A demigod's other half...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

A demigod's other half...

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Can a demigod be combined with an RCC, such as a Jungle Elf (WB6: SA) or an Achilles Neo-Human (WB9: SA2)? They both have to mate to breed, so one of the parents could be a god.
If so, how would you combine them?
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: A demigod's other half...

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Gods typically can mate with any mundane Race.

Who the abilities of the mundane race are exposed in each individual Demigod is up to the GM of the game the char is to be played in.

If there is no GM and it is being a Pre-Made char you are making up then the Demigod stats take president over the abilities of the mundane parent.

However, the DG abilities can be 'selected' to be like the mundane parent.

Note that every modification to char from canon should be noted on the char sheet so you can inform the GM what you did, and why. With experienced GMs, the more you letting them know 'Up Front' what modifications you made, the more likely they are going to Okay the char.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

A Demigod can choose an OCC, I would have no problems with one of my players choosing an RCC or PCC instead, but would watch out for the double-dip or conditions that make the character unplayably OP.

For races that don't have an OCC, ie, elves, dwarves, and similar, just add the natural abilities and weaknesses. If the race has a higher dice roll for an attribute, use best dice. as an example, a troll (ps 4d6+10) Demigod (PS 4D6+4) would roll 4D6+10, while a Changeling (PE 2D6) Demigod (PE 4D6) would roll PE 4D6 (and would still be allergic to salt).

As far as neo-human RCC demigods, or Flooper RCC Demigods, or Dirari ecto-men RCC demigods, go for it.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

A Demigod isn't a Half God, Half Human. It is a Demigod. There are no half-breeds in Rifts. The same applies to Amazons and Sea Titans and everything else capable of interspecies breeding. The more powerful parent's DNA overwhelms the weaker parent's DNA, making a child that is entire of that parent's race, taking nothing from the recessive parent.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The way the rules are written, I think a Demigod can be of any core race, but that the only thing that would change is apperance and statistically they would be identical regardless of species.

This doesn't make sense in a lot of cases, but I think it is the Techncially Accurate way to do it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

To expand on my last....

The DG would ba able to take the 'skills set' of the mundane parent, but that does not assure that the DG has that parent's racial powers.

since there is some language in the RCB2 DG text about the DG getting abilities from their deity parent outside the one GL power, (or maybe that text is talking about that DL power). If the player wanted the char to have the innate powers/abilities of the mundane parent, I would have them mod the DL power selection to be that of the mortal parent. And then I would give them a power related to their deific parent. As In Me (The GM) giving out the deific power, not letting the player munch out the deific power.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

HarleeKnight wrote:Can a demigod be combined with an RCC, such as a Jungle Elf (WB6: SA) or an Achilles Neo-Human (WB9: SA2)? They both have to mate to breed, so one of the parents could be a god.
If so, how would you combine them?

Although RAW is probably just to use the Demigod stats, that's boring and hard to believe, so I prefer the idea of treating Demigod like a template (assume human base, subtract 3D6 from everything) for applying to other species.

To avoid power creep, you could optionally only do that for attributes LOWER than human (ie to reflect the low 2D6 mental affinity that elves have, or the low 2D6 physical beauty orcs have) but treat the human-based demigod attributes as the upper cap you can't improve beyond (ie elf demigods aren't prettier than human demigods, but both are prettier than orc demigods)

Giant2005 wrote:A Demigod isn't a Half God, Half Human. It is a Demigod.
There are no half-breeds in Rifts.

They are literally half-gods, it's in the name.

CB29's "A Note on Biology" said this on pg 30:
    Supernatural beings and creatures of magic cannot produce offspring from a union with a human

This was thrown out the window in CB2 (gods are supernatural beings) and Dragons & Gods (pg 88 Profound Fertility) also talks about gods impregnating mortals, even though PF lacks a demigod RCC.

Even though it was still included on page 41 of the revised CB1, the lack of modification seems like an oversight unless they're trying to pretend what's in CB2/DAG never happened.

NPCs like White Raven from SDM who use the Demigod RCC will be upset in that case.

I think I could provide a theory on how all this is possible without contradiction.

I think the key here is that to reproduce with a mortal, either they or the god would temporarily need to "species-jump".

So a god would have to become temporarily mortal, or a mortal would have to become temporarily a god.

"they can not mate with other supernatural species and produce offspring"

We need something stronger than "metamorphosis: human" for sure (that's just appearance, not attributes) and even Alter Primal Manifestation (D+G90-91) doesn't go that far...

You know... come to think of it, you could probably just use "Create Minion" to make something pretty similar to a demigod and you wouldn't even need to have a mortal to mate with. But going the route of nookie avoids a Severe Body Investment.

Greater Metamorphosis: Demonic could be one solution. God changes self into demon, changes mortal into demon of same species, they have a demon baby together, and then the god changes them back. But then you've produced a demon, not a demigod...

D&G95 "Manifestation" allows you to create two half-power clones, and there doesn't seem to be anything preventing THEM from making two half-power clones apiece (at 1/4 power of original) so maybe if you did that enough times you'd end up with something so weak it's not even supernatural anymore and just human?

Also on 95 "Transmutation" might be the real solution though....
"Anything, living or not, can be transmuted into another substance!"

So use that to change a god into a human or a human into a god :)'

This requires a token body investment so it's not an attack you can throw around casually unless you are Belimar.

Living beings get a savings throw (I'm going to make a new thread to discuss that on PF board) and if you fail you can use transmutation on yourself to regain god form. Dispel Deific Power could be a cheaper option but it requires winning an unmodified d20vd20 contest with the other god, the god will know, and there's some 'active manipulation' clause which makes me uncertain which abilities this would actually help against. Might just be meant to stop Mobile Sphere of Destruction

Return to “Rifts®”