Playing Rifts Remotely Online

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Playing Rifts Remotely Online

Unread post by Kraynic »

TheChin! wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I'm playing RPGs just like I did for 20 years before C19 came on the block, in a chatroom. Just playing RT right now (in Roll20) since I stopped playing Rifts.

There are other PB Games the munchy rifts. Maybe you should broaden your gaming and play Heroes Unlimited or the Palladium Fantasy RPG. They tend to be easier to run because of the genre boundaries that are absent in rifts.

I wouldn't call that "broadening" your gaming though, I'd call it "constraining". Placing artificial boundaries because a GM doesn't have discipline to do it in-game as needed seems like putting on training wheels. Theme isn't the issue here as much as having at least some support in an engine to pass information back and forth in a way that doesn't bog down the play.

Especially online, Rifts is a nightmare to track information for. It isn't so bad on paper. After all, you can have as many sheets as you want. But online? Integrating all that info in such a way so it can easily be communicated to others? It is nightmarish. It is a lot simpler to run something like After the Bomb, Fantasy, or similarly narrower focuesed games than HU or Rifts, because creating an integrated sheet into a VTT becomes a lot more complicated the more broad the game is.

And, speaking totally for myself, I think anyone that insults people for simply saying that playing something other than Rifts can be good once in a while needs their head examined.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”