasons, those are just some of the generally accepted examples of fair use). it is exceptionally unlikely that "I just felt like giving away copies of someone else's intellectual property" is going to be sufficient, in any case.

so just to be clear, if you want to distribute a 3d printing file of, say, a spider-skull walker and do it legally... I would suggest that you get in touch with PB.

(a robot that has a skull main body with spider legs coming out of it might be possible to make and legally distribute, to be clear; palladium does not own the entire concept. that said, I couldn't give you any clear advice on just how distinct you need to be exactly... as I said above, I'm not a lawyer. I'm just an amateur who has been around for a few of these discussions).
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

The other side of that is its hard justify harm thus short something down when you don't offer such products and no proceeds are made that would be denied to the ip holder. If that weren't the case thingiverse itself would have been shut down and held complicit.

Regardless in the end the op can get anything they want created for their own use. Shirts, art, etc or in this case 3d models.

\m/
Shark_Force
Palladin

they don't have to justify harm.

your IP is your IP. someone else's IP is theirs. it doesn't matter whether you steal their IP to sell it or to give it away for free, it is still their IP.

again, there are ways around it; instead of making a member of the salamanders chapter of the adeptus astartes, you make a space soldier wearing green armour and using a flamethrower, and you don't put insignia for the salamanders chapter or the WH40k universe on it (and people can paint them on if they want to), because games workshop doesn't own the idea of people wearing heavy armour in space. likewise, you can't put tyranids on there, but can probably put "giant space bugs" or something like that.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Dude, really, you want to start a copyright or trademark discussion start another thread.

For the OPs purposes he doesn't need palladiums Spiro all.

\m/
Shark_Force
Palladin

jaymz wrote:Dude, really, you want to start a copyright or trademark discussion start another thread.

For the OPs purposes he doesn't need palladiums Spiro all.

while not immediately obvious from the thread title, the subject of *this* thread turns out to have been about how to *legally* make 3d print files of someone's intellectual property. it is right in the request of the original poster. here, look:

The Bearded Tech wrote:Ok... in that case my question with a slightly better phrasing than I originally thought.... I am looking for working with someone for either getting the files done or learn how to properly to legally make printable files for the various robots, power armor and vehicles. If nothing else, it can be something Palladium can look into doing and sell the downloads.

now if you look closely, you may notice that he said:

The Bearded Tech wrote:... >>>>>>legally<<<<< make printable files ...
(emphasis added)

this thread IS a copyright or trademark discussion. starting another thread elsewhere to discuss the topic of this thread would be silly, so actually this discussion belongs here.

legally, you should not be taking things without permission, whether that is a physical object or an amazing idea. now, you can be *inspired* by those ideas to create something *based on* those ideas, but just taking their ideas without permission is not cool.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

And can legally make those files for his own use so p-i-s-s off with your bloody semantics

\m/
Shark_Force
Palladin

jaymz wrote:And can legally make those files for his own use so p-i-s-s off with your bloody semantics

1) it isn't semantics. *someone* told him that it was legal to distribute them to other people for free.

2) more specifically, that someone was you, as seen here:

jaymz wrote:Well.....for personal usage you can pretty much model and do what ever you want. Thingiverse has a metric ton of free files for many IPs available (key word free). If Jourdan looking to just do it then you're fine. If you're looking to make money...then yeah PB needs to be involved to get their share.

so quite frankly, before you start complaining about someone else supposedly derailing a topic, maybe you should first check what the topic is, and secondly not introduce the exact subject you're complaining about that supposedly derailed the topic in the first place.

up until you told the OP that it was legal to distribute someone else's intellectual property as long as they did it for free, I had made zero posts about it being illegal.

(though incidentally, if you want an *actual* example of semantics ("the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning"), I would say that it is much more likely that personal use is not explicitly protected by law, and as such most likely the legality is somewhere between "uncertain", due to the provisions of fair use allowing for more reasons than the generally accepted ones, and having likely never been tested in the specific case of personal use, to "unenforceable", due to the fact that basically unless someone goes around loudly shouting in the streets that they have done it, nobody will know, and even if they did do that, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort for law enforcement to do anything about it)
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

you're probably better off asking for help on 3D printing forums where you're going to have highest volume of people that do 3D printing.
People that play Palladium are a (relatively) small group, of those a much smaller portion use these forums, and it's possible there is little to no overlap with people that do 3D modeling (although you may find an armature more likely to help for free just by virtue of being in the same fandom)

and I say help for free, because if you paid for it that gets the waters even muddier, even if it is just for personal use, and the help is offered for free to teach you how to do it (so they are not distributing any files to you) you may want to check local laws on the matter just in case.

Good luck in the search though
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I saw a C.S. APC 3D print a few weeks back that looked absolutely amazing. I'd love to see Kevin & Co make some more mini projects.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

You can find people to commission 3D print models to on Etsy fairly easily.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

There are basically two ways to go about it really. One is learn CAD or similiar 3d modeling program, or, if you're any good with clay or other modeling material, you can sculpt your own and get yourself a 3d scanner.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”