Magic weak, tech is better

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Magic weak, tech is better

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Mack wrote:So... pointless math excursion.

On Rifts Earth, about 1 in 66 people have Clairvoyance.

I cannot recall how I reached 1 in 240, but your math looks good. I tend to assume that most minor psychics have random powers, as well... it's just that for PCs, random powers = "Whatever I want this character to have". Major psychics (especially pre-RUE) have more directed power choices... they may have started with a couple randoms, but they put in the time and effort to get what they wanted.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The powers in Coalition Manhunters skew that a bit. The list on pg 113 is detailed as being non-exclusive abilities, not those exclusive to particular OCCs or anything, and would seemingly both be available to the population at large and be found in an equal distribution relative to previously detailed psionics. Also note there's a little overlap across categories with Meditation, Mind Block, and Resist Fatigue, which would have a slight effect across large populations of Major Psychics.

Healing: 20 (prior to Manhunters 15)
Physical: 27 (21)
Sensitive: 36 (24)
Super: 46 (29)
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Curbludgeon, thanks for mentioning that. I intended to put an RUE-caveat on my post and forgot. (Mental note... need to buy Manhunters.)

If we start with 36 Sensitive powers instead just the 24 listed in RUE, then it comes out to about 1 in 102 have Clairvoyance.
I know I have a minor omission in my method, but it's not enough for me to chase and won't materially affect the outcome.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

Yeah, I remember something in one of the Rifters. CS has a program to use Clairvoyance. Something about using a lot of clairvoyant psychics to look at the same person or place on the same day (10 or 30 days in advance or something).

First thought, they are like that movie "Minority Report." The 10 or 30 or whatever number of psychics all see a little piece of the same day and each a something different. Then the CS intelligence personal pieces the information together like a jig-saw puzzle.

I finished the reading thinking that the most important people, places, and missions of the CS have extensive psychic foresight. In short, no suprises for the 1 %.

Its the grunts you get to surprise.

Return to “Rifts®”