Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:01 pm

D-Bee

It is a sad day, 10 years of playing and collection Rifts books and other palladium products is at a end for me. This past week a flood ravaged my home and destroyed my complete collection of rifts books. I would like to thank palladium for all the years of great gaming those books have brought me. Unfortunetly i cannot afford to replace so many books after losing so much. It actually made this 30 year old man cry. Again thank you but looks like this game master is being forced into retirement. Live long palladium. I only wish that one day i can once again call a collection of your great rifts books my own. Much love and support. Michael Hull.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points
I'm very sorry to hear that and you have my condolences. :(

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:52 pm

Knight

Sorry to hear that.

You might want to try DriveThruRPG.com as there are many Palladium titles there, often at a very good discounted price.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php ... rs_id=2627

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:47 pm

Adventurer

i dont know if you would want them but i have a rifts main book, rifts conversion book, sourcebook one unrevised and heroes unlimted1.5 and villians unlimited
never got rid of them after i bought newer book i know there older books and well used but there yours for the asking widow no gm should ever be without books

My gun does 4d6x1000 MD! There's no way this guy is gonna survive.
-- Famous Last Words of Rifts Players

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:38 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

While buying all new books would be great for Palladium, it is equally important to the success of the company for you to continue being a GM.

If fact, maybe even more important.

When we lose a GM, we often lose 3-6 players as well. Multiply out even meager sales and you can see how important keeping every GM is to the company in the long run.

Michael, I am sorry you offended Poseidon or your local river kami. However, if you can afford to spend $20, you can keep on GMing. If you can't afford $20, then ask your players for $5 each. Then take the $20 and go on eBay.

The upside of any recession means that there will be great deals as people try to get a few bucks for used items. I have no doubt that $20 will get you back in the GMs saddle. A good GM needs his imagination more than a book collection and floods don't take away imaginations. And then in the future when fortune smiles upon you again, you can always replace the used books with fresh shiny new ones.

But until then, our hobby needs you tossing dice even with raggedy books.

Good luck!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:03 am

D-Bee

i guess i should have posted pictures...im sorry if anyone thinks iam trying to decieve them. pictures to come today...but its not a pretty sight. its a graveyard of books.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:49 am

OLD ONE

Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Trolling "like" comments removed.

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
Palladium Books 2015 Robotech RPG Tactics Tournament Rules

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:11 am

Dungeon Crawler

Spinachcat wrote:
While buying all new books would be great for Palladium, it is equally important to the success of the company for you to continue being a GM.

If fact, maybe even more important.

When we lose a GM, we often lose 3-6 players as well. Multiply out even meager sales and you can see how important keeping every GM is to the company in the long run.

Michael, I am sorry you offended Poseidon or your local river kami. However, if you can afford to spend $20, you can keep on GMing. If you can't afford $20, then ask your players for $5 each. Then take the $20 and go on eBay.

The upside of any recession means that there will be great deals as people try to get a few bucks for used items. I have no doubt that $20 will get you back in the GMs saddle. A good GM needs his imagination more than a book collection and floods don't take away imaginations. And then in the future when fortune smiles upon you again, you can always replace the used books with fresh shiny new ones.

But until then, our hobby needs you tossing dice even with raggedy books.

Good luck!

All things considered, this is a pretty insulting stance to be making. I'm sure that in the flood more than just rpg books were lost or damaged. The man did say that his house was flooded. Just because he only mentioned his rpg books here doesn't mean the flood was only concentrated in that area of his house. I'm pretty sure he's got more important things to worry about replacing than his rpg book collection. Utterly thoughtless.

Widow, sorry to hear about the disaster that has visited your home. I personally can't equate to what you must be going through. As to replacing your books, only you can judge when it would be financially appropriate for you to do such, but DriveThruRPG.com is a good suggestion for getting digital copies of the ones you've lost. There is also the Christmas Grab Bag that you could use to fill in any gaps that aren't available on DriveThru. Good luck to you and your family in dealing with this catastrophe.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Rifter® Contributer

@Widow

Sorry to hear something so disruptive has struck your life. That's a massive blow, and I can't begin to imagine how deep you have to dig to decide where to begin rebuilding, where to move on, and how to take those first steps.

If you're in a position to handle some replacements coming your way, shoot me a PM with your address. I've got a surfeit of books here, including a variety of RIFTS books I haven't used in many years. I would be delighted to send them to a gamer in need, from whom they'll get more use than they ever will with me. I realize games may not be the priority in your life right now, but during a tragedy is the time it is most important to have some relief valve to let the stress melt away.

"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:44 pm

D-Bee

sorry it took so long but here is the pics....
thank you to all for the great support...i thank you and my gamers thank you.
it put a smile on our faces to know there is people out there that care.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/Ceres_Lanford/81fb71cf.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/Ceres_Lanford/62019296.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/Ceres_Lanford/e25ac5ce.jpg

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Palladin

Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.
ouch...that was painful to look at. Sorry for your loss.

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:58 pm

That is a horrible sight. Im very sorry to see that you lost all of those great books, as well as other personal belongings. :(

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:45 pm

Palladin

My condolences to all that you lost.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:12 am

Voice of the Gateway

Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Did you toss them yet? I live in a basement and when the furnace leaks I experience mini floods myself. My GMs guild was one such casualty. However, given enough time to dry it was still readable and usable. The only problem with it was that it was the pages were wavy, as has already happened with your books. There might still be hope.

If you did already toss them, the only thing I can think of is that the Grab bags are only a year away. You might be able to score big with them.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:44 am

Champion

Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.
Two Words. Santa Kevin.

I had a similar experience. It has taken 4 years and just grose numbers of Christmas Surprise packs, average of three per year, but my inventory is back to where it was before. I sent a note to Kevin and crew about what happened in my grab bags, as such they were more than generaous and gave me exactly what i orderd as they undesrstood I was rebuilding.

Next is to complete the catoloug, which for me will probably be at the OH, I hope.

Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Hero

Dang Widow, I'm sorry for your loss. :-( Your books and whatever other belongings were damaged/ruined. I nearly lost my own collection last year and I know what a loss that would be. I agree with the others, it'll take time, but with often $100 worth of books for about $50, it's a way to at least partially rebuild over a few years time. Also, I'd look on Ebay for people selling their collections. Good luck to you man

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Greyaxe wrote:
Next is to complete the catoloug, which for me will probably be at the OH, I hope.

EDIT: Please remain on topic. - NMI

Really? :roll:

Last edited by Logan the Defiant on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:03 am

D-Bee

PLEASE READ

I have decided to upload a video thanking everyone for their support and a small tour of the damaged done to the house. Please be sure to watch the whole video.

Thank you all for your support. The video also includes a surprise toward the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2tWWCWEuN0

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:24 am

Voice of the Gateway

Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Dude, that is amazing work considering you're doing it by yourself. That is not easy work in easy conditions and you've gotten all that stripped away in what, 3 weeks? Damn. Keep it up man and I hope things go smoothly for you from here on.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:59 am

Champion

Greetings and Salutations. Wow, sorry for the loss. I admire all the work you've done. As you said yourself, don't lose hope. Watching that video helped me believe people are generally good and help others when they can. It helped inspire me and uplift my spirit. Sorry, don't mean to sound like it's a good thing the flood happened to you, Widow, just ... I think (and hope) everyone knew what I meant. Keep up the good work and hope it all works out the best for you. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 am

Palladin

That was some awful damage, but a great lift to the spirit at the end. Impressive work on your part and killer compassion on the part of the gaming community. That second box was awesome. Congrats, it is cool to see that measure of success when dealt such a low blow by nature.

Peace,
Jorel

"The Devil's among us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:06 am

Palladin

Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)
Dude my heart goes out to you over this whole ordeal. Those guys are AWESOME for sending you those books :ok: I hope all is well (or as well as can be expected) and that you can find some solace and comfort in once you can game again :)

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, AIM - icesith1, MSN Messenger - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, ICQ - 127915633, Yahoo Messenger - demonjames666, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

MIAFI :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:31 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Widow, I'm sorry to hear about the flood. How heartwrenching. Looks like you're working through it. Keep it up and keep your positive attitude.

Wow! I watched the video (I just saw this post today). Those two heroes who sent you the books and the people that helped out are awesome! Thanks for proving yet again that Palladium fans are awesome.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Voice of the Gateway

I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure most of the books from the big box are new. I remember Kevin thanking someone a few weeks ago in a murmur or press release for a massive order. Guess we know where it went now ;)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:16 pm

Knight

Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!
I saw the video and to the two people who send replacement books you are good people. I figured at most 10-20 books. Sending an entire rfits collection that looked brand new is just amazing.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Explorer

So the flood "fixed" a problem with the computer. I can't be the only one who thinks this was strangely funny and ironic at the same time.

Widow, good luck on the repairs man. In the video, you seem to have a pretty good attitude about everything and I commend you for that. I have no doubt you will persevere over this disaster.

Juicers are so hopped up on drugs that their reflexes are hyper-fast and the rest of the world around them seems to be moving in slow motion. Which means that they are likely the only ones to be able to keep up with the Palladium rule changes... - Killer Cyborg

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Knight

Location: Throne Room, Mephisto's Palace, 1 Mephisto Way, Dyval 736282. Now visiting Prince Albert, SK.
wow 60 books is an incredible gift...damn.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:57 pm

Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
Yet more proof that we have the greatest fans ever, hands down. Thank you guys for helping a fellow fan and bringing a smile to my face in the process.

Widow, keep your chin up, pal. More good things are coming your way, call it a hunch. :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Adventurer

Just saw this thread and I am stunned... at the damage, at all the work you've done, Widow, and at the generosity. No one should say a bad thing about gamers.

I wish you the best in getting your home back in order.

C. Chopps

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:41 pm

Knight

Comment: Killer of threads.
I feel for you Widow. I had a similar situation when my hot water tank burst which was in the same room as my game books and my computer. Luckily I arrived home within minutes so it only flooded half my finished basement and damaged only four of my books(useable but makes a maddening cracking and popping sound every time I turn a page). I went through all the same trouble of cutting off the drywall and rebuilding the walls and reflooring. The only unfortunate thing in the long run is that my computer wasn't damaged, because my insurance would have paid for me to build a whole new computer.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Comment: Lord of Chaos!
I wish you well Widow :ok:

I watched the video and I can see how despair can set in. Don't give in. You have made it past the worst.

Hopefully, soon, you can spend a few hours gaming to take the weight off, if only for a few hours.

Good luck to you.

Kudos to the folks with hearts of gold. :ok: Your simple act of kindness speak volumes about your character.

Carl

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:23 pm

D-Bee

Hey Guys,

Thank you to everyone for watching the video and showing there support. I'll do my best to keep everyone updated on the progress and everything happening. I took someones advice and took the day off and spent it with my 2 year old son, he has been unable to stay here at the house do to the conditions. WE HAD ICECREAM! IT WAS A BLAST and a way to get away from all the work and take a breather.

So my question is to the community...does everyone want me to continue to post and make videos keeping everyone up to date on everything thats been going on?

I definatly do not want to offend or have anyone getting tired of me posting topics or videos about the progress, also had alot of questions coming my way that i figured i could start answering either on the forums or in the videos.

So please reply and let me know if you guys want me to continue to post and make videos keeping, you guys...my other family from another world "lol" informed.

One question i will address now is..."did we have flood insurance?" A: unfortunetly not, very expensive so no coverage in that department. And still waiting to hear from FEMA.

Thanks everyone.

Typed Sincerely,
Widow

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Palladin

Dude you just keep on posting those videos cuz I certianly woudl like to knwo how you are keeping up and and doing :) :ok:

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, AIM - icesith1, MSN Messenger - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, ICQ - 127915633, Yahoo Messenger - demonjames666, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Palladin

Keep posting.

"The Devil's among us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:06 pm

Knight

Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!
jorel wrote:
Keep posting.

Seconded.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Comment: Lord of Chaos!
Sureshot wrote:
jorel wrote:
Keep posting.

Seconded.

Thirded

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Palladin

googled

"The Devil's among us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:38 pm

Palladin

yahooed?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:48 pm

Palladin

jaymz wrote:
yahooed?

izat a number?

"The Devil's among us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:55 pm

Palladin

I didn;t knwo googled was.... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Knight

Comment: Killer of threads.
I would be honored to hear more. It's a community here on the boards and I think it pretty cool how some people have been so generous so far. Dude, you have to make a video and send it in to extreme home makeover, you never know if you'll be lucky.

Heck if you don't then maybe someone will rip some of your vids and send it in for you. :P

Edit: Film it from the family perspective of how it has separated your family and how your 2 year old can't stay in the house. Do some video of the river and explain a little about the flood, show the exterior and explain how the flood attacked your home (evil bad flood), show the horrible interior focusing on the mold and make sure you show and detail your little boy's room. Explain your lack of insurance and how the only thing left dry after the flood was your family, as in being left high and dry.

Last edited by Anthar on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Palladin

Anthar thatis GENIUS! Yeah you shoudl send it in Widow most definitely :ok:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:02 am

Explorer

Yes you should because someone around here might have knowledge of home repair, homeowners assistance, etc, that may be able to help you out as you rebuild the house.

As a matter of fact, I would suggest calling your local Housing and Redevelopment Authority, specifically the person who deals with CDBG funds - Community Development Block Grant funds. Some of these funds should be allocated for emergency home repair. They usually go to elderly people who are unable to repair their house, which has usually fallen into pretty bad shape. You may be able to get on the list.

Another avenue would be to find out if there is a Carpenter's Helper group with any of the local churches. It may not be called exactly that, but it's basically church members, who are also carpenters, who do home building and repair with the church fitting the bill. They may require sweat equity, but you're already doing that. We've got a CH in my home town, along with Youth Build - troubled teens and 20 year old who work with a non-profit in building affordable housing.

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

PS - Can we get this stickied?

Juicers are so hopped up on drugs that their reflexes are hyper-fast and the rest of the world around them seems to be moving in slow motion. Which means that they are likely the only ones to be able to keep up with the Palladium rule changes... - Killer Cyborg

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:53 am

Knight

Location: Throne Room, Mephisto's Palace, 1 Mephisto Way, Dyval 736282. Now visiting Prince Albert, SK.
Widow, do you live in a flood plain? Because here, there is no risk of flood, but I am required to have fire and wind (it's Saskatchewan, tornadoes are not uncommon) insurance on my home, but no other coverage is required. I'd be devastated to have nothing covered in the event something happened,

I'd also like to see a video of actual gaming, not just reconstruction.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:47 am

Explorer

Keep posting, please. This thread is a bright spot in an otherwise dark period in my life. It means a lot to me that there are people out there still willing to help people that they have never met...

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 am

Dungeon Crawler

Widow wrote:
It is a sad day, 10 years of playing and collection Rifts books and other palladium products is at a end for me. This past week a flood ravaged my home and destroyed my complete collection of rifts books. I would like to thank palladium for all the years of great gaming those books have brought me. Unfortunetly i cannot afford to replace so many books after losing so much. It actually made this 30 year old man cry. Again thank you but looks like this game master is being forced into retirement. Live long palladium. I only wish that one day i can once again call a collection of your great rifts books my own. Much love and support. Michael Hull.

that sucks so badly you almost made a 34 year old man cry, good luck and fortune with the rebuild, and i am glad that it was just a flood not a quake or something that could have killed or hurt anyone you love, small mercys but ....you live to fight another day, you will recover, trust me. I am rebuilding my life at the moment and it feels like things will never be the same, but i know that in a fiew months (possilby a year or two) i will be on my way to recovery, my life is going to last longer than two years so... i guess i can pick up then, so can you.
live well, work hard and keep your eye on the prize! :crane:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:11 am

Dungeon Crawler

Widow wrote:
sorry it took so long but here is the pics....
thank you to all for the great support...i thank you and my gamers thank you.
it put a smile on our faces to know there is people out there that care.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/Ceres_Lanford/81fb71cf.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/Ceres_Lanford/62019296.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/Ceres_Lanford/e25ac5ce.jpg

gamers are fiew and far, gms more so.... palladium gamers in my exp are usualy good ppl, so hell yea we care, besides what has happend is so not good words just dont work, but like i said, you need a plan, once you get one, its just a matter of time ...make it so.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:16 am

Dungeon Crawler

zor_prime1 wrote:
Widow, I'm sorry to hear about the flood. How heartwrenching. Looks like you're working through it. Keep it up and keep your positive attitude.

Wow! I watched the video (I just saw this post today). Those two heroes who sent you the books and the people that helped out are awesome! Thanks for proving yet again that Palladium fans are awesome.

WORD

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:19 am

Dungeon Crawler

cchopps wrote:
Just saw this thread and I am stunned... at the damage, at all the work you've done, Widow, and at the generosity. No one should say a bad thing about gamers.

I wish you the best in getting your home back in order.

C. Chopps

someone should connect mothers/perents against rpgs (or what ever the hell they call themselves) with this thread, they can learn the truth, they are wrong.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:27 pm

Adventurer

Any news on the rebuilding?