Updated Military OCCs and MOS list

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sambot
Adventurer

Updated Military OCCs and MOS list

Unread post by Sambot »

Hi,

Is there an updated list of OCC's, MOS's, and even skills available to to various groups? Not just regions, which would be nice but specific groups like the Coalition States and the NGR. I can see where many could be apply, especially to the larger government and military groups. I also know that as GM I can do what I want but it'd be nice to have an official list. Is there one?

Thanks
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: Updated Military OCCs and MOS list

Unread post by Orin J. »

no, it's pretty open what careers and skills are available. just more a matter of which ones they commonly use.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Orin J. wrote:no, it's pretty open what careers and skills are available. just more a matter of which ones they commonly use.

Bummers. I'd hoped that there would have been more updates over the years. There's a lot of OCCs that I would think could be used by them. There have been additions to the CS and NGR before and a lot of new information. The World Books have a lists of what OCCs from where could be available from previous books. Some places even use some CS OCCs with modifications. I would have thought it'd go the other way too.

Wouldn't most large settlements, even in the CS, have Firefighters and Civilians? Also does the NGR have a Sailor OCC and if so, which one should I use? The Coalition's? New Navy's? One of the independent Sailor OCCs? We never did figure that one out. It'd vary with game.

And then there's all the CS awards and special schools. I would have thought that would add some OCCs or at least some MOSs.

Oh well. I guess it's back to GM's choice until new info comes out. Thanks.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

oh, plenty of stuff's been added. just details of who prefers what never is. that's a matter for the GM.

firefighter, ironically doesn't seem to be an OCC from what i've read though. funny.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Orin J. wrote:oh, plenty of stuff's been added. just details of who prefers what never is. that's a matter for the GM.

firefighter, ironically doesn't seem to be an OCC from what i've read though. funny.

Sure it is! Its Rifts name is "Burster" :wink: .
If you are looking for a firefighter of the non-psychic variety though, there is one described in Chaos Earth.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Orin J. wrote:oh, plenty of stuff's been added. just details of who prefers what never is. that's a matter for the GM.

Yeah. Those were the details I was asking about. :( Oh well. Maybe one day. If the Rifter were still going maybe it'd be worth an article or two. Some new OCCs and MOS and Notes to convert to and from one group/region to another.

Weird isn't it? We even have Firefighter Power Armor and Vehicles but no Firefighter. :eek:

Giant2005 wrote:

If you are looking for a firefighter of the non-psychic variety though, there is one described in Chaos Earth.

Thanks. However, one is in limited supply and one belongs to an organization that ended 300 years earlier? Granted that's probably the one I'd use with some modification but I'd of thought there'd be an OCC for modern times. After all we've got several kinds of police officer. Why not a firefighter?
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

Doesn't the book Heroes Of Humanity have some further information about this?
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Sambot wrote:

Yeah. Those were the details I was asking about. :( Oh well. Maybe one day. If the Rifter were still going maybe it'd be worth an article or two. Some new OCCs and MOS and Notes to convert to and from one group/region to another.

Weird isn't it? We even have Firefighter Power Armor and Vehicles but no Firefighter. :eek:

Giant2005 wrote:

Thanks. However, one is in limited supply and one belongs to an organization that ended 300 years earlier? Granted that's probably the one I'd use with some modification but I'd of thought there'd be an OCC for modern times. After all we've got several kinds of police officer. Why not a firefighter?

nothing to change, really.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

(SHIFTY) wrote:Doesn't the book Heroes Of Humanity have some further information about this?

It's what got me wondering even more. They do give an MOS in a way but I would have thought there'd be more OCCs and regular MOSs without the Special Training Schools.

Also some don't really seem to fit. At least not without further explanation. For example, I know the military would need fire and rescue personnel but who covers that for Chi Town and the Burbs? The CS Police, ISS, or Psi-Battalion? It's cool if they do. They wouldn't be the first to pull double duty like that but shouldn't we know that they do? But if they don't, do I use a Civilian OCC from another game? Also shouldn't we know what equipment they use?

There's plenty of other cases. I do know that some OCCs/MOSs are indigenous. Which is cool but not everything is. I'd hoped that there'd be some kind of notes for using other OCCs by other groups. Beyond the obvious changing the language, literacy or not, and what equipment they use. Changes in skill bonuses or amount of other skills that can be chosen. For example the Sovietski have the world's best tanks but they're not the only tankers.

I guess its still up to the GM to sort it all out. I do wish the Rifter were still being published though. I'd try my hand and an article covering this subject.
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

Sambot wrote:
(SHIFTY) wrote:Doesn't the book Heroes Of Humanity have some further information about this?

It's what got me wondering even more. They do give an MOS in a way but I would have thought there'd be more OCCs and regular MOSs without the Special Training Schools.

Also some don't really seem to fit. At least not without further explanation. For example, I know the military would need fire and rescue personnel but who covers that for Chi Town and the Burbs? The CS Police, ISS, or Psi-Battalion? It's cool if they do. They wouldn't be the first to pull double duty like that but shouldn't we know that they do? But if they don't, do I use a Civilian OCC from another game? Also shouldn't we know what equipment they use?

There's plenty of other cases. I do know that some OCCs/MOSs are indigenous. Which is cool but not everything is. I'd hoped that there'd be some kind of notes for using other OCCs by other groups. Beyond the obvious changing the language, literacy or not, and what equipment they use. Changes in skill bonuses or amount of other skills that can be chosen. For example the Sovietski have the world's best tanks but they're not the only tankers.

I guess its still up to the GM to sort it all out. I do wish the Rifter were still being published though. I'd try my hand and an article covering this subject.

I have actually wondered that too about the Chi-Town First Responders. I am a First Responder myself and thought about this many years ago. Also, I would wonder if some of the fire suppression systems in Chi-Town are so far advanced that they don't need a suppression services. The Burbs is a different story. My guess would be Dog Boys?
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

(SHIFTY) wrote:
Sambot wrote:

I have actually wondered that too about the Chi-Town First Responders. I am a First Responder myself and thought about this many years ago. Also, I would wonder if some of the fire suppression systems in Chi-Town are so far advanced that they don't need a suppression services. The Burbs is a different story. My guess would be Dog Boys?

they leave the 'burbs to burn, by all accounts. the only step in if it's in their interests to, not to help them. the outside of the city is firepoof enough, and they'd certainly maintain a certain minimum distance for structures near the walls, but beyond that they actively try to avoid providing services because they'd like it if they left.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

(SHIFTY) wrote:I have actually wondered that too about the Chi-Town First Responders. I am a First Responder myself and thought about this many years ago. Also, I would wonder if some of the fire suppression systems in Chi-Town are so far advanced that they don't need a suppression services. The Burbs is a different story. My guess would be Dog Boys?

That's cool. :)

I'm sure they are advanced in Chi-Town but there are other Coalition cities and there's the burbs. They'd need something. Plus damage could knock out those advanced systems. Somebody would need to put it out. I would imagine that there would be Dog Boys. Especially among rescue units. But they would have humans to lead them right? Like they do in military and police units?

Orin J. wrote:they leave the 'burbs to burn, by all accounts. the only step in if it's in their interests to, not to help them. the outside of the city is firepoof enough, and they'd certainly maintain a certain minimum distance for structures near the walls, but beyond that they actively try to avoid providing services because they'd like it if they left.

Yes they want them to leave but I would think putting out fires would be in their interest. Fires can spread to something they don't want to burn. Like farms the Coalition gets their food from. Plus the smoke could bother those in the city. Of course the farmers would have to come from another book or even another game which was part of why I asked about an updated list.

Return to “Rifts®”