Dyvils and teleport

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Dyvils and teleport

Unread post by darthauthor »

When one of these supernatural beings, specifically a Deevil, teleports where do they go?

Can they teleport anywhere on Rifts Earth they have been before?

Is it just to their plane on Dyvil?

Upon return to Dyvil can they teleport back to Rifts Earth?

Is it dimensional teleportation, as in they can go to the astral plane if they wanted or the elemental plane, splicers, nightbane, BTS, other worlds in the Three Galaxies?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Dyvils and teleport

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Unless Rifts changed it, the entries in PF2E's main book describe the teleport as "dimensional teleport", so teleport would only allow them to access another dimension. As to where you'd land in the new dimension, it probably has to be a location in that dimension you are familiar with.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Conversion book 3, pg 12 - Hades demons dimensional teleport back to Hades. Presumably the rule also applies to Deevils.

Rules for dimensional teleportation to Dyval for Deevils are DB11 pg 98
darthauthor
Hero

Well the matter came up in a fight.

The Demon/Deevil was losing and looked like they were going to be "killed" so I reasoned they would run or escape.
I ruled that they teleported.
I had the percentages for success or failure to teleport, I just didn't know where they could go and if and how long it would take them to teleport back.
darthauthor
Hero

So quick reading,
seems like they mostly go to their home dimension and places within it.
Getting out, and back to Rifts Earth. may require a permission slip from the boss. Still it is better than taking decades to be born again.

Makes me wonder about Shifters and such in terms of summoning.
How are the summoned Demons/Dyvils selected?

Is it like a random Rift opens up and sucks them into Rifts Earth?

When they get to Rifts Earth do they automatically want to stay for as long as possible given they are immortal and the alternative is going back to their home dimension?

Can a Shifter or what not summon one in particular because they like them?

Can a Shifter summon human born in Hell or sold into slavery there?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ShadowLogan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:06 am Unless Rifts changed it, the entries in PF2E's main book describe the teleport as "dimensional teleport", so teleport would only allow them to access another dimension. As to where you'd land in the new dimension, it probably has to be a location in that dimension you are familiar with.
In RCB3 DC Deevils have just Dimensional Teleport, just like they do in the PF2 corebook.

See the D-T-port spell for details.

The 'DT-Port home only' limitation is not mentioned in the Deevils text that I read.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:I had the percentages for success or failure to teleport, I just didn't know where they could go and if and how long it would take them to teleport back
Random teleportation is unlikely, I think the text for D-Teleport just covers the minimal bases specifically related to the D-aspect of D-teleport, and other restrictions of regular teleport apply. Rifting has the same issue to. So I would take it that you need to be familiar with the place you are D-teleport/teleporting to, so you couldn't D-teleport into our dimension on Mars if you've only been to Earth.

As for getting back... Just remember there are other options for D-travel that likely are not subject to restrictions placed on them from other methods (natural D-Teleport vs D-teleport vs D-Rift). Now weather the being in question can access those other methods is ultimatly a GM call.
darthauthor wrote:How are the summoned Demons/Dyvils selected?

Is it like a random Rift opens up and sucks them into Rifts Earth?

When they get to Rifts Earth do they automatically want to stay for as long as possible given they are immortal and the alternative is going back to their home dimension?
Based on the text I think it is purely random for the first two questions (IINM they can target for species, but not individuals). The third, IINM they can stay as long as they want if the Shifter doesn't send them back.
darthauthor wrote:Can a Shifter summon human born in Hell or sold into slavery there?
Not likely I think because it seems orientated toward summoning Supernatural (and Creature of Magic) beings, so unless the human ends up with SN attributes I'd say no.
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In RCB3 DC Deevils have just Dimensional Teleport, just like they do in the PF2 corebook.

See the D-T-port spell for details.
Given it's a natural ability might I also suggest using the Dragon's description of said ability instead of the spell. I don't think there are many differences between the two versions, the major difference is frequency/rate (the spell's primary limitation is PPE based, where the natural ability is more time based which might make more sense since you don't pay PPE to use the ability).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

...the reason I said
drewkitty ~..~ wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:41 pm See the D-T-port spell for details.
...is that like with the listing in the gamebooks, I wasn't going to get into the nitty gritty details of it and let the GMs decide for themselves how they are going to fill the holes in their games.

AND....GMs & Players still need to actually LOOK at the spell to see how it works before deciding how things work in their games.

Now if the nitpicker was asking how I would fill in the holes as a GM he was doing it in the wrong way.
He should of asked, to the general posters like this...

"How would you all, as GMs, fill in the holes in this game text?"(see how the context of the question got moved from one person to everybody)

And then bring up the points about the difference between nat.abilities and the spell's use of PPE.
-------------------
Now As a GM I can see a few ways of this NA working: a time limit, as in once a day/hour/month, a PPE requirement, or a HP/SDC/MDC cost.
For younger deevils it might be per month, week or day....where older ones might be 'per hour,.... where as with (non-specific) Deevil Lords might be 24 times per day-with 10 minutes between attempts.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”