post apocalyptic music genres

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

post apocalyptic music genres

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

what kind of music do you all think would be popular in north America? Are there canon examples?

Personally I've always thought music would be old county type stuff in the rural regions and cities would have some kind of industrial rock.

Then naturally, there would be precataclysm cover bands.

Anyone got any good names for bands and songs that might be native to north America as well?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Re: post apocalyptic music genres

Unread post by The Ruiner »

In the first Rifts novel, there was a club/bar that the characters went to deep in the lower leves of Chi-Town. The band was playing some kind of heavy metal/punk "music", the kind of stuff where you can't even understand the lyrics if I recall correctly. They had a very phallic sounding name. Or was that the song? I dunno.
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

I figure punk would be popular in the burbs at least, yeah.

I think a punk band called "The Neemans" would be cool.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

Years ago I posted a few times about a "MC Cyber-Snatcha", a burbs cyber snatcher and rapper who had to flee the burbs and ended up in Juarez. I imagined him as having a flow like the rapper Thiristin Howl but rapping over digital hardcore/breakcore beats.
Alrik Vas
Knight

That's pretty funny. Creative too. Might steal it.

Bood Samel
Adventurer

Oh by all means please do. He was wanted by the CS initially because of being involved w/ radio free chi-town, a pirate radio station out of the burbs. Thats why he had to flee to Juarez. His music talked trash on the CS, the conditions in the burbs, etc and the station would play it.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

In one of my campaigns we had a Juicer who was a drummer in a thrash band called "Juicer Uprisings". I certainly think Juicers would listen to very, very fast music. So fast that only juicers could play it.

Apart from that I've always imagined a lot of electronic music in the Burbs and acoustic folk in the wilderness.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Alrik Vas
Knight

music only juicers could play. Hrm...ya know, i think those guys would have a hard time learning guitar, and a harder time deciding to juice up after having a career. Though not impossible. Some people will do ANYTHING to reach fame.

Blastaar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Home of the Xiticix...
Hudsons Wheigh is located near my actual home of Gillam and not Gitlam

Unread post by Blastaar »

for some reason I have an image of a juicer now playing a guitar as the strings seem to be breaking faster then the notes can be played.
so he gets a guy to design mdc guitar strings
Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun!
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Blastaar wrote:for some reason I have an image of a juicer now playing a guitar as the strings seem to be breaking faster then the notes can be played.
so he gets a guy to design mdc guitar strings

lol, probably good for garroting as well. On that note the drummer would definitely need MDC drum skins.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Bood Samel
Adventurer

I imagine savage groups/races in uncivilized areas making brute percussive music akin to the group crash worship-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq5RamhrN2s
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Cyborg vocalists would be in demand, especially if they could alter their voices on the fly, and could convincingly sing multi-gender roles.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Bood Samel
Adventurer

taalismn wrote:Cyborg vocalists would be in demand, especially if they could alter their voices on the fly, and could convincingly sing multi-gender roles.

Good call
taalismn
Priest

Cyborg vocalists would also lead to some jarring situations; imagine buying the cds/audio downloads of a group and getting addicted to the really sexy voice of the lead vocalist...Then you get to see them in person and discover that smooth as silk voice is coming from an eight-foot-tall walking tank.
Of course, musical purists will claim that cybernetic voiceboxes are as authentic as synthesizers, and the vocalists really aren't singing.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alrik Vas
Knight

I had the Neemans preform in the Cease Fire in merc town last game. I played a lot of bad religion that night as background music. Didn't hurt it was around the 20th anniversary of Stranger than Fiction.

Bood Samel
Adventurer

CS oi all the way. I've always figured the dead boys having a boots and braces skinhead style when not in armor or on their days after. With out going into the offensive end of oi, imagine Cocksparers "england belongs to me" redone as "The Coalition belongs to me"-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU8P0Ufwpl8

Also the old crust band Amebix already had a post-apocalyptic vibe and imagery. So they fit rifts, as does most albums by the group Neurosis.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Thanks for the suggestions

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I think that hardcore punk would be extremely prevalent in the CS in much the same vein as Aus-Rotten.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Bood Samel
Adventurer

Funny you mention aus-rotten, I was just telling someone about punching one of them at a show while I was wasted.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I can imagine that probably happens a lot.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

In the few decadent metropolises of the broken future, not everything between the shadows is hardcore.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy mentions a style of music called "Gunk". Apart from referring to it as a "loud clatter" it doesn't really go into detail, however I like to think of it as a cross between grunge and punk with some electronic sounds thrown in. I can imagine something like that would be popular in the Burbs'.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I think something like cyber metal, or "plug and play metal" might be a thing. Music played by your implants, while you just screw around on stage and do silly trucks or make political statements.

taalismn
Priest

Alrik Vas wrote:I think something like cyber metal, or "plug and play metal" might be a thing. Music played by your implants, while you just screw around on stage and do silly trucks or make political statements.

Lip-synching yourself?

A more subtle music form for cyborgs might involve linking onboard sound synthesizers to kinetic sensors in your body; the sound synth generates sounds according to the direction and speed of your movements(for instance, a fast downward kicking motion might generate a loud metallic clank or a percussive thump, a spin might result in a humming or whizzing sound, shaking in place might create a reverberating chord, depending how the artist has programmed the implants to interpret the motion).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
SolCannibal
Champion

As an aside the, the idea of cyborgs, partial or full, focused toward the entertainment industry instead of war is a novel curiosity to say the least.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Much like juicer rock, but as I said, some people will so anything for fame.

taalismn
Priest

SolCannibal wrote:As an aside the, the idea of cyborgs, partial or full, focused toward the entertainment industry instead of war is a novel curiosity to say the least.

Either way, are you going to tell an assault cyborg that he can't sing worth a damn?

If you are, you have the choice of becoming a member of the Darwin Awards Winners' Circle or the Dead Critics' Society.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

I don't think everyone would be in the punk/rap/industrial metal crowd. I think something like this might be popular as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XopsFtdaLw
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
SolCannibal
Champion

taalismn wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:As an aside the, the idea of cyborgs, partial or full, focused toward the entertainment industry instead of war is a novel curiosity to say the least.

Either way, are you going to tell an assault cyborg that he can't sing worth a damn?

If you are, you have the choice of becoming a member of the Darwin Awards Winners' Circle or the Dead Critics' Society.

Not what i meant at all, but no, i certainly won't. :mrgreen:

Maybe a little bit of something here and there with less need of eletric intruments and amps too.

edit: changed the link because the previous one was slightly NSFW link due to a moment or two of female breast & body painting. Ah, and apparently bo#b gets auto-censored. The more you know. :-P
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

Phaze wrote:I don't think everyone would be in the punk/rap/industrial metal crowd. I think something like this might be popular as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XopsFtdaLw

Phaze;

Damn, it's a blast to know I'm not the only Nightwish fan here! ^_^ I don't generally listen to NW in more dulcet moments, but Sleeping Sun is definitely a favourite of mine. Within Temptation ('The Heart Of Everything' or 'The Silent Force' are a pair of albums they've done I've stuck to) is definitely fantasy rock-metal; not the least reason why being that the band's members are huge science-fiction/fantasy fans, at least judging by more than one album's liner notes. 'See Who I Am' (from 'The Silent Force') http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xHto4vAJ8o is one of my biggest playgears, as well as 'Stand My Ground' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PIPfmHOJhg which is their 'radio play' track, but no less listenable! ^_^

This song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yILTEayQmj0 'Scarlatti 2.0', by Igorr, from his album 'Hallelujah'- 'high-energy-thrash-baroque', which more than any recent additions to my library suggest the post-apocalyptic reborn world of Rifts (to me, anyway) as strongly. Even found a used copy of Hallelujah in decent shape locally, and it also finds its way into my CD changer's innards regularly, too. I don't know how well known Igorr is here in North America; the YT link I've posted was one a chummer sent me many months ago and got me hooked.

Anyroad, that's my two Silvers. Cheers!

-Boe.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Some great suggestions, guys.

Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

Boethermsbrukan wrote:Phaze;

Damn, it's a blast to know I'm not the only Nightwish fan here!

Its funny how I first found them... I downloaded a Mod DLC to Skyrim of a player home, and in the home there was a ghost (female that looked like the lead singer of Nightwish) that once activated would start playing Solar Sun. I freaked. Found out who it was through the creator of the Mod and did a Google. WOW. Love them. They are a bit dated of the guitar rifts, reminds me of the 80s hair bands, but hey I grew up in that era and love to hear the classic rock mixed with fantasy and almost an alternative beat.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

Phaze wrote:Its funny how I first found them... I downloaded a Mod DLC to Skyrim of a player home, and in the home there was a ghost (female that looked like the lead singer of Nightwish) that once activated would start playing Solar Sun. I freaked. Found out who it was through the creator of the Mod and did a Google. WOW. Love them. They are a bit dated of the guitar rifts, reminds me of the 80s hair bands, but hey I grew up in that era and love to hear the classic rock mixed with fantasy and almost an alternative beat.

Phaze, good evening!

Damn, that's one kick-butt Easter Egg; I've got Skyrim installed but haven't started playing it yet: would you be able to tell me the name of the Mod you downloaded? I'd love to see a Tarja ghost! o_o

(BTW, it's Sleeping Sun, but what's important is the music, of course! ^_^)

I think the first Nightwish 'contact' I had was out of a batch of odds and ends I picked up after a yard sale several years ago; probably not long after I graduated from college...2001, 2002 or so. Amongst them were a dozen or so burned CD-Rs (audio CDs, I mean) and one of them was a moderately good burn (in terms of errors) of Nightwish's 'Wishmaster'. I think that spinner occupied half of my daily music listening for months; it didn't occur to me at the time to go looking for the band (Nightwish); I'd never heard symphonic/dark metal or anything like NW before that, and at the time I assumed they were an obscure hair metal band (partly because the label of the spinner the songs were burned to was in really rough shape; I thought the age was showing) but I couldn't get enough of what I did have.

There were a couple of big read/burn errors- huge wave CRC during the beginning monologue of 'Dead Boy's Poem' (ooh, Rifts reference? ^_^) and the tail end of 'Sleepwalker' was chopped off, although I ended up finding the same album version in a brand new retail copy because only one domestic version of Wishmaster included that as a bonus track. That one also spent lots of time in the CD player!

It's great to meet a fellow Nightwish and, similarly, a fellow Rifts fan, once again!

-Boe.
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

I see a big revival for Sisters of Mercy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-RVJyNpfDk
Alrik Vas
Knight

That is okay in my book.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Another interesting question is: we have all kinds of DB's all over, and some areas with large populations. Do you think any alien genre's of music would become popular, at least in certain regions?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SolCannibal
Champion

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Another interesting question is: we have all kinds of DB's all over, and some areas with large populations. Do you think any alien genre's of music would become popular, at least in certain regions?

Possible certainly, specially for artists of species with an auditory range is reasonably similar to a human's, though i can imagine some Coalition diehards grumbling and trying to censor such "dangerous products of corrupt alien clutures", while avoiding the issue that what makes them "dangerous" or "subversive" is the fact they might be not so different from human works after all. Not to mention those aliens writing in local languages because, well, what sense would there be in trying to write in a mostly forgotten idiom of one's ancestors when grown and born hearing american, french or spanish at home from infancy?

The time between the Coming of the Rifts and current events is, afaik, almost as much as between the foundation of the british colonies & the present - that's a lot of time for assimilation and mixing up of cultural & linguistic elements from both sides.

Return to “Rifts®”