Lightning arc for TW weapons

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

StormSeeker
D-Bee

Lightning arc for TW weapons

Unread post by StormSeeker »

I just registered for these boards, but I've been doing a lot of reading over the last couple weeks.

It seems to me lightning arc would make an excellent spell base for a tw gun, yet I haven't seen anyone use it.

At 30 ppe, it's a little pricey, but for the number of shots you get out of it, it's way more cost efficient than power bolt or sub-particle acceleration. At 5th level, it would do 4D6+10 MD every attack for 5 melees. If I were to get off just one shot per melee I'm still looking at about 120 MD on average. If I don't need to dodge or parry, I could do 5 times that amount.

And for building it into a TW weapon, it uses a relatively cheap gem. Other than the fairly short range, I'm not seeing any reason it's not a go-to combat choice...or did I completely miss something?
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Lightning arc for TW weapons

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

StormSeeker wrote:I just registered for these boards, but I've been doing a lot of reading over the last couple weeks.

It seems to me lightning arc would make an excellent spell base for a tw gun, yet I haven't seen anyone use it.

At 30 ppe, it's a little pricey, but for the number of shots you get out of it, it's way more cost efficient than power bolt or sub-particle acceleration. At 5th level, it would do 4D6+10 MD every attack for 5 melees. If I were to get off just one shot per melee I'm still looking at about 120 MD on average. If I don't need to dodge or parry, I could do 5 times that amount.

And for building it into a TW weapon, it uses a relatively cheap gem. Other than the fairly short range, I'm not seeing any reason it's not a go-to combat choice...or did I completely miss something?

I agree, Lightning Arc is a much overlooked and under utilized spell. I use it as one of my main combat spells along with invincible armor.

I can't think of any good reason not to use Lightning Arc in a TW weapon except that TW weapons cast/release a spell when fired. In my opinion a talisman or ring that cast the spell onto the wearer would be a better choice.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I made a TW Particle Sword (based on Sub-Particle Acceleration and Light Blade spells) for one of my games that used Lightning Arc as a power source. I seem to recall that it's a common spell when used in that capacity, though my memory could be faulty. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

StormSeeker wrote:I just registered for these boards, but I've been doing a lot of reading over the last couple weeks.

I took a look at Electric Arc a while back (weaker version of Lightning Arc, iirc):
viewtopic.php?p=890703#p890703
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Rifts®”