Vampires and body parts

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Vampires and body parts

Unread post by darthauthor »

So if the party stakes, decapitates, and burns a vampire can the keep some of the body parts for their necromancer?

I read somewhere that there is a spell that depends upon using a master vampire's rib-cage to make a crown
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Vampires and body parts

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

From what I understand: nope, the whole thing needs to be burned up so there is only ashes left for the vampire to be truly 'killed'.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
darthauthor
Hero

So what about . . .

Can a necromancer use their ability to merge with dead body parts with a staked vampire's parts?

Like getting the ability to use a vampires fangs?

IF I understand Drewkitty's answer from above. The vampire has to be kept alive even if only with a stake in their heart to be kept down even if not permanently dead.
So I am guessing, a player and GM could allow it to work but it would mean the vampire could reform (assuming the stake is released from the heart). OR the power only works until the body is destory by sunlight or something like that.

IF they used the spell, "Comsume Power and Knowledge" would a necromancer be able to eat a vampire's parts and gain their usual spell effects?

My guess is yes but only until the vampire's body is destroyed or reformed. So the necromancer only gets a one time use of the spell (bodypart).

Specfically:

Eats the Eyes in the hopes of seeing where the vampire took their victims or recognize their human and vampire (in human form) accomplices.

Eats the Brains in the hopes of remembering where to find the vampire's coven or whom their minions are.

No supernatural powers. I presume that while the vampire's heart is staked their corpse has only mortal human qualities to impart to the consuming necromancer. As little as that is, it could give some VERY important information about who else is a vampire, a mind slave, an accomplice, a blackmail victim, who they have bitten, where the other vampires sleep during the day, etc.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

The vampire isn't dead (it is undead), so a necromancer can't use their ability to merge with dead body parts.
To be truly dead, the entire body must be burned to ashes, so there would then be no body parts left to merge with.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:I read somewhere that there is a spell that depends upon using a master vampire's rib-cage to make a crown

Citation requested for this rib-cage crown spell. The only vampire spell component I could find was for vampire's blood (in Circle Magic).

darthauthor wrote:Can a necromancer use their ability to merge with dead body parts with a staked vampire's parts?

No. A staked vampire is not dead per say, they are undead AND in a suspended animation state neither of which qualify as dead for the purposes of a necromancer's ability to merge with dead body parts.

darthauthor wrote:IF they used the spell, "Comsume Power and Knowledge" would a necromancer be able to eat a vampire's parts and gain their usual spell effects?

No. Again, a staked vampire does not qualify as dead, which is required for the CP&K necromancer spell to work. We know there is a difference between "dead" and "undead" given spells like "Turn Dead" do not work on the undead.
darthauthor
Hero

The spell "Crown of Bone"
First appears in The Rifter 65
Page 41

Level Fourteen Spell PPE 600

Made from the bones of a master vampire (preserved using magic that is part of this spell), using the ribs and part of the spine.
The wearer can command vampires just as if he was a master vampire.
Also, can animate and control 2 more dead per level with his animate and control dead power.
Random undead will never attack the wearer without provocation and will acknowledge the
wearer as a powerful Necromancer
Minions or creatures summoned by the wearer will also remain for twice as long.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I don't have Rifter #65, but based on your post... It seems to require the Vampire to be destroyed as part of the spell/ritual in order for the magic of the CoB to preserve what it does.
darthauthor
Hero

I guess it is one of those RARE exceptions to the rule.

Like that one power Mystic China Zen power that let's a vampire become a living mortal again.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The (unofficial) spell, likely requires a special ritual to avoid the vampire bone from being destroyed.
Officially there is a mention of a vampire bone weapon in Black Vault though, but again its likely a special process to make it.
Possibly horrifically similar to the way that Demon/Devil items are made in Megaverse in Flames...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”