The Emperor's Defenses

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

The Emperor's Defenses

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I contacted a number of sites making inquiries about the standard practices for protecting the President of the United States if there was a chance he would be at risk of harm or assassination threats or attempts had been made and I recently received the following written reply:
You would have layered defenses, both overt and covert, plus intelligence and monitoring plus suppression of telecommunications and communications, and diversionary tactics coming out your ears (decoys, disinformation) - for the president to remain in public view where active assassination attempts were occurring on a daily basis is a breach of duty by the people responsible for the Presidents life. For the president to travel by high profile motorcade or helicopter wouldn't be options.

He wouldn't have a choice, he would be in 'protective custody', elsewhere. All traffic and movement within kilometers of the Whitehouse would be stopped. Check points established, movement restricted, air movement in the area stopped, aircraft on unauthorized overflight challenged/destroyed, anti-aircraft and missile batteries deployed etc. It wouldn't just be the president, but symbols that were protected.

There would be hundreds of staff deployed under your scenario, with different tasks, that is the high end of high risk.

I am tempted to write a Rifter Article detailing all of the Emperors defenses (probably do it tomorrow) but I just in case I don't get around to it I thought I'd share this for those who might be interested. I hope you enjoy! :)
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Cybermancer
Hero

Re: The Emperor's Defenses

Unread post by Cybermancer »

It would probably make a worthwhile article.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

It's a tired subject, haha...but one I'm still interested in.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Alrik Vas wrote:It's a tired subject, haha...but one I'm still interested in.

Yeah pretty much anyone here had wondered about the argument(and in my case i was subject to scorn and unneded puns too..like i was asking for somethign really stupid... :lol: :x ). Always thought that would be interesting know what sort of tactics are issued to ensure that ol' good Prosek REMAIN alive and in control of his own mind.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Make sure to include the Dreamstream defenses. Only humans can be Dream-makers, and that matters.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Akashic Soldier wrote:I contacted a number of sites making inquiries about the standard practices for protecting the President of the United States if there was a chance he would be at risk of harm or assassination threats or attempts had been made and I recently received the following written reply:
You would have layered defenses, both overt and covert, plus intelligence and monitoring plus suppression of telecommunications and communications, and diversionary tactics coming out your ears (decoys, disinformation) - for the president to remain in public view where active assassination attempts were occurring on a daily basis is a breach of duty by the people responsible for the Presidents life. For the president to travel by high profile motorcade or helicopter wouldn't be options.

He wouldn't have a choice, he would be in 'protective custody', elsewhere. All traffic and movement within kilometers of the Whitehouse would be stopped. Check points established, movement restricted, air movement in the area stopped, aircraft on unauthorized overflight challenged/destroyed, anti-aircraft and missile batteries deployed etc. It wouldn't just be the president, but symbols that were protected.

There would be hundreds of staff deployed under your scenario, with different tasks, that is the high end of high risk.

I am tempted to write a Rifter Article detailing all of the Emperors defenses (probably do it tomorrow) but I just in case I don't get around to it I thought I'd share this for those who might be interested. I hope you enjoy! :)

Don't forget to highlight the vanguards role in it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Akashic Soldier wrote:I contacted a number of sites making inquiries about the standard practices for protecting the President of the United States if there was a chance he would be at risk of harm or assassination threats or attempts had been made and I recently received the following written reply:

That is an interesting way to get yourself on the no-fly list.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Giant2005 wrote:

That is an interesting way to get yourself on the no-fly list.

Along with the warrantless surveillance of all your communications courtesy of the NSA.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Nightmask wrote:Along with the warrantless surveillance of all your communications courtesy of the NSA.

So long as I am innocent I shouldn't have anything to worry about. :lol:

To Niki and the others who made suggestions, thank you. I will keep that in mind. :D
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Don't forget to highlight the vanguards role in it.
Perhaps their Astral Mages could co-operate with PsiBat's Astral Lords in making bolt holes for him.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

We had a clever Nightbane player who got rid of the Emperor by yanking him through a mirror and just left him in the Nightlands...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

You're assuming mirrors in Rifts earth lead to the nightlands. I'm pretty sure there are a million other places they lead in considering the nature of the game.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Alrik Vas wrote:You're assuming mirrors in Rifts earth lead to the nightlands. I'm pretty sure there are a million other places they lead in considering the nature of the game.

It leads to the nightlands according to Dark conversions.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Alrik Vas
Knight

All mirrors do? That's pretty lame. There's a lot more lore around mirrors to use than Nightbane.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Why would Prosek need mirrors when all his grooming would be done by servants?
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Tor wrote:Why would Prosek need mirrors when all his grooming would be done by servants?

In power armor...If the cool pic at the end on Rifts Ultimate edition suggest, is that everyone around Prosek is either in full combat armor or a Dog Boy... :lol:
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

The only power armor I see in that 2-page spread is a Glitter Boy Killer, and he doesn't look like he's grooming anything, unless it's Joseph.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Tor wrote:The only power armor I see in that 2-page spread is a Glitter Boy Killer, and he doesn't look like he's grooming anything, unless it's Joseph.

Well is not the right time of the day...this is Mutilated-D-bee-interrogation time, a little divertissement before lunch.(we really need to make a timetable for the typical day in the life not just of Emperor Prosek but for all the major figureheads of Rifts Earth)
Alrik Vas
Knight

The Baron of chaos wrote:(we really need to make a timetable for the typical day in the life not just of Emperor Prosek but for all the major figureheads of Rifts Earth)

The Imperial Schedule: A Day in the Life

5:00AM: Hide dead hooker body, begin recovering from overnight bender
6:00AM: Pretend to wake up when alarm goes off
6:02AM: Curse Erin Tarn
6:07AM: Put call down to the ISS to see if Erin has said anything about him.
6:30AM: Breakfast and Intelligence sit-down
7:00AM: Get cleaned up, dressed and pressed
7:30AM: Order the deaths of some random noob D-Bees
7:31AM: Cackle Madly
7:36AM: Go over reports from R&D, scratch head at information from Lone Star
8:00AM: Appear on Good Morning Coalition States
9:00AM: Facepalm when ISS reports Erin Tarn is dating Lazlo
9:03AM: Yell at Joseph and tell him he was an accident because he called at a bad time.
10:00AM: Catch up on the televised news (actually just channel surfing, maybe some over-the-phone shopping)
10:30AM: Sit on throne, steeple fingers
11:00AM: Drink some Scotch, listen to people's petitions
11:30AM: After too many drinks, order the execution of the next guy who asks about literacy eductation
11:42AM: Take it back because a total babe is making the case, but have her assistant put to the torch
NOON: Light lunch
12:30PM: Hit the gym
1:30PM: Watch origianl DVD of Dukes of Hazard Movie
2:27PM: Fall asleep on couch while movie is on
3:16PM: Get woken up by Joseph, have argument about his mother, slap him and tell him to get out
3:45PM: Drink more scotch
5:00PM: Start on a new bottle
6:00PM: Sign some law, not really knowing what it is. Hopefully it doesn't have to do with literacy
6:35PM: Gets it together, water in the face, a quick swig, button up the uniform and go to make a litany about the evils of magic and d-bees.
6:59PM: Just before going out to the podium, tell an aide to get some carne asada burritos
7:45PM: Dinner after speech, take a lift back to the residence, make sure to play appropriate amount of gangsta rap
8:00PM: Start drinking again
8:20PM-4:45AM: Things get a little fuzzy
4:46AM: Wake up next to a hooker still partially wearing a scholar robe, a giant leaf and a short, white hair wig, she was strangled to death by the collection of fake talismans around her neck. Operations calls, tells you all designated targets for the sortie ordered last night have been bombed, including the old Imperial Tutor's house and wants to know when they can let the heir out of the Dogboy kennel.
4:48AM: Gripped by a moment of panic, but it passes, the Emperor does not have to hide his own bodies.
5:00AM: And the day begins anew...

Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Decided this was the incorrect place for such a discussion, removed so as not to detract from topic :-).
Last edited by Dr Megaverse on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

Little Snuzzles wrote:
Tor wrote:Why would Prosek need mirrors when all his grooming would be done by servants?

To preen in front of the mirror and tell himself what a stud he is. :P

Why use a mirror when a webcam and a HD view screen does the job as well and allows for multi-tasking.
Ed
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Alrik Vas wrote:
The Baron of chaos wrote:(we really need to make a timetable for the typical day in the life not just of Emperor Prosek but for all the major figureheads of Rifts Earth)

The Imperial Schedule: A Day in the Life

5:00AM: Hide dead hooker body, begin recovering from overnight bender
6:00AM: Pretend to wake up when alarm goes off
6:02AM: Curse Erin Tarn
6:07AM: Put call down to the ISS to see if Erin has said anything about him.
6:30AM: Breakfast and Intelligence sit-down
7:00AM: Get cleaned up, dressed and pressed
7:30AM: Order the deaths of some random noob D-Bees
7:31AM: Cackle Madly
7:36AM: Go over reports from R&D, scratch head at information from Lone Star
8:00AM: Appear on Good Morning Coalition States
9:00AM: Facepalm when ISS reports Erin Tarn is dating Lazlo
9:03AM: Yell at Joseph and tell him he was an accident because he called at a bad time.
10:00AM: Catch up on the televised news (actually just channel surfing, maybe some over-the-phone shopping)
10:30AM: Sit on throne, steeple fingers
11:00AM: Drink some Scotch, listen to people's petitions
11:30AM: After too many drinks, order the execution of the next guy who asks about literacy eductation
11:42AM: Take it back because a total babe is making the case, but have her assistant put to the torch
NOON: Light lunch
12:30PM: Hit the gym
1:30PM: Watch origianl DVD of Dukes of Hazard Movie
2:27PM: Fall asleep on couch while movie is on
3:16PM: Get woken up by Joseph, have argument about his mother, slap him and tell him to get out
3:45PM: Drink more scotch
5:00PM: Start on a new bottle
6:00PM: Sign some law, not really knowing what it is. Hopefully it doesn't have to do with literacy
6:35PM: Gets it together, water in the face, a quick swig, button up the uniform and go to make a litany about the evils of magic and d-bees.
6:59PM: Just before going out to the podium, tell an aide to get some carne asada burritos
7:45PM: Dinner after speech, take a lift back to the residence, make sure to play appropriate amount of gangsta rap
8:00PM: Start drinking again
8:20PM-4:45AM: Things get a little fuzzy
4:46AM: Wake up next to a hooker still partially wearing a scholar robe, a giant leaf and a short, white hair wig, she was strangled to death by the collection of fake talismans around her neck. Operations calls, tells you all designated targets for the sortie ordered last night have been bombed, including the old Imperial Tutor's house and wants to know when they can let the heir out of the Dogboy kennel.
4:48AM: Gripped by a moment of panic, but it passes, the Emperor does not have to hide his own bodies.
5:00AM: And the day begins anew...

:lol:

This was all hilarious.

KP must kill more hookers then D-bees. :D
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Does it have to be a "legit" mirror to access the nightlands or will any old reflective surface do? Better stay away from that shiny chrome PA or the bogey man will get ya'!
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Does it have to be a "legit" mirror to access the nightlands or will any old reflective surface do? Better stay away from that shiny chrome PA or the bogey man will get ya'!

it has to be a real mirror, and it has to be a permanent fixture in the area. you could move a desk mirror around your room and it'd still link to the night lands, but car mirrors don't, they move around too much to get a matching mirror in the nightlands set up--well, unless the car is sitting there for months broken down.

Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Does it have to be a "legit" mirror to access the nightlands or will any old reflective surface do? Better stay away from that shiny chrome PA or the bogey man will get ya'!

it has to be a real mirror, and it has to be a permanent fixture in the area. you could move a desk mirror around your room and it'd still link to the night lands, but car mirrors don't, they move around too much to get a matching mirror in the nightlands set up--well, unless the car is sitting there for months broken down.

So no using the nearest Glitterboy to access the Night Lands.
Ed
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Ed wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

So no using the nearest Glitterboy to access the Night Lands.

Correct. there's also a vauge size limit. not specifically defined but pocket mirrors, ect, don't work even if left alone.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Little Snuzzles wrote:To preen in front of the mirror and tell himself what a stud he is. :P
He doesn't need a mirror to do this. Prosek knows better how he is than any silly mirror does. Heck, I heard mages can even change what mirrors show. They clearly at not to be trusted. Prosek is clearly better looking than any stupid mirror might indicate, with its deceptive illusions.

Ed wrote:Why use a mirror when a webcam and a HD view screen does the job as well and allows for multi-tasking.

Is anyone else suddenly thinking about the Weeping Angels of the Whoverse?

Return to “Rifts®”