The Behemoth Explorer...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

The Behemoth Explorer...

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

So someone asked me to do a floor plan of this robot, and the truth is I've always kind of wanted to, so I figured I'd give it a go.. Unfortunately, the dimensions are making my head hurt... So I've had to alter them. Instead of 60ft tall, 82ft long and 20ft wide, I'm going with 60ft tall, 62ft long and 40ft wide.

When I'm making a design and have the stats to begin with, I just make a transparent block to the dimensions, and built within the block. in this case, I did one of the full dimensions, then figured the body was actually only one third of the height and made a second block that was only 20ft tall. I then did a third block that was 10x15x20 (same volume as a 15ft cube, which would be the cargobay) and placed it inside the other block for reference...

Has anyone else considered these dimensions, and is anyone else interested in seeing the results of my efforts?

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
taalismn
Priest

Re: The Behemoth Explorer...

Unread post by taalismn »

By all means, Mike, I'd love to see what you come up with. Having seen various online blueprint/schematic efforts for everything from the Micronauts' Microship to Macross City aboard the SDF-1, to the Lego interior plans for the CS Mark V APC and the UAR-1 Enforcer robot...let's say I'm intrigued by schematics.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MADMANMIKE

Panomas wrote:Addtionally-

It might have some amount of interior space taken up-with the appendages (arms and legs), I know that probably doesn't make your job any easyer-Just sayin- :fl:

Yeah, I know it's not just a simple matter of filling the entire space; there's "empty" space for the internal workings of the machine as well.. The arms for example, I leave them visible while I build the interior so I know where to edge the mechanisms. Likewise there's angled edges on all parts that are accounted for..
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I would love to see the interior of such a vehicle. As a matter of fact, I would like to see the inside of a lot of Rifts vehicles. One of the things I always wanted to know is how the crew actually gets into the vehicle in the first place.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:By all means, Mike, I'd love to see what you come up with. Having seen various online blueprint/schematic efforts for everything from the Micronauts' Microship to Macross City aboard the SDF-1, to the Lego interior plans for the CS Mark V APC and the UAR-1 Enforcer robot...let's say I'm intrigued by schematics.

You did a deck plan for the Endeavour!?! :D :ok: :love:
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:
taalismn wrote:By all means, Mike, I'd love to see what you come up with. Having seen various online blueprint/schematic efforts for everything from the Micronauts' Microship to Macross City aboard the SDF-1, to the Lego interior plans for the CS Mark V APC and the UAR-1 Enforcer robot...let's say I'm intrigued by schematics.

You did a deck plan for the Endeavour!?! :D :ok: :love:

No, but I found a few online(http://johnmiic.deviantart.com/art/Endeavor-Deck-Plan-Alternate-97390844)...Bless the internet for allowing nerds to engage in such engineering exercises 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Yes, Mike I'd be very interested in it. In fact, I even try my best to do this. Hope this helps.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
MADMANMIKE

mobuttu wrote:Yes, Mike I'd be very interested in it. In fact, I even try my best to do this. Hope this helps.

Dude, that is brilliant! Well done!
taalismn
Priest

mobuttu wrote:Yes, Mike I'd be very interested in it. In fact, I even try my best to do this. Hope this helps.

Beautiful. 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MADMANMIKE

Okay, I started with deck two as it's the heaviest model-wise. Next Deck 1 (cargo and lab), then deck 3 (labs, bridge and observation). After that I'll do some exterior shots to do it justice.

Deck 2
taalismn
Priest

Good start, and a peaceful shade of purple-pink! :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MADMANMIKE

taalismn wrote:Good start, and a peaceful shade of purple-pink! :D

Ah yes, the Northern Gun standard issue survival blanket. Woven from the mane of the alien Kelt-Git-Kay (a six legged yak creature), highly durable but yes, a putrid color. An entire cottage industry has sprung up in the wastelands dying the hideous blankets blue.
Icefalcon
Champion

MADMANMIKE wrote:Okay, I started with deck two as it's the heaviest model-wise. Next Deck 1 (cargo and lab), then deck 3 (labs, bridge and observation). After that I'll do some exterior shots to do it justice.

Deck 2

Nicely rendered. I like the functional quality of the layout.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Okay, I started with deck two as it's the heaviest model-wise. Next Deck 1 (cargo and lab), then deck 3 (labs, bridge and observation). After that I'll do some exterior shots to do it justice.

Deck 2

Just wow :!:

PS. Communal bath...heck! Why didn't though about that! :eek:

mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

MADMANMIKE wrote:

Dude, that is brilliant! Well done!

Thanks for the suport! Yours is far better! :D

Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

I feel that the sleeping and bathroom accomidations in those plans are far too spacious and luxurious. 20 Beds on the 2nd Deck, 8 toliets and 7 showers!

A good rule of thumb would be one toliet for every 10 people. Bed can be stacked 3 high like on fast attack submarines. Internal shower facilities seem like a uncessary luxury. Set up some curtians and a water line when setting up camp for the night. The Behemoth Explorer isn't a cruise ship. It is designed for military and scientific expeditions. I expected it to be more spartan. Contrary to popular culture today, bathing daily is not a neccisity. My personal record is 27 days without a proper shower during the invasion of Iraq and 4 days at GenCon :D
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
MADMANMIKE

Wooly wrote:I feel that the sleeping and bathroom accomidations in those plans are far too spacious and luxurious. 20 Beds on the 2nd Deck, 8 toliets and 7 showers!

A good rule of thumb would be one toliet for every 10 people. Bed can be stacked 3 high like on fast attack submarines. Internal shower facilities seem like a uncessary luxury. Set up some curtians and a water line when setting up camp for the night. The Behemoth Explorer isn't a cruise ship. It is designed for military and scientific expeditions. I expected it to be more spartan. Contrary to popular culture today, bathing daily is not a neccisity. My personal record is 27 days without a proper shower during the invasion of Iraq and 4 days at GenCon :D

It was designed in the Golden Age for a bunch of pampered scientists to explore the surface of Mars...
taalismn
Priest

mobuttu wrote:

Deck 2

Just wow :!:

PS. Communal bath...heck! Why didn't though about that! :eek:

Yes, but if I read your blueprints right, every quarters has its own toilet....perhaps yours is the 'First Class' version? :wink: :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MADMANMIKE

Wooly wrote:I feel that the sleeping and bathroom accomidations in those plans are far too spacious and luxurious. 20 Beds on the 2nd Deck, 8 toliets and 7 showers!

Those are bunk beds too... It's "accommodations for 40 (60 if cramped)".. and there are 8 showers..
Icefalcon
Champion

Panomas wrote:Hey-not to be a kill joy but on what deck is the water stored?

I kind of want to know this as well.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Panomas wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:

Those are bunk beds too... It's "accommodations for 40 (60 if cramped)".. and there are 8 showers..

Hey-not to be a kill joy but on what deck is the water stored?

I has a high-efficiency atmospheric humidity condensers! or, as in planes, there are several watertight compartments through the hull.

I really don't know, but both are plausible explanations, aren't they? :D

Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

mobuttu wrote:
Panomas wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:

I has a high-efficiency atmospheric humidity condensers! or, as in planes, there are several watertight compartments through the hull.

I really don't know, but both are plausible explanations, aren't they? :D

I don't remember reading that the Behemoth Explorer was designed for Mars exploration. But wouldn't condensors be a poor choice if it was? Not much water vapor in the Martian atmosphere.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

MADMANMIKE wrote:

Bunk beds aren't what most would considered pampered. I would remove the bulkheads an elimate the "rooms" for all but officers and captain
MADMANMIKE

Water Storage is on deck one with the cargobay and one of the labs. Likewise, there is a substantial amount of hull not shown in the image; I only showed the arms and legs because they are significant to the positioning of the features (namely the two full bathrooms that have arm mechanics behind them).

Wooly wrote:Bunk beds aren't what most would considered pampered. I would remove the blukheads and eliminate the "rooms" for all but officers and captain

Knock yourself out. I can't wait to see what yours looks like. I'm just extrapolating from the descriptions in the books; it specifically states "10 quarters" in the books.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Hmmmm; the madding crowd here seems to be getting nitty picky beyond all ken? :roll:
Can't we just accept the gent in question is doing US a favour by at least attempting to put image to description (and by description I mean CANONICAL in-book, word-from-gawd-Kev Sim canon).
Oh right, I forgot; this is the internet, where it seems 90% are pathelogicaly incapable of being gracious and/or thankful for someone elses hard work... which, I might add in this case, they are NOT getting paid for.
IF you have the tools and talent to do better; please, by all means do so and present your work for critque.
Maybe someone will even give a nod of approval. :thwak:

Anyhoo to M.M.M.; keep up the good work. Looking forwards to seeing the complete set.

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

Besides, what are presented here can be seen as 'variants'...the basic frame might be manufactured by a single producer(and possibly a few knockoff coporations), but interiors can vary, depending on what the customer is willing to pay(especially since new-construction Behemoth Explorers are essentially custom-made; they're too expensive to mass-produce in hopes of a future surge in customers). And such design configurations don't always pan out...ten toilets might be a welcome luxury on a long trip(especially with a cook who doesn't know what they're doing), but if the water supply ain't up to it, it's going to be hell until civilization(as defined by modern plumbing) is, again, reached. Or the customer may specify the latest in recycling systems, at extra cost(unless they supply the systems themselves).

And if you have the BE offered by, say, Three Galaxies' manufacturers, the possible configurations....oye....Think what people do with RVs nowadays, and apply it to the B-Explorer.. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:Besides, what are presented here can be seen as 'variants'...the basic frame might be manufactured by a single producer(and possibly a few knockoff coporations), but interiors can vary, depending on what the customer is willing to pay(especially since new-construction Behemoth Explorers are essentially custom-made; they're too expensive to mass-produce in hopes of a future surge in customers). And such design configurations don't always pan out...ten toilets might be a welcome luxury on a long trip(especially with a cook who doesn't know what they're doing), but if the water supply ain't up to it, it's going to be hell until civilization(as defined by modern plumbing) is, again, reached. Or the customer may specify the latest in recycling systems, at extra cost(unless they supply the systems themselves).

And if you have the BE offered by, say, Three Galaxies' manufacturers, the possible configurations....oye....Think what people do with RVs nowadays, and apply it to the B-Explorer.. :D

Inertial damping and non-magnetic floating joint servos for a smoother ride, reactive multi-facing variable forcefields and CG-assisted "hop" system for those ravines too dangerous to traverse.
...and this is just for EXTERIOR.
Interior; your computer systems would be 10 or even a hundred times smaller and faster / effcient (freeing up space), Med-bay with auto-surgeon and regn tank, type III materials recycling system (using nanite based recovery modules), nano-tech reconfigurable furniture, fully enclosed holographic 'virtual' observation bay...

Yeah :shock: :D
Last edited by DhAkael on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leaves of the lotus rise

taalismn
Priest

DhAkael wrote:[Inertial damping and non-magnetic floating joint servos for a smoother ride, reactive multi-facing variable forcefields, and CG-assisted "hop" system for those ravines too dangerous to traverse.
Interior; your computer systems would be 10 or even a hundred times maller and faster / effcient, Med-bay with in-built auto-surgen and regn tank, type III materials recycling system (using nanite based recovery modules), nano-tech reconfigurable furniture, fully enclosed holographic 'virtual' observation bay.

Forgot the seat massagers...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:
DhAkael wrote:[Inertial damping and non-magnetic floating joint servos for a smoother ride, reactive multi-facing variable forcefields, and CG-assisted "hop" system for those ravines too dangerous to traverse.
Interior; your computer systems would be 10 or even a hundred times maller and faster / effcient, Med-bay with in-built auto-surgen and regn tank, type III materials recycling system (using nanite based recovery modules), nano-tech reconfigurable furniture, fully enclosed holographic 'virtual' observation bay.

Forgot the seat massagers...

True... can't go on long "walkabouts" without magic fingers :mrgreen:

Leaves of the lotus rise

mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Wooly wrote:
mobuttu wrote:
Panomas wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:

I don't remember reading that the Behemoth Explorer was designed for Mars exploration. But wouldn't condensors be a poor choice if it was? Not much water vapor in the Martian atmosphere.

On Mars, the air is saturated (100% humidity) at night, but undersaturated during the day. This is because of the huge temperature difference between day and night.
-Nasa source.

Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

If we're going 3G style, why even have legs? I'd simply hook up a counter-gravity system and float the sucker along. Reconfigure a couple of robots to sample gathering and scientific research modules and you can just park the big thing mid air, hop on down in protection to do your research, and then fly back up to it when done!

With all of the aforementioned goodies as well of course! :D
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Dr Megaverse wrote:If we're going 3G style, why even have legs? I'd simply hook up a counter-gravity system and float the sucker along. Reconfigure a couple of PAs to sample gathering and scientific research modules and you can just park the big thing mid air, hop on down in protection to do your research, and then fly back up to it when done!

Legs let you park it for repairs, particularly of any anti-gravity systems.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Nightmask wrote:
Dr Megaverse wrote:If we're going 3G style, why even have legs? I'd simply hook up a counter-gravity system and float the sucker along. Reconfigure a couple of PAs to sample gathering and scientific research modules and you can just park the big thing mid air, hop on down in protection to do your research, and then fly back up to it when done!

Legs let you park it for repairs, particularly of any anti-gravity systems.

I suppose in my mind "legs" and "landing gear" can be referred to separately lol. Of course anything which flies needs landing gear, however that doesn't mean said landing gear can't ya know, fold up :wink:
Icefalcon
Champion

Why not just have the counter-gravity thrusters in the legs. That way, the machine is usable in a multitude of environments.

Return to “Rifts®”