Here comes a horde!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Here comes a horde!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

No it does not.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Nightfactory wrote:
computertrucker wrote:So for the last year and a half I have been running deathwatch. One of the things I really love about their system is the horde combat. Where a few players can stand against and even destroy an onslaught of enemies. It created some very heroic moments in gameplay. So curious. Does rifts have any rules like this? If so what book would I need to look at.

While Rifts doesn't specifically have the same system, the same thing is certainly possible (and, indeed, has been done) by many players in many games. In one of our games, using a combination of magic, psionics, and tech, four players repelled a charge by 40 gurgoyles.

NICE!!!
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

computertrucker wrote:So for the last year and a half I have been running deathwatch. One of the things I really love about their system is the horde combat. Where a few players can stand against and even destroy an onslaught of enemies. It created some very heroic moments in gameplay. So curious. Does rifts have any rules like this? If so what book would I need to look at.

Thanks.

Although there are no official rules on running massive groups in the Palladium combat system, I have some house rules I have been using that have worked out well. I don't want to post them here because I'm also using them in a Dead Reign manuscript I'm working on and I'm not sure they'd want me to put them up on the internet forever.
But if you like, PM me and I will send them to you.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:

Thanks.

Although there are no official rules on running massive groups in the Palladium combat system, I have some house rules I have been using that have worked out well. I don't want to post them here because I'm also using them in a Dead Reign manuscript I'm working on and I'm not sure they'd want me to put them up on the internet forever.

Ohh I want to see them too! PM sent. ;-)
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

computertrucker wrote:
Nightfactory wrote:

While Rifts doesn't specifically have the same system, the same thing is certainly possible (and, indeed, has been done) by many players in many games. In one of our games, using a combination of magic, psionics, and tech, four players repelled a charge by 40 gurgoyles.

Interesting..How long did that take to play out? In deathwatch I've had 2 marines and an imperial arbitrator wade thru about 30 termigaunts in just a few rounds with their hordes system.

Thats the rub. In rifts you can take out 40 gurgoyles but you are looking at a huge consumption of real life time.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

computertrucker wrote:
Nightfactory wrote:

Interesting..How long did that take to play out? In deathwatch I've had 2 marines and an imperial arbitrator wade thru about 30 termigaunts in just a few rounds with their hordes system.

Well I was using a streamlined version of the combat rules so the whole thing was over in just a few rolls.
But depending on how many PCs you have and how many enemies they are facing, it shouldn't take any longer than a regular combat session.
The best part is you can assign 100+ zombies (or termi-guys or robots or gargoyles or whatever) to each PC, and then show them what that looks like when the numbers are added up. And then the smart PCs run away, and then you don't have to run combat at all! :lol:
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I believe there's a Rifter article that deals with mass-combat, but it's for PFRPG, not modern combat.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I sat and rolled ny super vs 100 then rolled out him taking on a full army of 10,000. Roll until you die. Took like thirty hours for the army to finally kill him.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:

Thanks.

Dead reign would be a great place for horde combat rules cause if you are not quick with your zombie slaying hordes are exactly what you get to deal with.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I kinda like the individual combat rolls for each attacker.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Battles like that rock!!
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Nightfactory wrote:
Thinyser wrote:Thats the rub. In rifts you can take out 40 gurgoyles but you are looking at a huge consumption of real life time.

About three hours of real time, but it was worth it! :D
Was that with regular palladium combat rules or some modifications to speed things along?

Curious because I've had battles of 6 PC's against 20-30 mobs that took 4-6 hours depending on how the battle progressed what tactics were used and countered etc.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

If you could funnel them 300 style to limit the number of attackers. I relied heavily on my Electric Flight power. Being able to cover a mile in two attacks is very very helpful. Combined with the electric field absorbing all damage. So Aps Electricity and Slow motion control helped BUT the laws of averages won in the ebd and I did eventually get crit'd to death.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I posted the abridged version in March of The Thunderwolves. In the heroes unlimited forum.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Nightfactory wrote:
Thinyser wrote:Was that with regular palladium combat rules or some modifications to speed things along?

Curious because I've had battles of 6 PC's against 20-30 mobs that took 4-6 hours depending on how the battle progressed what tactics were used and countered etc.

No, just regular rules. But the PCs were very clever in their use of combat tactics. They had some advance warning that the gurgoyes were coming so they set up a ambush inside a abandoned missile silo they'd been using as a base. About 12 were killed outright by hidden bombs right at the beginning. A PC Mind Melter mentally possessed one of their leaders and led six of them to a pit trap where they ended up falling down a deep shaft, then got a River of Lava dumped on their heads. The party also used 'divide and conquer' tactics to split up the remaining group and took them out with a mix of spells, rail guns, and particle beam weapons. There was very little close combat. I ran the gurgoyles intelligently, too; it wasn't a give-away. I will admit that it did help that I rolled relatively low MDC for the gurgoyles: most had 100-300 MDC tops. All in all, it took about three hours. But I tend to run combat fairly fast and also the party was commited to their cause and used to working together.

In my experience, when combat is slow and ponderous, it's because: A) The players are not very familar with their own capabilities and keep having to look things up, and B) Don't work well as a team (ie. everyone is out for themselves and end up hindering each other). In contrast, a prepared well-oiled team, so to speak, can meet a superior enemy force with confidence and have a good chance of suceeding against them.

I agree completely that players that know their characters backwards and forwards and can work well as a group have a distinct advantage in combat, not only to survive as well as win more quickly.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

My idea of "teamwork" is you guys just try not to shoot me while I go beat the crap outa whatever.
Hack a computer? Fix stuff? Medical skills? Intelligence?? What are these things in which you speak of? Lol. But hey I'm like +8 to strike, who needs ti read a sign. Lol. #combatmonster
Makes for fun roleplaying, at least for me. I like characters that can punch through a tank but can't spell it.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Bwahahaha
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Margin of success can still work in Rifts. A hit with range is 8 or better, melee is 5 or better. For every 2 you beat the hit by, it's an extra margin of success. You subtract degrees based on what the enemy rolls to defend. Then you deal magnitude damage. The issue is figuring out how much magnitude things have, what spells deal how much damage to hordes and all that.

I think it's doable though.

On the other hand, i also like rolling it all out. 6 hours of combat can be fun as long as things don't drag.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Now I have never played in a spaceship game.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

I have recently though a minion/mock rule I call the Stormtrooper rule for my next CW campaign:

1) Give to the minion an AR depending on the type of armor worn. For instance, CS Soldiers would be AR15.

2) Should the hit beats that AR, the damage goes directly to the NPC's HP.

3) Should the hit rolls is below AR it impacts the armor and "only" does 10% of the rolled damage for every AR increment to the NPC and full damage to the armor. Treat damage rolled that pass through armor as SDC damage.

Exempli gratia:

My Rogue Scholar shoots a CS Grunt (14 HP / 29 SDC / Standard CA-4 "Dead Boy" Armor (100 M.D.C. AR15). The shoot rolls totals 17, so it beats the CS Soldier AR and does full damage (3D6 = 11) with his laser rifle to the CS Grunt HP, with only (14-11) 3 HP left. Poor CS Grunt won't probably resist another direct shoot.

Now, my Rogue Scholar shoots again but unfortunately rolls poorly and doesn't beat the CS Grunt AR. His damage roll (3D6) is 16. So, the CS Grunt receives 1 SDC damage (14 HP / 28 SDC left) and his armor is also damaged (100-16) with 84 MDC left.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I dont nerf it. If its you vs a hundred soldiers. The soldiers are trying to kill you.
And @Nightfactory I understand the z.y.x axis of aerial combat (ran a milling machine) but it would indeed be cool to be part of a spacecraft game.

Return to “Rifts®”