Best use of an Animal Tattoo

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Best use of an Animal Tattoo

Unread post by Mack »

I was perusing the various magical tattoos and was thinking about how a character doesn't need more than one or two of the animal tattoos. Get a dog or wolf that you can use for as a sentry, and maybe a horse that can be used as a beast of burden (but keep in mind you don't get a saddle/harness) and that's pretty much it.

Which lead me to thinking that there's got to be more uses for an animal tattoo...

The Challenge!
What's the best use for an animal tattoo that you can think of?

My entry: A Spider Monkey! With it's climbing ability and prehensile hands, it would have a variety of mundane uses (get this, carry that, bring me that...).

And then I had a few pseudo-combat thoughts little fella:
1) "See this grenade pin? Those guys over there have a bunch on their chests... go get the pins."
2) Or you could make a little suicide vest for him. Yes, you'd take Hit Point damage when he dies, but it may very well be worth it.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Best use of an Animal Tattoo

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I actually like simple guard dogs. Why? because they have all the normal abilities of dogs, and dogs in rifts have the innate ability to see the invisible and detect evil supernatural beings.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

would the tattoo ones have that ability though? its not mentioned in the animal stats in the book of magic.
also, per monsters and animals (where that shows up, its not mentioned in rifts specifically, AFAIK), all animals have that supernatural sensing ability, not just canines.

a wolf would be preferable over a dog, because wolves share a dogs senses but are more combat capable. and IMO, a tiger would be preferable over either. their senses aren't quite as acute, but no one would mess with a tiger.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

glitterboy2098 wrote:would the tattoo ones have that ability though? its not mentioned in the animal stats in the book of magic.
also, per monsters and animals (where that shows up, its not mentioned in rifts specifically, AFAIK), all animals have that supernatural sensing ability, not just canines.

a wolf would be preferable over a dog, because wolves share a dogs senses but are more combat capable. and IMO, a tiger would be preferable over either. their senses aren't quite as acute, but no one would mess with a tiger.

The book however clearly says that the abilities listed are only quick combat stats for those who don't have the monsters & animals book, so having it is not completely necessary to make use of animal tattoos. it does however refer you to it for the full writeup and says that they have all natural abilities of each creature. the fact that quick stat blocks left out a useful ability does not mean that tattoo lacks that ability, it just means they didn't have space to reprint the entire entry.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

While I understand glitterboy's comment about a tiger, the problem is that it's still an SDC tiger and wouldn't be all that useful in combat (especially considering that the T-man is quite likely to be MDC himself). That's why I'm looking for new/unique uses for an animal tattoo.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Mack wrote:While I understand glitterboy's comment about a tiger, the problem is that it's still an SDC tiger and wouldn't be all that useful in combat (especially considering that the T-man is quite likely to be MDC himself). That's why I'm looking for new/unique uses for an animal tattoo.

What about a Jason Richards tattoo?

My Splugorth master said it was "too gross."
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

hrmmm... presumably a beaver could build watertight structures. with the right friend, those structures could be MDC.

but really, if you're looking for crazy stuff, try a search of cracked.com i'd say. i mean, i'd give you a link, but i'm fairly certain we're not supposed to link to sites inappropriate for a general audience, and well... cracked is not particularly appropriate for kids :P

but yeah, there's good odds that some of the articles there will give you some ideas :)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Elephant?
can be used as both a mount for several people and a pack animal, the trunk can be used to pick up large objects, and it has enough SDC to possibly survive one hit by a light MDC weapon.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

One idea is the Venomous animals, Spiders, Scorpions, Toads as a means to poison SDC foes.

Another idea is an animal, perhaps the skunk itself, that can plant overwhelming scents. Any other animal that would cause even trained canines to be less effective.

A mouse to chase off anyone's elephat tatoo?

You can ride a dolphin right ;-)
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Hehe... a skunk would make for good practical jokes.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Shark_Force
Palladin

actually, just had another thought. do you ever get a chance to talk with chuck walton? crazy things that animals can do is, as far as i can tell, one of his interests :P he may have some pretty awesome ideas for you ^^
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Bird and Bat for flight scouting. mouse/ant/fly for getting into spaces and not being seen scouting. Horse/camel for riding. Mule/donkey for hauling. Spider for making people spaz out and do the dance.
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

glitterboy2098 wrote:Elephant?
can be used as both a mount for several people and a pack animal, the trunk can be used to pick up large objects, and it has enough SDC to possibly survive one hit by a light MDC weapon.

Elephant is a good choice, always usefull to be able to summon an animal that can pull your vehichle out if it's stuck.

Birds are a great choice, especially ones large enough to carry something. They are also a great choice for gathering food. A hawk or other such large predatory bird can always kill a few rabbits for you when you are otherwise occupied or don't feel like hunting yourself, or when you just aren't having much luck. Anything that can provide you with food is worthwhile.

Next up is something to help you swim. Dolphin maybe for this choice? Getting across a river or lake made easier, as well as helping someone else do it as well.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Thunderduck
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

A skunk is awesome, i think. Makes your target incredibly easy to track. And they might spend an action dodging it's spray in a fight, giving you a small advantage.

I mean, think about it realistically. You're a tough guy, you're going to beat up another tough guy...when suddenly a skunk appears and it looks like he wants to give you a hug. Tell me most people wouldn't go "Oh @#*(%!" and run, go ahead.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Eashamahel
Hero

Would the 'scent' ability of the skunk remain after the skunk 'creation' was cancelled? Similarly, what about the poisons of created snakes and insects?

If 'yes' then milking poisonous insects for their venom has potential, as you could do it to the most poisonous creatures with little to no danger to yourself, and by re-summoning at a far faster rate than if you were doing it in a captive environment. For that matter, having a milk cow as a tatoo would be a great idea!

That being said, anything the 'creation' itself creates should probably disappear as soon as the duration ends, with the possible exception of venom, as someone already poisoned could still be said to have taken the 'damage' previously, but would surely recover soon after as the poison is no longer inside of them.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Gorilla or Chimp because they can use your weapon tattoos.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

I don't know how tattoo magic works but here are some of my ideas:

Platypus: Amphibious, Poisonous and can sense neurological activity.

Horse: If all animals can't sense supernatural Lone Star specifically says horse have that ability. They are riding animals. And You could sell it to someone for a lot of money (and recall it/unsummon it when safely away)

Rattlesnake: sense heat, poisonous, subtle alarm for entire party

Elephant: for already mentioned purposes plus long range communication (though only with other elephants or low frequency user) and as a recording device (though kind of a stretch)

Vulture: Finding dead bodies is a useful ability. Projectile vomit could probably horrify anyone

Raven/Crows: Flying thieves. Plus they are super smart.
Incriptus
Hero

Another idea would be a parrot or any other animal capable of vocalization.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

ZorValachan wrote:Bird and Bat for flight scouting. mouse/ant/fly for getting into spaces and not being seen scouting.

I don't see those as useful because the animals are not capable of communicating with you. At best you could say that since they came back alive, nothing killed them.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

a cat because they are great animals. love my Thor and my Pancake Mix
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Mack wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:Bird and Bat for flight scouting. mouse/ant/fly for getting into spaces and not being seen scouting.

I don't see those as useful because the animals are not capable of communicating with you. At best you could say that since they came back alive, nothing killed them.

If you have tiny cameras they are effectively drones (or have telepathy)
Eashamahel
Hero

Would Telepathy even work on them? They aren't actually alive, but magical constructs.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Some animals are used in pollination process, so an individual with animal tattoos could involve himself in agriculture if he/she has the correct animals.

If one is not limited to the list of animals in the Tattoo section, but can also select D-Bee animals... A Land Ray Tat. Animal could be potent (found in Psycape, has Psychic powers) for extra support. Granted getting into D-Bee animals may boarder on the Monster Tats (or is it SDC = Animal, MDC = Monster?)
Eashamahel
Hero

It's generally SDC = Animal, MDC = Monster, which is a strange distinction, but probably the only way they could make it work.

Also, never considered animals with psychic powers before. Closest I'v ever come is natural magic abilities (made most of the Monsters out of the back of the RMB over the years).
Khord - Lizard Mage
Explorer

Unread post by Khord - Lizard Mage »

Eye Killer was one of my favorite monster tattoos. I had a wolf and a tiger as my two animal tattoos on my undead slayer back in the day. A bear would also be a good sdc animal.
"It's not just a Race, it's an occupation." - Khord

"Fear the Evil Red D20" - R.I.P. Arne Karl Swenson
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Eashamahel wrote:having a milk cow as a tatoo would be a great idea!
Assuming our tattoo animals can produce milk, wouldn't it possible vanish along with their bodies once it got dispelled?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Shark_Force
Palladin

personally, i think some of the animals that have natural contact poisons (very strong ones, at that), would be very interesting =S

one thing that would definitely be interesting, though, is to see some more animals from other dimensions :)
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

So disappointed that Sharkforce didn't say shark. Giant Squid might be a better choice though
Shark_Force
Palladin

actually, if we're talking aquatic creatures i prefer an octopus.

why, you ask?

well, some kinds of octopus have mad skills when it comes to hiding. as in, they can change not just their colour, but also their shape and texture. it's kinda terrifying.

also, some kinds of octopus can actually run around on land for a brief period of time.

also there happens to be a remarkably poisonous type of octopus. it's small, unobtrusive, stealthy, and it's bite can paralyze someone (including their lungs, requiring external breathing assistance and also requiring that someone recognize what needs to be done) and has no currently known antidote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-ringed_octopus

in theory, if the paralysis can affect MDC creatures (obviously, you would need to pierce the skin first, for example by envenoming the tip of a vibro-blade), you could even potentially subdue or kill MDC creatures with the venom, since death comes by paralysis of the lungs, and even the biggest, nastiest dinosaur needs to breathe =S

also, being such a small creature, it most likely won't take much PPE to summon.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Use natural fliers or climbers to string rope for you to climb.

Other uses in general:
-plant/retrieve evidence
-set traps
-Acquire small items
-create diversions or act as decoys
-part of a performance act (Circus, Magic, etc)
Eashamahel
Hero

Tor wrote:
Eashamahel wrote:having a milk cow as a tatoo would be a great idea!
Assuming our tattoo animals can produce milk, wouldn't it possible vanish along with their bodies once it got dispelled?

Yeah, it REALLY shouldn't work to allow you to get anything permanent from summoned creatures who themselves are not flesh and blood, but solid magical energy. I actually posted this as well:

"Would the 'scent' ability of the skunk remain after the skunk 'creation' was cancelled? Similarly, what about the poisons of created snakes and insects?

If 'yes' then milking poisonous insects for their venom has potential, as you could do it to the most poisonous creatures with little to no danger to yourself, and by re-summoning at a far faster rate than if you were doing it in a captive environment. For that matter, having a milk cow as a tatoo would be a great idea!

That being said, anything the 'creation' itself creates should probably disappear as soon as the duration ends, with the possible exception of venom, as someone already poisoned could still be said to have taken the 'damage' previously, but would surely recover soon after as the poison is no longer inside of them."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Assuming tattooed animals produce poison at all (do we have any example of NPCs with tats where it goes out of its way to specify poisonous like it matters?) I kinda like the idea that if you kill the snake, the poison vanishes with it, as a way of saving someone who got bit.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Incriptus
Hero

Tor wrote:Assuming tattooed animals produce poison at all (do we have any example of NPCs with tats where it goes out of its way to specify poisonous like it matters?) I kinda like the idea that if you kill the snake, the poison vanishes with it, as a way of saving someone who got bit.

Well the Spider (Poisonous) & Snake Poisonous) are options printed in my version of the book. They list the poison as just doing 4d6 damage. I'm guessing the damage wouldn't go away when the time is up, but if you want a non-damage effect it would be time to negotiate with the GM.
Shark_Force
Palladin

the description of animal tattoos also goes out of it's way to mention poison and stuff like that, iirc.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Shark_Force wrote:the description of animal tattoos also goes out of it's way to mention poison and stuff like that, iirc.

Atlantis PG 90 Scorpion: The same size as a common scorpion, it behaves as a living
scorpion would, its sting is poisonous.

If we infer a scorpion can be poisonous then a cow should have milk. and it would not disappear at death.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

hmm.. would whales count as animals or monsters?

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

so if your in ocean campaigns often, a whale tattoo might be worth trying. certainly would make for an interesting mount.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shark_Force
Palladin

i'm not sure a whale would count as either in rifts earth. aren't they intelligent, to the point of having developed their own style of magic? and the smaller types of whales (by which i mean, killer whales) are capable of using specially designed vehicles that are almost like a power armour suit...
Eashamahel
Hero

Greyaxe wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:the description of animal tattoos also goes out of it's way to mention poison and stuff like that, iirc.

Atlantis PG 90 Scorpion: The same size as a common scorpion, it behaves as a living

If we infer a scorpion can be poisonous then a cow should have milk. and it would not disappear at death.

This is a terrible road to go down. It's best to just assume that the 'poison' has done it's damage and dissapears with the creature when the time elapses, otherwise you may find yourslef in a situation where someone's Monster Tatoo is just summoned to have a horn/claw/whatever knocked off of it and then sold to alchemists, used by necromancers, or other ridiculousness.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Eashamahel wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:

This is a terrible road to go down. It's best to just assume that the 'poison' has done it's damage and dissapears with the creature when the time elapses, otherwise you may find yourslef in a situation where someone's Monster Tatoo is just summoned to have a horn/claw/whatever knocked off of it and then sold to alchemists, used by necromancers, or other ridiculousness.

Not really, while the creature itself is a construct of pure energy (making harvesting body parts impossible) there's no reason why it couldn't have secretions (like poisons or milk) that are matter and permanent. It could operate in a fashion similar to how Create Wood gathers random loose atoms to fabricate actual wood, with the magical animal construct gathering loose atoms to fabricate secretions common to the animal in question.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Other uses for animal tattoos:
-construction (some animals do build nests)
-hunting/gathering/fishing

Both of the above can be done while the Tat. man does something else, while he dispatches the appropriate animal(s) to those tasks.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Nightmask wrote:while the creature itself is a construct of pure energy (making harvesting body parts impossible) there's no reason why it couldn't have secretions (like poisons or milk) that are matter and permanent. It could operate in a fashion similar to how Create Wood gathers random loose atoms to fabricate actual wood, with the magical animal construct gathering loose atoms to fabricate secretions common to the animal in question.

This begs the question, if there were some means to keep an animal tattoo active for a long enough duration (perhaps a permanency ward? not sure if that works on tats like it does spells) could it procreate with other animals of its species?
Eashamahel
Hero

A terrible road to go down.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

-DISCLAIMER-
I don't know jack about magic tattoos.

So here's my theory; you have two animal tattoos, almost identical, except one is male and the other is female...

you breed them together, and in a single animal birthing cycle, BOOM! Free magic tattoo.

:-P
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Dog_O_War wrote:-DISCLAIMER-
I don't know jack about magic tattoos.

So here's my theory; you have two animal tattoos, almost identical, except one is male and the other is female...

you breed them together, and in a single animal birthing cycle, BOOM! Free magic tattoo.

:-P

nah. just start off with a tattoo of a pregnant female animal that is very far along :P
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Eashamahel wrote:A terrible road to go down.

That's a subjective issue. If I have a Simple Animal: Dog Tattoo and that Hound Mistress from Pg 73 of Dead Reign comes along and wants to borrow it for some special training exercises, who am I to judge?

Dog_O_War wrote:you have two animal tattoos, almost identical, except one is male and the other is female...

Well no, the offspring would just be a normal animal. Plus it wouldn't be free, because even if magic animals don't need food, a developing fetus inside the mother would need food, so you'd have to pay for the food.

Shark_Force wrote:just start off with a tattoo of a pregnant female animal that is very far along :P
That would give you an animal that looked pregnant, not one that was. Also I don't think you can specialize magic tattoos to that degree. It's stretch enough that you can summon a 'silver knife' as a simple non-magic weapon.
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Firesong wrote:Could you have a sea anenome tattoo. I think they are hard to classify as plant or animal? Certainly it would make a good distraction. Keep using it a lot and the CS will start to think a rift opened nearby ("What the hell is that?"). Or they may open fire thus using up valuable E-clips against your ever returning Anenome (It'd be like 2 P.P.E. a pop. They shoot one, summon again).

I like the way you think.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Firesong wrote:they may open fire thus using up valuable E-clips against your ever returning Anenome (It'd be like 2 P.P.E. a pop. They shoot one, summon again).
The minimum PPE for summoning animals is 10, where did you get 2?
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Lesser Ugglies from Phase World. Can actually eat through MDC materials. Talos Mind Worm depending on your GM who might say the book says no pwoers can be transferred to the T-man so you can't get the psionic powers from the worm. Probably require a little lead time to allow it to burrow under the skin but could be worth it.

Return to “Rifts®”