Tools of the trade

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Unread post by Roscoe Del'Tane »

Just some ideas that have been kicking around in my head for a while, thought you guys might like to see them. I haven't quite worked out all of the kinks on the last one, so any comments of suggestions would be appreciated.

Nano Dentist Kit: Some people just don't have the time to go to the dentist, not to mention the money. This is meant to be used as a temporary substitute , not a full scale, long term replacement. Essentially, one buys one from a pharmacy, takes it home, and places the unit in their mouth (looks rather like a mouthguard) and let it work.

It takes roughly 10-15 minutes for the unit to complete its sweep, which includes flossing, brushing, whitening, scanning for cavities/flaws, etc. The only things it cannot do is in-depth surgery, tooth re-alignment, and medication. It is designed to be used once or twice a week, and for not more than six months, otherwise it has the unfortunate effect of actually degrading the teeth it cleans due to the strength of its cleaners/scrubbers.

If you want your teeth in a new position, or those pesky cavities fixed, you need to go see your dentist. Costs roughly 500 credits for one unit, comes with a travelling case and a charging unit (with two modes, one for use with E-clips, and one for wall plug-ins).

Gun-Cam: A new item produced by the Hartigal Combine, this has so far proven to be a runa-way smash hit with warriors and sneaks. It is, essentially, a camera mounted on the end of a gun (Duh! Look at the name!), that sends a signal back to the users helmet/internal HUD. The camera is small, roughly the width of a highlighter, and half the length, but it only has ONE view mode. If you want infrared, normal vision, and nightsight, you need to buy three.

Each camera weighs only a few ounces, has a range of 100 feet, and costs roughly 3,000 credits a pop. Though they are mounted on weapons, they themselves are rather fragile, so any rough-and-tumble fighting is liable to break or damage it. Still, for the cost, its one heck of an investment, after all, being able to see around corners has saved lots of lives.

Distributed Power System (energy weapons only): Another Hartigal Combine exclusive item, and in high demand as well. This item is a series of tiny power relays that are inserted into a suit of armor, (or alternatively into a pair of gauntlets, shoulderpads, and backplate) for the express purpose of extra ammo storage.

The back of the armor has a flat, high-powered liquid battery that runs energy up the arms, down to the hands, and into the weapon. The palms of the gloves, and handle/stock of the weapon are all altered to give unrestricted energy flow, essentially transfering it straight from the powerpack to the weapon. The pack has the equivilant of three long E-Clips stored inside it, allowing for a much longer sustained fire rate, than with other storage systems. There is a small problem with the energy pack, in that every time that it is recharged (can use any of the normal systems) beyond 15 there is a cumulative 5% chance of the whole shebang detonating once it is charged up.

The System will add 10 pounds to the armor its built into (or a flat 20 pounds for the partial suit), and costs 5,000 credits regardless of the version, +another 5,000 for installation (if your going the suit route). It will add 10 M.D.C. to the armor on each of the areas descibed, or a flat 15 M.D.C. for the partial suit. If the armor is breached/destroyed in the areas of energy transference, the system is condered worthless and unusable. As a last ditch effort, the charcter can use the energized palms of his gloves to attack and deal M.D.C with his hands, one point per charge used.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Jack! You've debauched my sloth!" - Steven Matrin

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Had an ambush of an ideas just after posting that last bunch, so here we go again.

Cryo-Stixs: Ever been on a picnic and find that somebody forgot to pack enough ice? Well worry no more! Just buy Cryo-Stixs from Stick-Co *for all your stick need!), and hot beverages will be a thing of the past! Just insert one Cryo-Stixs into whatever beverage you want chilled, pull the activation tab, and watch this revolutionary product work its magic (not actual magic, just good tech) on your drink!

Alright enough of that. Put the stick in your drink, pull the tab, and it will chill up to a liter of water to just above freezing within ten seconds. The stick itself will collapse into a hollow tube that is bio-degradable, can be thrown away after use. Cost: 100 credits for a pack of 25.

Arm mounted Slingshot: Designed for Power Armor or cyborgs, it is essentially a wrist-rocket built into the fore-arm, this tool is mainly used for hunting food and harrassing those around you. For very small game (like a rabbit or cat sized varmint) this is perfect, as you don't waste a shot on what would amount to a meal for ONE person. The elastic (actually the whole thing) is made out of Mega-Damage materials, so it will be able to be used for generations without undue wear and tear. Has a firing range of 250 feet with a robotic strength class, only 100 with mortal strength, SNPS will rupture the materials. Costs 250 credits, including installation.

Water-Fouling tablets: Just the opposite of water purifacation tablets, these make the water all but undrinkable (only the most taste seprived individual will drink this stuff) by making it tase like skunks smell like. One pill (actually the size of a baseball) will be enough to contaminate 500 gallons within ten minutes. After a week to ten days (6+1d4), the taste will begin to fade, and 4 days fter that, it will be completely gone. The water will retain the same color, odor, and all other manner of appearance, only its taste will change. Cost: 250 credits apiece, often sold in bulk to dessert planets.

Invisible Decals(Idea shamelessly stolen from Who Framed Roger Rabbit?: Great for the City-Rat amongst you, or just those who enjoy a good prank. Esentially, it is a sticker (can be custome made or bought from 200 pre-existing designs) that once peeled and placed, will be rendered totally invisible for 10-15 hours before becoming visible again. Once placed, they take on the exact color and texture of the substance they are placed on (essentially prowling at 98%). Each sticker costs from 5-100 credits, carries with the size, complexity, and color pattern of the decal.

Want to produce some anti-CS slogan stickers? Buy the software and mini-fabber! Each pack contains enough raw material to produce up to 200 small decals, 100 medium, or 50 large ones. The software costs 1,000 credits, the material pack costs 500 more, and rare/odd dyes/coloring agent will be extra (no metallic or neons come with the set, only the primary colors and their offspring). Once placed on its target, the Mega Damage material will be stuck on there but GOOD, and the 'glue' is actually a rather powerfull epoxy/molecular binder, so it can't be simply peeled off. The solvent costs 1,000 credits for one tube, with enough to take off 50 small decals, or 25 medium, or 12.5 large.
You'd be suprised at what the G.M. will allow with a little blackmail and bribery...

"Artillery is the King of the Battlefield, Infantry is the Queen; and everybody knows what the King does to the Queen."- Stuart, from StarDestroyer.net
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Those are some cool ideas! I like how you put the pills to wreck watering holes.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I could really use that dental kit :D

Maybe up it a bit and go with dental-nano?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Yeah, that is very useful too! I could use it too!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Ditto, that's why I posted it! Been far too long between visits, and me teeth do be a tad on the grungy side of things...

Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Force Bridge: Need to ransack a town with a moat? Or maybe rescue somebody on the other side of a ravine? Then this is the item for YOU! Basically, its a forcefield generator that makes a bridge up to 20 feet long and five feet wide. The field will last only ten mintes at a time, and takes two hours to re-charge (runs on a micro0nuke powercell good for two decades). The field can support up to two tons of weight at a time safely, can extend that half again (three and a half) but runs a 10% chance of failure every five seconds (the whole thigns shorts out, and the occupants go bye-bye). Cost: 80,000 credits. Multiple units cannot be used in conjunction with each other, each end of the bridge must be on firm ground (so no using this at the beach, either!).

Hover-Sledge: Essentially, a wheel-less wagon for the adventurer with a 'cycle or horse. Instead of anti-gravity it uses a hover-system capable of lifting up to 3,000 pounds to a maximum height of five feet off of the ground. Comes with a battery capable of producing two-weeks of continues thrust (can be swapped out in five minutes), or can have a nuclear powersource. Standard leangth is ten feet long, and five feet wide, though special orders can be made. The cost for the basic unit, with two spare batteries is 25,000 credits (additional batteries cost 5,000 apiece and take only six hours to recharge), or 75,000 credits for the nuclear option. Comes with a free elastic,weather proof, M.D.C. tarp (only 2, but better than nothing) in the color of your choice as long as its black.

Holo-Vids: Essentially a tv/dvd player that proects its images onto a patch of blank space. Can project an image from 6x6 inches to theater sized. Can run off or E-Clips, or be plugged into any standard powersource. One E-Clip will be enough for roughly 200 hours of use, provided that it is a reasonable sized projection (30x35). Costs 5,000 credits for a unit with a basic 'package' with 25 movies onboard, additional 'packages' can be anywhere from 5 creds to 5,000 depending on the rarity, quality, and legality of the item. Can be rigged to work with laptops and other computerized devices if neccisary. Caries enough slots for an addtional 30-35 'packages' depending on their size.

Shrieker Bomb: Basically, a baseball sized hand grenade that blasts high pitched sound waves continuously; all those who hear it (and have human 'normal' hearing) and don't have ear-protection of somekind will be -3 to iniative, -3 to strike, and -3 to dodge for ten minutes after they leave the affected area. Lasts up to one hour (can be remote deactivated eary), then self destructs, will affect a 50 cubic foot area (really good speakers). Costs roughly 1,000 credits a pop.

Sleep Soundly: Basically, head-phones that will project white-noise into your ears while your trying to drift off, but will cut out if things rise above a predetermined 'safety' level (so if somebody fires a gun or someting, you can wake up quickly). Runs of kinetic momentum, walking with it on your body for an hour or two will be enough to power it for a full day. Cost is roughly 250 credits.

Personal Dentist: The same as my NDK, but supercharged for FULL dental coverage. The 'kit' is actually a chair (comes with M.D.C. restraints for 'problem' patients) with a proliferation of tiny waldoes and manipulator arms and dingi. the chracter sits down, states what they want, the chair scans their head, projects a 'before and after' image to confirm, then sedates the patient and begins work. Chips, cracks, cavities and such will all be fixed within half an hour (its an efficient little doo-dad), though radically changing the positioning of your teeth/jaw will most likely still require braces/external orthodontal eqiupment and repeat sessions. Cost comes in at a whopping 150,000 credits (but has Medical profession: Dental at 98%), and weighs in at 150 pounds. Replacement drugs and material will have to be bought separately; and a strict maintanance cycle must be followed, or sensor misalignment might result in your uvula growing teeth or your tongue being fitted for braces.

All I got for now.

taalismn
Priest

EMants---Genetically-engineered ant-like insectopids who seek out electromagnetic fields and collect around them while spraying bright-colored secretions...ideal for hunting down hdden surveillance gear. A hive of 1,000 costs 600 credits and can effectively cover a room up to 50 ft by 30 ft by 12 ft in dimensions...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Those are some cool gear! I like them!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Loctupus---a genetically engineered cyborg organism, believed to be of Splugorth origin...It's a natural puzzle solver with inherent EM sense...stick it up against a lock or passcode portal and watch its tentacles blur into action....Has a natural Pick Lock skill of 85%(70% for electronic locks), usually openning the lock within 1d8 melees...A switch on the attached handle allows you to promptly reward the victorious organism with a 'treat' of pleasure-center stimulation and a Pez-like food pellet...Needs to be fed every three days to keep happy/healthy...Tossing it phsyical puzzles like Rubik's Cubes and other combination puzzles also keeps it happily busy between jobs. Costs about 15,000-20,000 credits on the galactic black market, and is illegal to own in most places...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice piece of gear Taalismn! I like how you hooked it up to the Sploogies too!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Splugorth biowizardry gear's likely a hot commodity in the Three Galaxies, so it made sense...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

You are right. There are a heck of a lot of people who'd pay for that stuff.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Sick-bomb:
This nonlethal, crowd-control device is basically a small CG generator,
emitting graviton waves, which are not enough to hurt, even knock down
a tipical, human sized being, but good enough to cause disturbances in
the balance-centers, causing nausea and vertigo.

A well calibrated device (against a single-species mob) is quite effective
"soft hand" technique, as the source of the sickness is not readily appearent
as in the case of tear gas, for example.

It can also be used very subtly, several SWAT teams utilize these
to "soft" suspects before forced entry...

As a side note, Kreeghors are suprisingly vulnerable against this effect
(deducted from their general dislike of flying power armor - ie. their
centre of balance seems to be less tolerant).

Game effect: saving throw vs. non-lethal poison, for every melee of exposure (or every 5 minutes, in the case of "subtle" use). Kreeghors
(or similar species) get a -2 on this roll, and on a successfull weapon
systems roll the device can be calibrated against a single species,
for a further -2 (other races then gain a random result, roll d6, on
1: -2
2: -1
3-4: no modifier
5: +1
6: +2)
Nausea effect is -4 to initiative, -2 to Horror Factor rolls, -3 to dodge,
strike with ranged attacks, and roll with impact. On a save of natural
4 or below means DOUBLE penalty - most beings are too occupied by
their sorry state to put up resistance, unless cornered).
EBA generally does not protect, but most CG drive (and most
importantly: CG inertia dampener equipped) suit (powered or not)
might, provided that the system is sophisticated enough to compensate
automatically or manually, presuming the wearer is aware of the
source of sickness.
Getting sick in EBA is fun, unless it happens to you, in a Lurgess
colony.

Price greatly varies depending on the covered area.

The smallest model, weighing about 5 kgs, and can cover
about a 5 meter radius cost 25.000 credit, an E-clip can power
it for 30 cycles (30 melees in crowd control, two and half hours of
"Subtle" mode).

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
taalismn
Priest

Excellent...the extrapolation of Kreeghor weakness to equilibrium-loss is astute and thought-provoking! :ok:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a great one KLM! I hope these cool ideas keep on rolling!

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

taalismn wrote:Excellent...the extrapolation of Kreeghor weakness to equilibrium-loss is astute and thought-provoking! :ok:

I guess noone is suprised when Silhouettes are similarly handycapped
if exposed to flashbang grenades, Machine People to EMP, Wolfen to
tear gas, you name it...

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
taalismn
Priest

Viral Videos for Machine People?

*ACHHOOO!!!*"...agh....never mind me...*Wheeze!*...something I downloaded..." :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a great suggestion! I like the line of thought. And I agree with the general consensus.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Was jumped by another ambush of ideas, so here's some more. Enjoy!
Nutrient Tubes: Basically, all the nutrients for a full days march or exercise are in one of these little babies. Great idea, excellently thought out and researched, full execution on all counts, except for taste. They taste absolutely foul, like essence of raw sewage mixed with skunk juice. Costs 20 credits apiece, or 10 for 150 credits. Each tube is roughly the size of a soda can, and weighs about the same, only the tab pulls of the entire top, not just a mouth hole. It comes out as a thick, gooey paste, the same color and constancy of thick of unflavored oatmeal. While it has all the nutrients and such a body needs, it does not have the mass needed to prevent hunger on a long march.

Mega-Duffle: Essentially a normal duffle bag made out of Mega-Damage leather/plastic (each costs the same), and comes in a variety of sizes. The stitching, the straps, the zippers, all made out of M.D.C. material, to stand up to the rigors of hard travel, and massive abuse. In a pinch, it can even make a halfway decent canoe! Just empty it out, make a frame (with the provided collapsible M.D.C. metal rods), drop it on the water, and your on your way! It costs 2,500 credits, and will lasts several lifetimes if treated properly (has 5 M.D.C. and is waterproof, but will need frequent treatments to keep it so), may become a family heirloom for hundreds of families across Rifts Earth.

(Kind of an evil one here, feel free to ignore this one)
Psychological Warfare Apparatus: Another Naruni Enterprise special, although this one is only sold via third and fourth parties, and has none of the normal NE markings, due to the potential backlash for this vicious prototype device. It is essentially a semi-VR controlled device with a basic artificial intelligence, a speaker on an anti-gravity drive. The speaker is used to project a variety of sound files to disturb the targets rest and consciences. Sounds like a troop of soldiers filing past, a monster prowling around their camp, a little girl crying out for help in the night… anything that can be used to demoralize the targets will be used. Each device is roughly a foot long, six inches wide, and three thick, and can move at a speed of 20 miles an hour and weighs 15 pounds when not activated, has a reactor with a ten year lifespan. The user dons a pair of Virtual Rality goggles, and can control the PWA at a range of up to 20 miles. The devices cost a cool one million apiece, but can be worth every penny if used correctly (to undermine the psyche of others).

Scurry Bot: The sabotage equivilant to the PWA, this is used to make tiny alterations to the opponents’ camp (snipping tent lines, pouring laxatives in the cook-pot, etc.). It has a wide variety of appendages to accomplish this task, including a pair of vibro-claw clamps, a plasma torch, and waldo-hands. The Scurry Bot contains several storage areas, for sneaking things away, or dropping them off (planting evidence, Hint hint). It has the same range, size, and speed of its ‘evil brother’, same cost too.

Morning After Pill: Not what it sounds like, this pill is designed for those who have a liiiitle bit too much to drink the night before. The pills are specially designed for a variety of species (human, Noro, Wolfen, etc.), and serve to purify the bloodstream of any and all impurities contained therein. The problem is that the nanobots within the pill cannot differentiate between ‘bad’ impurities, and ‘good’ impurities (those that may be life saving medication, juicer drugs, or other nanites). Will completely detoxify a persons blood within ten minutes, though the experience is unarguably worse than the hangover (though it is over much more quickly). Costs 150 credits per pill, can be bought in batches of up to one-hundred. NOTE: Trying to use pills made for another race will do 1d4 damage to hit points every melee round for to up to ten minutes, take half damage if you save vs. lethal poison.

Porta-Beer: Essentially the polar opposite of the MAP, it’s a beer in a pill. Drop it in a canteen, seal the lid, wait ten minutes, and you can chug a cold, frosty brewsky! Perfect for the soldier on the go! Or more accurately, those who don’t want their superiors to know they’ve been drinking. Not only is it alcoholic, it also contains the daily requirement of vitamins for that race! A beer a day will keep the doctor away! Cost is 200 credits per pill, can be bought in bulk.

Monster Files: Basically a scanner that is connected to computer with in-depth files on common monstrous beings and races. There is 95% chance of having common beings listed in the database, with rare beings having a 60%. Those beings that are listed will have known weaknesses and strengths posted, as well as any special abilities. Each database is for ONE planet/Rifts Earth Continent, and basic, universal menaces; other databases can be downloaded for an extra cost, can have up to four extra databases at once, Cost is 30,000 credits, plus an extra 5,000 credits for other databases.

Insta-Tent: A foot square bundle, weighs five pounds. Drop on the ground, pull the string, and it automatically inflates and raises itself. Has a compressor powered by kinetics (movement) that is good for 50 years, provided it isn’t smashed. Has ONE M.D.C. point equivalent, 100 S.D.C. points, comes with a limited life-time warranty, only from the Hartigal Combine!

Sub-vocalizer Implant: A Cybernetic implant in the throat and inner ear (made out of organic plastics and ceramics) that allows near-undetected conversation with others with the implant. Instead of speaking, the microphone picks up on the vibrations, and transmits them to the receiver units on the appropriate frequency. They only have a range of 1,500 feet, but are all but impossible to detect, whether the devices or the transmissions, and are impossible to triangulate or decode the transmissions without the implant. Costs 15,000 credits for both implants (counts as one), can only be bought from the Hartigal Combine.

Automap: A scanning device that will make a crude map of where you have been, and the surrounding area. Be warned, it is a CRUDE map, and will only scan about 100 feet around you, so things can he missed/obscured, or be flat out WRONG. Use with caution. Comes with enough memory to do detailed scans on a 5 square mile area, can be overwritten within ease. Costs 3,500 credits, comes with a micro-power cell good for three weeks use, can be recharged off of a regular e-clip; character can buy the deluxe version with quadruple the amount of onboard memory, double the scanner range, and a power cell recharged by kinetics for 8,000 credits.

Aramanthus
Monk

Those are very gear that you've created! I hope we get some more!

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:
(Kind of an evil one here, feel free to ignore this one)
Psychological Warfare Apparatus:

Reminds me "The Padre" - ie. the leaflet-dispersing artillery
shell's nickname in the Hungarian Army. :D

But seriously, using this device and the sick-bomb simultenaously
will null the morale of most infantry.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

That is very true! I think that is the reason bio weapons were universally on earth made illegal by the major powers.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Meh, I was feeling like an evil S.O.B. when I wrote that one up, thought it was a good idea (still do), but I just don't think that most players would use it unless they were an evil party...

"I'm telling ya Sarge, mah little baby sister's out there! An' she's hurt! Yah gotta let me go ta her!"

But used against them, well, lets just say that the GM has an excellent tool for driving their players insane.

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Aramanthus wrote:That is very true! I think that is the reason bio weapons were universally on earth made illegal by the major powers.

Actually it is not the case. I mean, it is true, that weapons of mass
destruction (be they chemical, biological or nuclear) are outlawed.

However...

In Vietnam the US routinely used tear gas against Viet Cong/NV
air defense, defoliating agents (Agent Orange, for example),
and so on. I bet that someone using a nuclear device for
EMP effect in a "domestic dispute" (and not killing people or
causing massive fallout during that, etc.) would get away in the
UN with the act.

So, "weapons of mass incapaciotation" are generally allowed,
as long as the targets can regain their full health over time.

-------------------
And of course there is the "Spartan-effect" - some cultures
might be seriously offended is their troops are taken as POWs,
while killing them is OK.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

You are right KLM. Governments do what they want. They ignore many laws. Of course I just wish that the powers who worked on Bio weapons would have used the same energy to find cures!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

All this talk of violating regulations and treaties....

Bureacaulker---A mouthpiece with computerized internal translator, programmed with special random word asscoiation algorithems, set to translate any sort of straightforward speech into incomprehensible bureaucratic double-speak. This tends to confuse and stupify anybody listening for any appreciable amount of time(for every five minutes of uninterrupted speech, listeners must make a roll vs ME, cumulative ME, or fall into a befuddled stupor--- Lose initiative, -5% to all skills involving higher brain function, and -2 to strike, parry, dodge, and roll. Outlawed by the TVIA(though every good agent knows how to get ahold of one). Special earplugs prevent the user from hearing, and being knocked out, by their own rendered double-speak. Cost: 200,000 credits
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Another great one Taalismn! Please keep them coming!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Accubots----Most human societies of the CCW place little store in the science behind tthese gizmos, but those peoples of so-called 'Asian'-cultural analogues(as well as worlds of the Bushido Confederation) swear by these little wonders...Resembling an RMK Robot Medical Kit with ten button-sized robots, this AI-driven robo-accupuncturist kit allows owners to enjoy the basic services of an professional rating /skill percentage of 85%(having the kit tailored/programmed specifically to your personal physiology raises the level to 95%)....Just specify the problem and let the little 'bots run their preprogrammed pattern, climbing and crawling(they almost can't be felt, for those of you who are skittish about insects or spiders) to your chi-points, where they apply painless needle insertions using reusable sterile needles(the 'home' unit has a built-in UV sterilizer and fresh needle magazine)...When they're done(and their built-in bio-monitors show the patient is responding to their ministrations), the little 'bots return to their dispenser to recharge....
Many users of Accubots swear this ancient practice works better than modern drugs for relieving chronic aches and pains, with less chance of drug reactions, as sometimes happens with even the mildest over-the-counter analgesic...Critics claim it's all placebo effect....But the many claim that a session can work wonders in relieving stress.
A basic Accubot kit costs about 2,000-3,000 credits, and comes with a plug-in recharger compatible with most Galact-standard wallsockets...Personalized kits can cost 10-20% more, and deluxe units that can implant dissolving or self-combusting medicinal needles, and which can even carry out mild neuro-stim massage, are also available for more(25-200% more depending on the elaborateness of the programming and procedures)...
Commonly available in regions such as the Bushido Confederation, Xihon Dominion, Middle Heaven Reaches, and Great Court worlds...less common elsewhere.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is an excellent addition to this section! I can see many races using these little wonders!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Figured it was a cultural niche market...But, hey, if 'Star Trek' can replace peyote with a neuro-synapsizer for certain ritual practices, why not similar systems in 3G?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I think many of the races over on the Alien Races thread might use this little toy of yours!

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

taalismn wrote:
Critics claim it's all placebo effect....

Some call it placebo, because "Mind over matter" sounds too scary :D

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Fake-Flesh: This is itended for use with burn patients, it is synthetic flesh that is completely sterile, and will match the patients genetic paterns. It comes in a spray can, point and push the nozzle. The spray will harden into solid flesh within 5 minutes, and completely bond with the patients body within 5 more. Each spray can is roughly the size of a spray paint can, and contains enough skin for two square feet. Each can costs 500 credits.

taalismn
Priest

Psycho-Jammer---An attempt to create a sort of artificial area of effect group-mindblock...It's a old-style calculator-sized handheld device with a built-in psionically-active crystal(ideally psylite) that produces a 4-12(3d4) ft wide area of psionic 'noise' that makes it difficult, if not impossible, for psychics to use their abilities to 'see' or listen in....When attempting to locate or 'look' into a Psycho-Jammer-protected area, the psychic must roll against their ME, -1d6. ON a failed save, the psychic sees psionic 'static' and suffers a debilitating headache (-1d4 to initiative, dodge, strike, roll, and parry for 1d4 minutes). A successful roll means the psionic still experiences pain(but is only -1 to dodge, strike, parry, and roll) for the duration they are listening in(they recover immediately after dropping the psionic surveillance) but can otherwise listen in without any problems...
A genuine Psycho-Jammer costs 50,000 credits and up, and is normally available only to high-level government authorities and special agents. A single power cell can power the jammer for 2 hours. Operation beyond 2 hours is not recommended, without giving the crystal a 'cool-down' period of an hour to 'reset'. This means that in order to provide continuous coverage for longer periods, several jammers are needed to operate in sequence. The unreliable area of effect is also another factor in why the jammers aren't more commonly used.
Psycho-Jammers also appear on the galactic black market for prices as low as 5,000 credits...however, these 'psi-screens' are frauds, usually nothing more than new-age creations of pretty crystals(not even natural) or flashing lights, and sold as the genuine article. Some even emitt high-frequency ultrasonics...which may give beings with enhanced hearing trying to listen in on you a headache, but won't stop genuine psychics.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Excellent additions of this cool gear fotr Phase World! Please keep it coming!

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

I got hit by another ambush of ideas, enjoy folks.
Pop-Up Holographic Shooting gallery: An extension of the video player posted here earlier, it allows the user to make 'soft-light' targets (look and act like the real thing, but can't touch or move objects) that will attack him or move in random patterns. The unit is roughly the size as a CD (but is twice as thick as a case), and has a battery with 25 hours of use on it (can be recharged off of an E-Clip, but drains it completely). The unit comes with a sensor glove, allowing the character to use an empty gun (or full one) on the targets; the sensors will read the shots, and alter the targets accordingly. Costs 25,000 credits.

(this one is a bit munchkin, so be warned)
Limitless Rifle: This will onlt work on heavy-duty rifles and shotgun style energy weapons with the 'bull-pup' design (loads in the back/handle). The clip is completely removed, as well as the breach, and is replaced with a miniature nuclear fuel rod, good for five years before it needs to be replaced. Takes one week of tinkering to convert, and costs 150,000 credits, plus an additional 15,000 for the fuel rod (additonal rods are not factored in, and must be purchased separetly), it will add three pounds to the weight of the weapon. Changing the rods can only be done at high-tech facilities; otherwise when you crack the casing open to get at the rod, you will absorb a fatal dose of radiation, most likely right in the face. WARNING! More than five minutes of continueous fire will run the risk of overloading the coolent systems and heatsinks (5% per shot at the beggining of the 21st melee round, and its cumulative), you must wait for ten minutes to allow the systems to compensate [if its extremely cold (30 below zero or colder) triple the rate of fire, and quarter the cooldown time].

TAM3 Rifle: Stands for Thaelinite Army Mark Three, its essentially an updated version of a Wilks laser rifle, with a few modifications for extra vamp busting power being sold by a TA operative that was accidentally rifted to Rifts Earth (near Arzno); she has set up shop to help eliminate the most evil of beings that infest the lower areas of the USA and Mexico. It has a rear facing hatch, where the hammer would be on a solid projectile rifle. The hatch is for slugs of silver, roughly the size of a chapstick, which are atomized and suspended in the beam, allowing the user to damage undead and were-beasts. Damage by silver is equal to HALF of the enrgy damage, but only if the laser blst hits. Each slug is good for two E-Clips, after which a new one must beinserted. All other stats are the same as the Wilk's 447, but at at additional 5,000 credits, and 100 credits per slug, 450 credits for a box of 5, or 800 credits for a case of ten.

X-Ray Med scanner: Comes in many forms and styles, but is usually a thin tranparent sheet of tough but flexible plastic. When activated, it shows a realtime display of the innards of whatever it is scanning. Very useful for identifying broken bones and such, or seeing if the target has any concealed weaponry. Note that this is meant to be used on MORTAL beings, not 'Borgs and walls and stuff, but flesh and blood people. Cost varies, but for a two foot square sheet it is 20,000 credits, and comes with a recharger; if it's not hooked up to power-source/recharger it only has ten minutes of life in it, so only use it sparingly if your not in town.

Univeral E-Clip Interface: This is an alteration to existing weaponry or items, it allows the item in question to adapt to non-standard energy interfaces, so it can be powered by just about any type of powercell. Of course, really exotic or strange cells will be a problem (Bugproof powercells from Systems Failure for example), but any others should be ok. Rifle sized items cost 10,000 credits and two days of work, handguns cost 8,000 credits and a day of work, smaller are 5,000 credits and four hours of work, bazooka and bigger are 15,000 credits and three days of work minimum.

Cloned Disguises: A prototype Hartigal Combine item, it allows a person to clone a living mask from their flesh and blood, and alter it to make a spectacular disguise. The new face/skin can have difference markings/scars and such (you can cover the whole darn thing in scars and disfiguringmarks if you want), allowing for a massive amount of changes. Cost is 85,000 credits, comes with enough material for 20 face masks, 10,000 credits for additional materials. For an additional 10,000 credits at purchase, you can have it do tattoos as well.

Genetic tattos: A process that you can have done to you at Merc Town by a D-Bee trader. He takes a small sample of your blood, asks what design you want, and then injects you with a serum that will alter the pigmentation on the desired area of skin. He can do all the colors of the rainbow, and any design, none is too intricate or too small. Since it is genetic, if you get cut or burned on the affected area, the scar tissue will be colored the appropriate pigemnt. For an additional fee, the trader will make it so it can be passed on down the family line. Cost is a whopping ten times as much as it would cost elsewhere.

taalismn
Priest

Doppelfac---A briefcase-sized minifabber using nanotechnology and powered by an e-clip...By either scanning an item directly with the case sensors or with an attachable lighter-sized scanner probe, one can can the dimensions and appearance of items up to the size of an assualt rifle(roughly a yard long), feed the appearance info into the minifabber, and 1d6 minutes later, it produces a dummy copy out of nanoplas...Great for creating accessories for disguises, fakes meant to pass casual inspection, and throw-away 'toys'...Galactic-tech criminals with Doppelfacs are terrors on lower tech worlds without the technology to immediately spot the plastic fakes, but doppelfaced items like fake gemstones are easily sniffed out by security sensors on most CCW, TGE, and UWW worlds(where Stone Masters can instantly spot a fake gemstone even without high tech)....Thus, doppelfacs are most common in the hands of high-tech criminals who prey on less developed worlds. Doppelfacs are strictly blackmarket goods(costs 9,000+ credits) though slightly larger 'hobbyfabs' are available on the commercial market, beginning at 3,000 credits, that can be hotwired and modded to the same purpose.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:
TAM3 Rifle: Stands for Thaelinite Army Mark Three, its essentially an updated version of a Wilks laser rifle, with a few modifications for extra vamp busting power (...) The hatch is for slugs of silver, roughly the size of a chapstick, which are atomized and suspended in the beam

I seriously doubt that plasma, even from silver or water would
damage those critters.

However...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_prop ... r_Thruster

It looks like a laser CAN shoot solid (even silver tipped) slugs, with
a little tinkering (and maybe, but not neccessarily a small amount
of handvawium).

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Roscoe Del'Tane wrote:
(this one is a bit munchkin, so be warned)
Limitless Rifle: (...)

For my part I use the following method:
These small nuclear power sources have a rather limited
power output, at least compared to the needs of a MD
weapon - so the weapon has a payload of N shots (20 for example)
and a recharge rate as fast as a few (1-4) shots per melee
to as slow as one per hour.
The laser wrist blaster used by the Altaran blind warrior women
is a good example.

In most cases, a military weapon of this kind also has the
option to fire from normal e-clips too...

Adios
KLM

As usual: Just my two cents...
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

Excellent new gear! Thanks for sharing it! Please keep it coming!

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

KLM wrote:I seriously doubt that plasma, even from silver or water would
damage those critters.
Adios
KLM

Alright, maybe I didn't explain it correctly (my bad, me brains don't always work right). The silver is broken down into little pellets (think supersonic BB's) that are suspended in and carried by the laser, so its hitting at almost releltavistic (light) speeds, if nothing else its gonna do some damage just from the impact! Granted, I know almost nothing of science, real or fistional, but hey, in a game with vampires and werewolves, and giant cycloptic squid, I figure I can get away with a little BS scientific explanations...

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

No problem, odds that there are some (semi)scientific solution
for every idea - just see above.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

If you word it right, and make an interesting enough-sounding description(go heavy on the geekspeak and gobbledy-gook) ANYTHING can sound plausible...
This is is what makes modern investment banking work... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

It makes it fun to read. I know I enjoy them!

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Stim Sticks: This ingenious item is a modern day replacement for tabacco products, gives all the taste and sensation of the product but without the cancerous and debilitating side effects. Comes in a variety of colors and flavors. Cost is roughyl twice that of the average tabacco product, but is comepletely safe, no side effects other than possible addiction.

Comm-Link Cryptography: Not nearly as a home-brew by a professional, but better than broadcasting ALL your intentions on an open channel when on a mission. What this essentially is, is a degradable resin adapter that fits over the mouth-piece and the reciever. It comes in boxes of five, and each box is good for one hours usage before it degreades to unselessness, and the boxed adapters are linked together (box A won't work with box B and vice-versa). Cost is 1,000 credits per box, and counts as a mid-level encryption.

Chameleon Silk: A synthetic silk-like substance that will either a) change color depending on the wearers mood (psycho-sensitive) or b) body temperature. Cost is roughly three times for a basic piece of clothing of similar cut ($20 t-shirt would be $60).

Aramanthus
Monk

Excellent gear Roscoe! Please keep it coming!

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Onboard safety system:
As long as space travel exists, people are generally dislike to put
holes into starships hulls as long as they are on board. However,
the need of putting holes into other people well predates this need.

This safety system was invented by most spacefaring cultures,
but we only detail the CAF's version of it, being the most widespread.

First, it consists a computerised 3D image of the ship (or space station,
submarine, etc), several transmitters placed on the walls and corners.
Second, it consist a lighter sized positional and ranging unit, strapped
under the barrel of a gun, and tied into the firing circuits.

So, the gun "knows" where it is, where it is facing to, and with the
rangefinder, the system can decide that is there something between
the business end of the blaster and the walls.
Unfortunately, this does not prevent crewmates to kill each other,
as well as sometimes (in case of MD weaponry, frequently) blowing
away the target and the rest of the "gift" hitting the starship.

As a side note, projectile guns firing concentrated explosive
bullets (like Triax pump guns) and NE plasma cartridge guns,
are among the few weapons that do not shoot throught targets.
Usually.

Also, the CAF realised, that most onboard (and house to house)
combat does not warrant long range firepower - but heavy stopping
power and a manouverable weapons is definitely needed.

Game effect:
- 2 to initiative, as the system calculates trajectories
However, if a shot would be a miss, no ammo expended
(and no panels blown up). Also, if a target is hit by a quad
pulse and would be killed by only one to three blasts,
the remainding of the salvo is not fired.
As a downside, if damage still exceeds the target's treshold by
5 MD, the remaining damage hits whatever is behind the target.

HI-59B
A pulse laser carbine, designed for house-to-house and boarding
missions. Sturdy and stubby, but resembles the HI-80.

Weight: 3 kg loaded
MD: 3d6+3 per single shot, 2d6*10MD per 4-shot rapid pulse
RoF: standard
Effective range: 256m, but can fire up to 512m with a penalty of
-3 to strike
Payload: two E-clips, each holding power for 30 single shots
(15 quad bursts for the two). One of the E-clip ports can accept
the energy backpack's cable from the CAF heavy armor.

Bonuses: +1 to strike holding two-handed, +2 to strike within
50 meter, -2 to initiavite if the safety system is on., see above

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

Great gear KLM! Please keep it coming!

Spinner: It allows covert teams to ascend and descend in an urban environment. This device spins a monofilament thread which is capable of supporting a adult human male sized being and 150 kg of additional gear. The normal unencumbered range is 2000 meters. For each 10 kg of mater reduces it's overall range by 50 meters. For being larger than a human being use the formula for carrying gear and reduce the range appropriately. The maximum descending velocity is 2 meters per second. The maximum ascent velocity is 10 meters per second.
Cost: 5500 Credits
Last edited by Aramanthus on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

HH....FIE
Roscoe Del'Tane
Adventurer

Another Ambush of Ideas, so I had to post them before I lost the Ideas.

Sentry-S.T.I.M.S.: Nobody on Rifts earth is quite sure what S.T.I.M.S. stands for, but boy-howdey, do they WORK! Its basically a syringe the size of a highlighter filled with a revolting looking purple goop that is supposed to be injected into the jugular vein. It has a supperb anti-coagulent and other stuff in the needle to make a 100% clean and sterile patch of Sim-Skin on the injection site (though heavy and/or frequent use is strongly discouraged).
Once injected, the user is physically UNABLE to be rendered uncounscious for at least 72 hours (3d4 DAYS), automatically saves, and is +3 to initiative and strike (makes them highly aware and agreessive); users will not feel the efects of fatigue (though they will be there, so if you aren't careful, you can run yourself to death and not know it). This comes at a price, (and not the actual, monetary cost of the boost) as each use takes off one month from your total lifespan; the chemicals are rather harsh, and take a serious tole on the body. So far, it is incompatible with any species other than pure, unadulterated base line human (no psi, no magic, and definitely no Juicing!), breaking this rule usully means a messy, protracted death (1d6x10 damage direct to hitpoint per melee for 2d4 minutes), save vs lethal poison at -5. Cost is 2,000 credits per injection; and though it is fairly rare, it is highly addictive, often (95%) creating junkies and dependants within three uses.

Car-Pal: An invention blatenly ripped off from Naruni Enterprizes by a subsidary of one of A.R.C.H.I.E. 3's operation. It is a slightely different version of that remote control option on some of NE's hoverbikes. Essentially it is a dumb A.I. (roughly as smart as the average dog) that is implanted in the consol of a vehicle, and connected to a receiver. The owner is given a transmitter (can be a cyber/bionic implant for extra $$) so that they can summon/controll the vehicle as needed.
The vehicle can be given such commands as 'stay', 'follow', 'hide', 'go to POINT XYZ', etc, but combat cannot take place, as the A.I. is simply too stupid (and not connected to any weaponry other than the vehicle itself). Range is limited to a roughly 10 mile circle without satellite or repeater boosts. Cannot be installed in flight capable vehicles (interferes with propulsion, 90% chance of total system failure every 2d4 melee rounds), ground and low hover vehicles only, sorry. Cost is roughly 45,000 credits for the basic package, add an extra 5,000 for the implant, and 10,000 for the deluxe version of the remote. Deluxe has more than the standard 'circle with rings and sweeping arm' on it, comes with radout of engine statuts, fuel level (if applicable), general diagnostic data, as well as the option of looking through any sensors the vehicle has. Either way, the remote is roughly the size of one of those old fashioned Game-Boys, about six inches long, three and a half to four inches wide, and one and a half thick, comes in the single color of your choice with blue trim.

Packing Goo: much better than packing peanuts, crumpled up newspaper, or whatever else you use. Simply mix with water, let sit for five minutes, and pour into whatever vessel you are transporting. It will quickly 'harden' (as much as gell CAN harden), taking the shape of whatever it is in the container, protecting it from impacts as well as insulating it from any changes in temperature (damage, if any would be reduced to one tenth). Lasts for one month before it degrades into powder. One pouch of powder (the size of a Sweet-N-Low package) makes two quarts of gell (three square feet), costs 50 credits.

Insta-Slick: A golf-ball sized grenade that will create a thin and incredibly slippery, fould smelling oil that will dissolve into harmless compounds after two days. Blast radius is a thirty foot diameter, anybody moving faster than a speed of 5 has a 98% of slipping and falling on their backside. Cost is 200 credits per bomb.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”