How to take out a Firestorm Mobile Fortress from the inside.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: How to take out a Firestorm Mobile Fortress from the ins

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

ShadowLogan wrote:From an Archie-3 perspective...

He could reprogram a skelebot (which canon text indicates he has done, turning into a spy for him) and use it to deliver malware to the FSMF, which could possibly be spread to other computerized units that are connected to the FSMF. And when the time is right, the malware springs into action in any number of ways that could be effective.

And if Archie-3 can do it, then it stands to reason other more advanced powers on the planet could also duplicate the feat (Triax, Japan, Kittani).

The Beast wrote:IIRC, they're not given full EPA due to their smell, and because they're not human. Hence why I targeted them first.

EPA? We don't have to get the Environmental Protection Agency to shut down the protection grid for this to work do we? -jk

But yes, depending on the method of infiltration Dog Boys may need to be taken out first.

Slight001 wrote:True though the blood test could be as simple as pricked finger. IIRC the info on the auto-g on mentions the existence of a blood based screening test it doesn't mention anything else so it immediately goes into the realm of the house rules and GM fiat as that is all any of it will ever be. That said given my knowledge of blood testing and the direction current R&D is going for with quick easy tests that can be performed 'in the field' I can easily see the CS having something as simple as a biometric reader that also samples your blood for routine checks of drugs, disease, and infiltration for any individuals returning from leave. Like I said though this is all GM fiat.

The text in DoNA is clear that the test is simple, but still takes a few minutes.

Still if an Auto-G can become the one administering the test, or even tamper with the test apparatus, they could give false readings and finger "real" humans.

The problem is even with such systems there may be shape shifters that can get by it. Or cyber ware implants to spoof it or what if the commander in question has replaced his hands do to line of duty injuries. Summing his doppelganger from the night lands could also get past it. Creating mandatory constant testing to look for just one type of foe is not practical. They may be scary but there numbers are quite low so it is unlikely worth the expense of constant testing. Not to mention you are constantly pricking the fingers of people and that is not very comfortable and will run risk of infections if done wrong.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Auto-Gs (and other shape shifters) can't duplicate implants, so noticeable implants would be one way to avoid being "replaced" easily. That doesn't mean they couldn't see to it you are indirectly replaced by someone more "duplicable".

I don't see the CS giving out constant stream of blood tests, as I suspect they would be more targeted to suspicion when dealing with live subjects (dead I can see it as standard procedure given the SoT Auto-G event mentioned in DoNA/MercOps) since it wouldn't be practical, you run the risk of infections (as you said), you could also foster a sense of mistrust that could be bad for morale and such even with the test results. The CS would have to monitor way to many people to make it viable as a routine daily (or worse) thing, and you need a way to verify it so the results can't be tampered with by some means.

It should be pointed out that their numbers are believed to be rather low, no one knows for sure.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

ShadowLogan wrote:Auto-Gs (and other shape shifters) can't duplicate implants, so noticeable implants would be one way to avoid being "replaced" easily. That doesn't mean they couldn't see to it you are indirectly replaced by someone more "duplicable".

Then how about the military having an implant similar to the psychic registration program that the CS runs? This implant is encrypted in such a way so it wouldn't be readable by civilian readers, and is located in a spot other than a limb in order to prevent someone removing said limb and gaining access to bases and/or sensitive areas. Perhaps the implant also needs to be powered by the human body as well.
Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Though an Auto-G could duplicate a commanders voice and DNA signature there are still good old fashioned safeties like Passwords (verbal and non verbal) which unless the commander in question divulges would limit the Auto-Gs ability to cause too much mayhem. That blood test probably gets pulled out pretty quick if the CO of the Firebase can't remember his verbal password.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Dr Megaverse wrote:Though an Auto-G could duplicate a commanders voice and DNA signature there are still good old fashioned safeties like Passwords (verbal and non verbal) which unless the commander in question divulges would limit the Auto-Gs ability to cause too much mayhem. That blood test probably gets pulled out pretty quick if the CO of the Firebase can't remember his verbal password.

That would only really come up if the Auto-G was doing a rush job for infiltration. The auto-G could be working with a team of unsavory charters to get such information. Spells and psi powers make getting such things easy to do quickly and with accuracy.

A ID implant may not be able to be read by non official readers but they can be detected as present and transplanted into a infiltration agent.

Catching infiltrators is probably the main job of the CS psi-battalion. They likely run regular sweeps for things out of place as part of a joint opps pre mission brief or after action review then assist with physical security during missions.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The Beast wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:Auto-Gs (and other shape shifters) can't duplicate implants, so noticeable implants would be one way to avoid being "replaced" easily. That doesn't mean they couldn't see to it you are indirectly replaced by someone more "duplicable".

Then how about the military having an implant similar to the psychic registration program that the CS runs? This implant is encrypted in such a way so it wouldn't be readable by civilian readers, and is located in a spot other than a limb in order to prevent someone removing said limb and gaining access to bases and/or sensitive areas. Perhaps the implant also needs to be powered by the human body as well.

Can it be done? Yes. The question though does turn into IS IT being done in the CS? There is nothing to indicate that it is being done, aside from psychic registration.

Return to “Rifts®”