Does the Spell "Sustain" Work on Vampires?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Giant2005
Knight

Does the Spell "Sustain" Work on Vampires?

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Both aspects of the spell are relevant:
1. Would it remove the Vampire's need for blood during the spell's duration, and
2. Would it mean that the Vampire only need two hours of sleep each day (removing the penalties for grogginess and such during the other daylight hours).
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Does the Spell "Sustain" Work on Vampires?

Unread post by Mack »

By the book, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

But my gut tells me that's not the spell's intent. There'd be a magical battle between the vamp's supernatural nature and this spell's effectiveness, and I believe the vamp's nature would win out.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Giant2005 wrote:Both aspects of the spell are relevant:
1. Would it remove the Vampire's need for blood during the spell's duration, and
2. Would it mean that the Vampire only need two hours of sleep each day (removing the penalties for grogginess and such during the other daylight hours).

1. Not sure here but it could be yes for the physical need but no for the phycological need.
2. I think we can say a hard no here. The vampire doesn't receive a penalty for lack of sleep, he gets a penalty because the sun is up. We know this because they receive penalties not for too few hours of sleep but when the sun is up.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Looking at the intent of the spell, I would say no.

It might even do damage per time unit to vampires, depending on the GM running the game.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I'd go with 'No'.
While the spell doesn't say explicitly against it, the intent of the spell is to keep living creatures going, and vampires are UNliving. It would be trying to use Sustain on a nuclear-powered A.I. robot with a failing power plant. There might be many of the aspects of life to the creature, but biologically, they're illusionary.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:I'd go with 'No'.
While the spell doesn't say explicitly against it, the intent of the spell is to keep living creatures going, and vampires are UNliving. It would be trying to use Sustain on a nuclear-powered A.I. robot with a failing power plant. There might be many of the aspects of life to the creature, but biologically, they're illusionary.

So the sustain spell would work on a Host Armor (splicers), because it is living? But Wouldn't work of a machine person (RDB2) because they are not 'alive' in the flesh and blood sense?
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

So the sustain spell would work on a Host Armor (splicers), because it is living? But Wouldn't work of a machine person (RDB2) because they are not 'alive' in the flesh and blood sense?

If the Host armor needs to eat and breath I would say yes. It definitely will not work on mechanical life. I would say if you do not have PPE then you definitely can not be helped by this spell.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

vampires casting sustain on their blood factories is probably helpful though
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Axelmania wrote:vampires casting sustain on their blood factories is probably helpful though

I was thinking along those lines too that this is probably one of the spells they would use in blood pools and places like that.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Warshield73 wrote:
Axelmania wrote:vampires casting sustain on their blood factories is probably helpful though

I was thinking along those lines too that this is probably one of the spells they would use in blood pools and places like that.

And that's where vampires with interests in modern medicine and healing magic really begin straining the Hippocratic Oath. :twisted:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Warshield73 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

If the Host armor needs to eat and breath I would say yes. It definitely will not work on mechanical life. I would say if you do not have PPE then you definitely can not be helped by this spell.

The whole concept of the Spicers Game is that the humans gene-change living things to make armors and accessories. Yes, The Host Armor do indeed need to Eat. Each type are specifically detailed what they eat. And since, though not detailed that they do, that they are alive due to game concept so they do breath.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

taalismn wrote:vampires with interests in modern medicine and healing magic really begin straining the Hippocratic Oath. :twisted:

Or does it?

https://www.brmsonline.com/blog/wellnes ... d-donation
Health Benefits Of Donating Blood
Blood donation not only makes the receiver’s life good but also helps the donor to maintain good health. The health benefits of donating blood are mentioned below.

PREVENTS HEMOCHROMATOSIS
Health benefits of blood donation include reduced risk of hemochromatosis. Hemochromatosis is a health condition that arises due to excess absorption of iron by the body. This may be inherited or may be caused due to alcoholism, anemia or other disorders. Regular blood donation may help in reducing iron overload. Make sure that the donor meets the standard blood donation eligibility criteria.

ANTI-CANCER BENEFITS
Blood donation helps in lowering the risk of cancer. By donating blood the iron stores in the body are maintained at healthy levels. A reduction in the iron level in the body is linked with low cancer risk.

MAINTAINS HEALTHY HEART & LIVER
Blood donation is beneficial in reducing the risk of heart and liver ailments caused by the iron overload in the body. Intake of iron-rich diet may increase the iron levels in the body, and since only limited proportions can be absorbed, excess iron gets stored in heart, liver, and pancreas. This, in turn, increases the risk of cirrhosis, liver failure, damage to the pancreas, and heart abnormalities like irregular heart rhythms. Blood donation helps in maintaining the iron levels and reduces the risk of various health ailments.

WEIGHT LOSS
Regular blood donation reduces the weight of the donors. This is helpful to those who are obese and are at higher risk of cardiovascular diseases and other health disorders. However, blood donation should not be very frequent and you may consult your doctor before donating blood to avoid any health issues.

STIMULATES BLOOD CELL PRODUCTION
After donating blood, the body works to replenish the blood loss. This stimulates the production of new blood cells and in turn, helps in maintaining good health.

I could definitely see vampire-run cities saying this kind of stuff, and a lot of vampires genuinely believing it.

Of course, whatever of these benefits are genuine probably only have an overall beneficial effect at smaller donation levels, and not if 'over-mined'.

Wise vampires are probably going to want to avoid over-exploiting the resource (keeping them healthy for long-term exploitation) meaning they'd want to keep them well-fed, healthy, healed, etc.

It seems like if you just keep throwing healing magic (or psi) at them you could just take unlimited blood from a single person. I think it was something like 20 HP restores 1 lost pint?

Palladium's healing stuff isn't usually like GURPS where healing powers/spells have cumulative penalties when used on the same target throughout the day, the only built-in limitation is I recall some stuff (maybe one of the priest OCCs?) has a limit of how many healing touches a single target can get from a specific priest? I could be thinking of another healing power though, not raw HP restoration.

Return to “Rifts®”