mystic knight vs vampire

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gelidus
Explorer

mystic knight vs vampire

Unread post by gelidus »

I know there is one or two classes that can charge a e-clip with ppe and then have it count as magic against vampires. Is the mystic knight one of them or did I get confused on this point?
cornholioprime wrote: You are absolutely right, Gelidus.....but I'll never admit it. :D
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: mystic knight vs vampire

Unread post by The Beast »

That's the first I've heard of that being counted as a magic attack.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

gelidus wrote:I know there is one or two classes that can charge a e-clip with ppe and then have it count as magic against vampires. Is the mystic knight one of them or did I get confused on this point?

The mystic knight cannot, no. they can charge PPE clips but it just counts as normal energy.

I'm not sure what other class you had in mind.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

Probably confusing Sea Inquisitors and Mystic Knights
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

yeah, i don't think there's anyone who can charge an e-clip and make it count as magic.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Shark_Force wrote:yeah, i don't think there's anyone who can charge an e-clip and make it count as magic.

Maybe, if you put an eye of elroy on a laser gun it get infinte ammo, i might allow that as a form of magical attack. Its also a million credits to do so. For a million credits and a gun that attracts cs dog boys like a ham steak id allow it.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Magically provided energy does not make the result of consuming that energy magical.

I have no idea if that statement is supported by canon, but that's certainly how I treat it.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
gelidus
Explorer

Unread post by gelidus »

Zamion138 wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:yeah, i don't think there's anyone who can charge an e-clip and make it count as magic.

Maybe, if you put an eye of elroy on a laser gun it get infinte ammo, i might allow that as a form of magical attack. Its also a million credits to do so. For a million credits and a gun that attracts cs dog boys like a ham steak id allow it.

Malvoren (sp) can do exactly that
cornholioprime wrote: You are absolutely right, Gelidus.....but I'll never admit it. :D
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

in a modern campaign the sea inquisitor took a nine iron to a local vampire gang. the quickly learned to aviod the docks lol.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Now, it is possible to have a techno-wizard convert a gun to run on PPE INSTEAD OF e-clips, and that I might allow to hurt vampires, ect.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Now, it is possible to have a techno-wizard convert a gun to run on PPE INSTEAD OF e-clips, and that I might allow to hurt vampires, ect.

Given (unless they've changed the text) the book says that the conversion process only changes the power source and everything else is unchanged the gun shouldn't be hurting creatures that require magic to affect because the battery being magic isn't making the attacks magic.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
flatline
Knight

Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Now, it is possible to have a techno-wizard convert a gun to run on PPE INSTEAD OF e-clips, and that I might allow to hurt vampires, ect.

Given (unless they've changed the text) the book says that the conversion process only changes the power source and everything else is unchanged the gun shouldn't be hurting creatures that require magic to affect because the battery being magic isn't making the attacks magic.

I don't remember seeing mention of converting power sources in RUE. It was prominent in RMB, so I find that to be a curious omission. We didn't like how converting the power source potentially changed the weapon damage or range, so we ignored that rule and left the weapon characteristics (damage, range, payload, etc) unchanged.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Nightmask
Palladin

flatline wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

I don't remember seeing mention of converting power sources in RUE. It was prominent in RMB, so I find that to be a curious omission. We didn't like how converting the power source potentially changed the weapon damage or range, so we ignored that rule and left the weapon characteristics (damage, range, payload, etc) unchanged.

--flatline

That was how the Gizmoteer class handled it as well, not that it wasn't an obvious contradiction in the Rifts book when originally published to state how 'only the power source is changed' for the Techno-Wizard and yet the actual conversion details generic'd all the weapons so that they all had an identical set of abilities no matter what was actually converted.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Nightmask wrote:

I know, that's why I said "I may let", I.E. houserule. I wasn't saying that was the actual rule.

gelidus
Explorer

Unread post by gelidus »

Although it does make me wonder we have two races that can use normal wepaons against vamps what else is there?
flatline
Knight

I never liked Palladium's take on vampires. I don't mind the regeneration, but I hate the near invulnerability coupled with stupid weaknesses.

--flatline

Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Almost seems like they needed the super water weakness to justify only having vamps in Mexico lol.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

flatline wrote:I never liked Palladium's take on vampires. I don't mind the regeneration, but I hate the near invulnerability coupled with stupid weaknesses.

--flatline

What kind of vampires don't have stupid weaknesses?
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
gelidus
Explorer

Unread post by gelidus »

Talavar wrote:
flatline wrote:I never liked Palladium's take on vampires. I don't mind the regeneration, but I hate the near invulnerability coupled with stupid weaknesses.

--flatline

Very true
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

Talavar wrote:

--flatline

Actually, the ones in the "Noble Dead" series by Barb and JC Hendee are done rather well.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Jedrious wrote:
Talavar wrote:

--flatline

Actually, the ones in the "Noble Dead" series by Barb and JC Hendee are done rather well.

Vampires as a legendary monster are pretty much defined by their stupid weaknesses - whether it's running water, "special" water, wooden camping equipment, lower case t's, spilled seeds, magic dirt, the colour yellow (that last one might have been Green Lantern), Palladium is hardly alone in having vampires having to worry about some ridiculous stuff.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Talavar wrote:
Jedrious wrote:
Talavar wrote:

--flatline

Vampires as a legendary monster are pretty much defined by their stupid weaknesses - whether it's running water, "special" water, wooden camping equipment, lower case t's, spilled seeds, magic dirt, the colour yellow (that last one might have been Green Lantern), Palladium is hardly alone in having vampires having to worry about some ridiculous stuff.

Yea they just ran with te tradtional vampire weakness instead of tring to use the modern romatisized vampires.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Talavar wrote:

--flatline

Anne Rice's.

Once they get old enough even sunlight can't kill them. And the rest of the classic vampire weaknesses simply don't apply to them.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

cornholioprime wrote:
Talavar wrote:

--flatline

Anne Rice's.

Once they get old enough even sunlight can't kill them. And the rest of the classic vampire weaknesses simply don't apply to them.

I don't know, being crushed by your own ennui and self-absorption could still be considered a stupid weakness....
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I would say yes because at that point you are shooting magic not lasers or whatever. Still if you are going to TW a weapon up make a good TW super soaker if you are fighting vamps.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Especially since it would be shooting sun light.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

--flatline

Working on that.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

I just want to know where Palladium got water as bothering Vampires.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Nightmask
Palladin

SittingBull wrote:I just want to know where Palladium got water as bothering Vampires.

Vampires can't cross running water in most RL lore so they inflated that to the idea that running water even from a water pistol is harmful to them.

Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Nightmask wrote:
SittingBull wrote:I just want to know where Palladium got water as bothering Vampires.

Vampires can't cross running water in most RL lore so they inflated that to the idea that running water even from a water pistol is harmful to them.

Also in "lost boys" water hurts vampires...though they did put garlic in said water.......i base my life on the arch types presented to us in lost boys hehehehe
Nightmask
Palladin

Zamion138 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Also in "lost boys" water hurts vampires...though they did put garlic in said water.......i base my life on the arch types presented to us in lost boys hehehehe

Check out Monster Squad, Fat Kid drives off Dracula with a garlic-heavy slice of pizza. In the novel One Foot In The Grave (where WM. Mark Simmons shows a scary amount of research into all kinds of vampire lore around the world and details a fair amount of it) garlic oil is used to incapacitate the protagonist as he's a semi-vampire (he's somehow stuck partway through the transformation, still having some human features but also subject to some vampire vulnerabilities).

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

SittingBull wrote:

Actually, TW's are specifically barred from doing that with globe of daylight. mostly because globe of daylight can't hurt vampires period.

wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
SittingBull wrote:

Actually, TW's are specifically barred from doing that with globe of daylight. mostly because globe of daylight can't hurt vampires period.

Which I have always found to be ridiculous. It's still sunlight, only with the TW enhancements it is amplified to do real damage.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

except the point is globe of daylight isn't real sunlight so amplifying it can't make it so.

Or you could just get an air warlock to cast globe of true daylight, which would work

SittingBull
Hero

Nightmask wrote:

Wow I have gamed for almost 30 years and never heard that. :shock:
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
SittingBull wrote:

But its real sunlight? Lightblade uses globe of daylight. :-(
Last edited by SittingBull on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

Zamion138 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Not normal water though, they lived on coast in their cave. >.>
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Wrong thread...
Last edited by Slight001 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

SittingBull wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
SittingBull wrote:

Lightblade is actually a spell in and of itself. Lightblade the TW item has globe of daylight in the chain of power source, but has nothing to do with the actual effect.

and either way, lightblade TW item can't destroy vamps permanently, it can just damage them as per the magical lightblade spell.

SittingBull
Hero

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
SittingBull wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
SittingBull wrote:

Lightblade is actually a spell in and of itself. Lightblade the TW item has globe of daylight in the chain of power source, but has nothing to do with the actual effect.

and either way, lightblade TW item can't destroy vamps permanently, it can just damage them as per the magical lightblade spell.

I stand corrected. Why does the item even have globe of daylight then as a spell needed?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Because in the origional Rifts TW rules, it was stated that all TW devices need a power source spell in the chain that drives the device, in addition to the actual effects. in fact, the entire starting TW list of spells was SOLELY power source spells, and they had to go out and learn any actual effect spells they wanted to use.

This requirement was done away with in RUE entirely, and their starting spell list has many more options, however, the TW items that were already made did not have their spell chains altered to remove "power source" spells that have no purpose in the device. that's why you'll notice that every TW item that was copied and pasted from first edition contains such a spell, even if it makes no obvious sense. for instance, magic optic system requires energy bolt dispite not doing damage, communications band has globe of daylight dispite emitting no light, ect. the Lightblade weapon was from a very eairly rifter and made using the "all TW devices must use one of the TW's starting spells as a power source" rule.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Talavar wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Talavar wrote:

--flatline

Anne Rice's.

I don't know, being crushed by your own ennui and self-absorption could still be considered a stupid weakness....
The point in her novels, about that particular aspect of being immortal, was to keep on loving and living for others.

I always get the names of The Twins mixed up (Mekare and Maharet, one of them utterly mindless) and forget which one is which, but the one that took care of her extended family and kept watch over them, over the millennia, was arguably the most sane vampire of them all.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Zamion138 wrote:in "lost boys" water hurts vampires...though they did put garlic in said water.......i base my life on the arch types presented to us in lost boys hehehehe
I believe the water they soaked the garlic in (they had it in a bath tub if I recall) was also holy too, wasn't it? Like blessed by a priest or something?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®”