Cyberpunk, Rifts.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Cyberpunk, Rifts.

Unread post by Ronin78 »

You know I'v seen a few times posted that Palladium doesnt have a Cyberpunk setting. But after looking over a few books I got an idea.

I could easily run cyberpunk with city rats. Especially with the variant in the biotech book. A group of mercs running on the streets of chi town.
Dodging CS patrols, Taking jobs from various gangs, Powerful patrons, And smuggling goods from zone to zone.
Deniable assets in the urban sprawl.

I think the only requirement would be to only allow OCCs from "street level" or lower power level OOCs.
Gamers are the only people I know that can brag about the things they pretend they did.

My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/
taalismn
Priest

Re: Cyberpunk, Rifts.

Unread post by taalismn »

That's what City Rats are for...and the Japanese high-tech cities with their corporate ninja. To a lesser extent, the Australian city-states. And, of course, Rifts Black Market is made for cyberpunk deal-cutting, corporate espionage, smuggling, and the occasional foray into the wilderness or mad science(like sneaking into a Lone Star farm to steal the new super cultivars that promise super crop yields, or hacking a CS R&D site to see what's what on rumors of new supersoldiers).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

The southern alliance from South America 2 is also kind of set up to be played as a cyberpunk/shadow run style setting. It only gets a couple paragraphs, but I think that leaves it wide open for development.
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

Well the southern alliance is basically a "We don't want to develop it, but here's the tech republic of Japan but in South America - run with it!" type of plot hook.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Ronin78 wrote:I could easily run cyberpunk with city rats. Especially with the variant in the biotech book. A group of mercs running on the streets of chi town.
Dodging CS patrols, Taking jobs from various gangs, Powerful patrons, And smuggling goods from zone to zone.
Deniable assets in the urban sprawl.

There are also several references to netrunning on the books.

Click on the upper-right button for an automatic google translation.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

MikelAmroni wrote:Well the southern alliance is basically a "We don't want to develop it, but here's the tech republic of Japan but in South America - run with it!" type of plot hook.

With super powerful magic users (that aren't detailed at all) and MDC humans from Wormwood, yes. In some respects, I wish more of Rifts were presented in that sort of mix and match style. So much material has been generated over the last 20 years, pulling a couple exciting elements from wildly different sources and mixing in a couple story hooks is more than enough to get a game off the ground. It tends to be how I run things anyway. :-D
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

personally i'm a big fan of post-cyberpunk themes, and try to incorporate them into stuff i do. though given the state of rifts, they tend to devolve into more plain cyberpunk themes due to the general dystopian nature of the world. though i'm willing to settle for islands of post-cyberpunk in an otherwise regular cyberpunk world. seems more natural than a mono-thematic setting..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:personally i'm a big fan of post-cyberpunk themes, and try to incorporate them into stuff i do. though given the state of rifts, they tend to devolve into more plain cyberpunk themes due to the general dystopian nature of the world. though i'm willing to settle for islands of post-cyberpunk in an otherwise regular cyberpunk world. seems more natural than a mono-thematic setting..

Surfin' the edge of the Singularity, are we? :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

taalismn wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:personally i'm a big fan of post-cyberpunk themes, and try to incorporate them into stuff i do. though given the state of rifts, they tend to devolve into more plain cyberpunk themes due to the general dystopian nature of the world. though i'm willing to settle for islands of post-cyberpunk in an otherwise regular cyberpunk world. seems more natural than a mono-thematic setting..

Surfin' the edge of the Singularity, are we? :D

not exactly, though i'll admit i like my post-cyberpunk with a few transhumanist elements.

the technological singularity is something i'm not convinced would actually happen, given the counter-pressures of human reactionism and the fact that the world is not uniformly advanced. not to mention the drag on technological progress created by late adopters and those who plain refuse to adopt something for personal/ethical/religious/social/political reasons.

but the kinds of technologies that could lead up to a singularity are great fodder for game material when divided up and applied in fashions that are internally balanced against the game setting. heck, rifts already has half of the stuff already. you have soft AI (such as skelebots), simple strong AI (like ARCHIE), cybernetics, basic biotech (mutant animals and biosystems), and some hints as to viable nanotech systems. plus very efficient and compact energy supplies and fairly developed fields of computers, optics, and metallurgy.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
TiekoSora
Explorer
Comment: I've made my saving throw to disbelieve.

Unread post by TiekoSora »

Way back in the 90's, I helped a guy write a setting that I hosted on my website, it was called Metroplex. I still have all the files, and almost all of it was fleshed out before he stopped playing any games. I used artwork from a couple artists, with their permission, and wrote some of the rules along with him. I have permission to continue to host it so long as I don't do so for profit. Let me dig it out and I will get with one of the guys on here with a website and we will talk about putting it up. Was a really good take on a Neuromancer type setting, with rules on doing things and combat in cyberspace. Oh the primary author in this endeavor was Barry Beldam out of Canada. I will only allow this stuff to be put online with the sole understanding that it will never be used for profit, because I have not been able to contact him in fifteen years or so.
They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
Torval
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Torval »

TiekoSora wrote:Way back in the 90's, I helped a guy write a setting that I hosted on my website, it was called Metroplex. I still have all the files, and almost all of it was fleshed out before he stopped playing any games. I used artwork from a couple artists, with their permission, and wrote some of the rules along with him. I have permission to continue to host it so long as I don't do so for profit. Let me dig it out and I will get with one of the guys on here with a website and we will talk about putting it up. Was a really good take on a Neuromancer type setting, with rules on doing things and combat in cyberspace. Oh the primary author in this endeavor was Barry Beldam out of Canada. I will only allow this stuff to be put online with the sole understanding that it will never be used for profit, because I have not been able to contact him in fifteen years or so.

Sounds like a fun read. Did you ever get it back online?
taalismn
Priest

I have vague recollections of Metroplex...back in the day when Palladium fansites were popping up all over.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

I came across the GURPS Cyberpunk book at our local used book store before it shut down. If nothing else it provides a lot of very interesting ideas and plotlines which are outside the Rifts universe, so they're a kind of fresh take! :)
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Tone down the magic or give a greater focus psychics and mutants and the burbs make pretty good terrain for cyberpunk-esque slums and stuff.
Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

TiekoSora wrote:Way back in the 90's, I helped a guy write a setting that I hosted on my website, it was called Metroplex. I still have all the files, and almost all of it was fleshed out before he stopped playing any games. I used artwork from a couple artists, with their permission, and wrote some of the rules along with him. I have permission to continue to host it so long as I don't do so for profit. Let me dig it out and I will get with one of the guys on here with a website and we will talk about putting it up. Was a really good take on a Neuromancer type setting, with rules on doing things and combat in cyberspace. Oh the primary author in this endeavor was Barry Beldam out of Canada. I will only allow this stuff to be put online with the sole understanding that it will never be used for profit, because I have not been able to contact him in fifteen years or so.

Sounds awesome, post it if you can. I'd love to read & possible use it as I'm a huge cyberpunk & RIFTS fan. So fusing both ia like mana of the gods to me .
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

Skraypers is sort of cyber punk
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Now that i think of it Rifts would be just the place for some Bubblegum Crisis brand of cyberpunk:
http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/bubblegum-crisis17.jpg
http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/b ... isis06.jpg
http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/b ... isis30.jpg
http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/bubblegum-crisis15.jpg

Genom Tower is pretty much a Coalition citadel with 20th century looking 'burbs around it.

Maybe a bit over the top for some poeple's idea of cyberpunk, but it was a little bit of something that crossed my mind.

Also, Juicer Uprising - gank the space 'roaches with a world domination plan and you have a blacker than black cyberpunk plot: make the people behind the "nanotech zombie juicer" plot a bunch of crazy scientists experimenting with immortality through machinery. Or the Coalition knew all along about the "actual colaterals" of the concept and went along with it, because dead mech-soldiers that rise to still fight for you are a bonus to any mercilessly pragmatic army, specially if the guinea pigs weren't citizens to begin with. Anyway loads of action, intrigue and cynicism to entertain any fan of the genre. Just my thoughts.

Return to “Rifts®”