Game mechanics of trust/intimidate & charm/impress

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

werebadger89
D-Bee

Game mechanics of trust/intimidate & charm/impress

Unread post by werebadger89 »

How does the trust/intimidate and charm/impress abilities work with the game mechanics? If you succeed with the percentage, it works? Or succeed on the percentage and then they get a save? If so, is it a save vs psionics or does it get its own save?
Prysus
Champion

Re: Game mechanics of trust/intimidate & charm/impress

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Unfortunately, Palladium has never defined that matter well. I'll provide you with the information I can.

1: Rifter #60 (Trust/Intimidate) and Rifter #61 (Charm/Impress) have articles on the matter. This is the most detail given on the subject in any Palladium product. Of course, as a Rifter, this material is NOT canon or "official." These are effectively house rules printed in a fan magazine. This does not mean the rules are bad, just clarifying their status.

2: As an official source, many base their house rules off Ninjas & Superspies under the "Warrior Spirit" Kata. The rules found here only apply to this specific kata, and we have no further information. While this wouldn't seem to apply to M.A. in general, the rules are clearly defined.

3: There is an official source that discusses a high M.A., but its rules are not clearly defined. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness (TMNT), page 96. The character "The Black One" (which starts on page 95, but is continued on 96 and where the reference comes in, above/before the Turtles' write-up). The character uses his M.A. to "freeze" opponents while they talk.

Additional notes:
3a: There are similar aspects to the "Warrior Spirit" Kata, but also differences. This could be a result of changes, but it could just as easily show differences in how the two work.
3b: At no point does it mention that others will back down, run away, or suffer any penalties if they fight. All this seems to do is give the character time to talk (and in this character's particular case, evaluate the situation and his opponents).
3c: The affects lasts for 3 melee rounds (max) or until the character stops talking. There is no mention of needing to talk with "Warrior Spirit" nor is there a time limit.
3d: The Black One has a MA of 28. We don't know if 3 melee rounds is a result of this exceptionally high M.A., or if it would be the blanket time limit of all M.A.

4: There are other threads this discuss this matter as well. One such thread can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=142258

There you can see various people's ideas on the matter. Another thread (where I share some of my opinions) can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=124880&hilit=Trust%2FIntimidate

And another here:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=141261&p=2743088&hilit=horror+factor#p2743088

In the latter I put more detail on how I see things, though it focuses on the Intimidation side of things. You can probably hunt around and find more threads on the subject as well, if you want.

Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”