A Munchkin/Rule Nazi Contest!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

A Munchkin/Rule Nazi Contest!

Unread post by Hotrod »

Summon your inner nerd! It's time to put your knowledge of the megaverse to the test!

Conditions:
- Using only canon material (no Rifters, homespun stuff, or house rules)
- No unrealistically-high rolls
- The character's experience level cannot exceed the normal limit of 15.
+ All playable races are allowed
+ Any and all equipment and blessings/buffs that a character could plausibly acquire allowed
+ Published Inconsistencies and undefined areas may be interpreted as you see fit.

Challenge: Create a set of circumstances in which a character gets a 100% chance of surviving the ritual of Yggdrasil. In other words, the character must have a physical endurance+his/her level greater or equal to 100.

Please reference your creation with the books used and the bonus or special power conferred.

Bonus Challenges:
+ Make the character come through with no risk of insanity.
+ Make the character acquire everything he/she needs for this from one dimension only.
+ Make the character acquire everything he/she needs for this from a single region or country of that dimension
+ Make the character able to do the ritual without help from anyone else.
+ Make the character level 1.
+ Make the character an SDC mortal
+ Make the character human.
Last edited by Hotrod on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: A Munchkin/Rule Nazi Contest!

Unread post by Nightmask »

This isn't achievable, as one can't have a 100% chance of success at anything, the best you can have in canon is a 98% of success.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

level 1 Alien experiment
Invulneriblility
Healing Factor
Extraordinary Physical Endurance
Mineral Being
Abrasive Atmoshere homeWorld

Basically a alien Stoneman incredibly high PE and sdc.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Nightmask wrote:This isn't achievable, as one can't have a 100% chance of success at anything, the best you can have in canon is a 98% of success.

This is true of skills, but this is not a skill roll. In the absence of clear guidance for this circumstance, I'll err on the side of strict interpretation (that it is possible), because otherwise, the challenge itself is impossible.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Mulka , I win, rifts manhunter was canon, so I win
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

say652 wrote:level 1 Alien experiment
Invulneriblility
Healing Factor
Extraordinary Physical Endurance
Mineral Being
Abrasive Atmoshere homeWorld

Basically a alien Stoneman incredibly high PE and sdc.

Alien Humanoid: Mineral: SDC 180, AR 14 (Does nothing to help you survive the procedure)
Abrasive Atmosphere: Lots more SDC, natural AR of 12. (Does nothing to help you survive the procedure)
Extraordinary PE: +2D6 PE
Healing Factor: +2D4 PE

You have a creature with 4-20 extra PE. Assuming you start with a standard 3D6 (under Heroes Unlimited) rules, the most you could possibly get, even with unrealistic dice rolls, is 50. Bottom line, you've made an impressive walking tank that will probably die from the procedure.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:Mulka , I win, rifts manhunter was canon, so I win

I'm afraid I don't remember much about Mulka, and I don't have that book anymore. Care to explain?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The highest possible PE is 50, for anything 50 is the max attribute. you also forgot the +40% save vs coma/death.
Nightmask
Palladin

say652 wrote:The highest possible PE is 50, for anything 50 is the max attribute. you also forgot the +40% save vs coma/death.

There isn't a Max limit on Endurance, it's PP that has a Max of 50, and he didn't you don't get that bonus when computing the save for the Yggdrasil. The save for the tree is much more restricted and limited due to its grueling nature, both physical and metaphysical.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

PP is 45 at least in the origanal conversion book page 24 i think. and 50 IS the max PE just like for non enhanced humans 60 is the highest possible PS. Besides Nighty why are we even talking? Comment on the OP. YO!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Hotrod wrote:

I'm afraid I don't remember much about Mulka, and I don't have that book anymore. Care to explain?

Lets just one mulka against the entire mechinoid race , the mulka wins everytime
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Nightmask
Palladin

say652 wrote:PP is 45 at least in the origanal conversion book page 24 i think. and 50 IS the max PE just like for non enhanced humans 60 is the highest possible PS. Besides Nighty why are we even talking? Comment on the OP. YO!

Because I was pointing out your error, which affects the original post.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

Lets just one mulka against the entire mechinoid race , the mulka wins everytime

Yup, I was ignorant of the Mulka also. got a few stats inboxed to me and yes a single Mulka could wipe out the mechanoids.Not to mention I doubt the worlds tree could even affect it.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Nightmask wrote:
say652 wrote:PP is 45 at least in the origanal conversion book page 24 i think. and 50 IS the max PE just like for non enhanced humans 60 is the highest possible PS. Besides Nighty why are we even talking? Comment on the OP. YO!

Isn't that "trolling" ?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

BUT they're not a PC class.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nightmask
Palladin

say652 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Isn't that "trolling" ?

No, that's correcting an error. If that constitute trolling there wouldn't be anyone left on these forums from all the violations. Trolling is deliberately antagonizing and/or attacking someone in order to create a problem, telling someone that they're wrong about something isn't trolling.

Nightmask
Palladin

Given how the ritual save is computed even if you were allowed to have a 100% chance of success (and you aren't), you can't achieve the level and PE score that would let you pull that off, at least not using average rolls. You can't get any kind of bonuses from OCC or race to the save and the requirements for it requires a very high PE and/or Level to even have even odds of making it.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

a norse giant ended up with a PE of 43 (combination of skills,natural abilities, occ bonuses) and level 5 so that gave him a 48% chance of survival. the absolute best is pe 50 + level 15 for a 65% chance of survival.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Conversion Book 1, First Printing (1991), page 26, in the "Physical Prowess and other attributes beyond 30:
[quote="Conversion Book 1, First Printing (1991), page 26, in the 'Physical Prowess and other attributes beyond 30:'" ]Physical Endurance (P.E.): The bonus to save vs poison and magic stops at 30, but the percentage to save vs coma continues at an increment of one point per each additional point beyond 30. Thus a P.E. of 31 provides a 31% chance to save vs coma, 32 is 32%, and so on.[/quote]

I found nothing on a limit of 60.
Last edited by Hotrod on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Johnnycat93 wrote:I'm not actually familiar with this particular ritual but I will take my best shot:

Human Magebane (Merc Adventures pg 25; a silly class for a silly book)
I am immune to all forms of magic and automatically succeed at all saving throws. I'm gonna guess that takes care of the requirements pretty nicely.

well then game over. Nice win
Nightmask
Palladin

Johnnycat93 wrote:I'm not actually familiar with this particular ritual but I will take my best shot:

I am immune to all forms of magic and automatically succeed at all saving throws. I'm gonna guess that takes care of the requirements pretty nicely.

I doubt such a special ability would be applicable, the ritual clearly negates a range of special abilities, if it didn't Odin would have found it a breeze with things like his godly regeneration but it nearly killed him so it can't be that easy (anymore than in a previous thread someone thought that one OCC from I think Rifts: Japan would cakewalk it because he got a big bonus from being hung upside-down and going without food and water to survive it). Outside of having an extremely high PE and level no one should be able to have an easy time of it with the Yggdrasil ritual.

Nightmask
Palladin

Johnnycat93 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

I doubt such a special ability would be applicable, the ritual clearly negates a range of special abilities, if it didn't Odin would have found it a breeze with things like his godly regeneration but it nearly killed him so it can't be that easy (anymore than in a previous thread someone thought that one OCC from I think Rifts: Japan would cakewalk it because he got a big bonus from being hung upside-down and going without food and water to survive it). Outside of having an extremely high PE and level no one should be able to have an easy time of it with the Yggdrasil ritual.

Ok,
on the other hand "The character is totally impervious to all forms of magic that require a saving throw"
and since the title of this thread is "A Munchkin/Rule Nazi Contest" I'm just gonna go with the straight interpretation of the text that I am, in fact, immune to this ritual.
This is not dismissing your point, I'm just opting to leave it out of consideration due to the context of the question. I also have no idea what this ritual actually IS or were to find it, so I couldn't really get into a discussion about it even if I wanted to.

Well from a rules lawyer perspective then the ritual isn't governed by a save vs magic it's a save vs coma/death, because it's not magic it's a torturous ritual that requires you impale yourself on the Yggdrasil tree of Norse Mythology like Odin did and hang there as your body and spirit are taken to the extremes.

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

BUT they're not a PC class.

So! Don't see nothing in the rules about it has to be a pc! Thank you much and good day!

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Reread the rules.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nightmask
Palladin

Johnnycat93 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Johnnycat93 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Ok,
on the other hand "The character is totally impervious to all forms of magic that require a saving throw"
and since the title of this thread is "A Munchkin/Rule Nazi Contest" I'm just gonna go with the straight interpretation of the text that I am, in fact, immune to this ritual.
This is not dismissing your point, I'm just opting to leave it out of consideration due to the context of the question. I also have no idea what this ritual actually IS or were to find it, so I couldn't really get into a discussion about it even if I wanted to.

Well from a rules lawyer perspective then the ritual isn't governed by a save vs magic it's a save vs coma/death, because it's not magic it's a torturous ritual that requires you impale yourself on the Yggdrasil tree of Norse Mythology like Odin did and hang there as your body and spirit are taken to the extremes.

See now that is a good point, I just figured that because of the name it was some ritual related to the old ones, give me a minute and I'll see if I can find something else. Basically I just have to be immune to coma/death right?

Didn't think such a thing existed, although I think a good question that likely can't be answered with more than 'GM's call' is if you had a power like Multiple Lives and died from the ritual would it bring you back and if it did would you have managed to gain none, some, or all of the knowledge the tree offers?

Nightmask
Palladin

Johnnycat93 wrote:So how about a Robot RCC out of SB1 revised? Neural Intelligence, so I have no need to eat or sleep. I never tire and since I don't actually HAVE a PE score, I think I'm exempt from the save since I only "die" if my core system is destroyed.

If that is not good enough I will look through some of the HU powers and come up with something that is silly and unnecessary.

Robots can't undergo the ritual, I don't think cyborgs can either.

Nightmask
Palladin

Johnnycat93 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Johnnycat93 wrote:So how about a Robot RCC out of SB1 revised? Neural Intelligence, so I have no need to eat or sleep. I never tire and since I don't actually HAVE a PE score, I think I'm exempt from the save since I only "die" if my core system is destroyed.

If that is not good enough I will look through some of the HU powers and come up with something that is silly and unnecessary.

Alright, Round Three let's go!

First:
Zombie Flesh (PU 3). I am immune to most physical types of damage and I pick up a pretty sweet +30% to coma/save. So if part of the ritual relies on damaging me, then that takes care of that.
Massive Damage Capacity (PU 3). +1D4 to my PE and an additional +10% to my coma/death saves
Healing Factor (HU). +2D4 to my PE and another +20% to my coma/death saves (and it's a minor power)

So without any rolls or anything I am looking forward to a +60% on that save. I've also only used two major powers and one minor so I can take more if need be.

Myself I don't believe you can get any of those bonuses to save, and given a being with godly regeneration nearly died Zombie Flesh probably isn't going to do much for you of Godly Flesh didn't for him. If you could get those bonuses you'd be better off with Healing Power instead of Massive Damage Capacity, it also gives +20% to your save, so just it and Healing Factor provide a +40% by themselves, and of course whatever bonus Extraordinary PE provides. There are a number of minor powers that give impressive saves vs Coma/Death when combined. No need to go chasing Majors.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Nightmask wrote:
Johnnycat93 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Alright, Round Three let's go!

First:
Zombie Flesh (PU 3). I am immune to most physical types of damage and I pick up a pretty sweet +30% to coma/save. So if part of the ritual relies on damaging me, then that takes care of that.
Massive Damage Capacity (PU 3). +1D4 to my PE and an additional +10% to my coma/death saves
Healing Factor (HU). +2D4 to my PE and another +20% to my coma/death saves (and it's a minor power)
funny you told me savevs coma/death didn't apply...............( ( )
So without any rolls or anything I am looking forward to a +60% on that save. I've also only used two major powers and one minor so I can take more if need be.

Myself I don't believe you can get any of those bonuses to save, and given a being with godly regeneration nearly died Zombie Flesh probably isn't going to do much for you of Godly Flesh didn't for him. If you could get those bonuses you'd be better off with Healing Power instead of Massive Damage Capacity, it also gives +20% to your save, so just it and Healing Factor provide a +40% by themselves, and of course whatever bonus Extraordinary PE provides. There are a number of minor powers that give impressive saves vs Coma/Death when combined. No need to go chasing Majors.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:Reread the rules.

Bah rules we don't need rules!

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I went ahead and used the following four books: Rifts: Ultimate Edition, Rifts Conversion Book 3: Dark Conversions, Nightbane, and Nightbane Book 2: The Nightlands. My goal was to do this with a Rifts Earth Nightbane. According to Dark Conversions, one can either use the table presented in that book for the Nightbane's Form, or you can use the Nightbane book - which I did. This only works with Maximum die rolls whenever P.E. was involved. I didn't write up the full character, only the parts which affect P.E. The final result is a Physical Endurance of 86, requiring a character level of 14 to get the 100% survival. Whether or not max rolls when it comes to P.E. only is considered "realistic" is up for interpretation, since all other rolls can be average or lower and this still works.

Initial Human P.E. roll: 3d6=18, +1D6=24, +1D6=30
With two other stats below seven (pick your least favorite two), one can add +1D5+5 to any other stat, in this case P.E. for 39

Then applied the following physical skills:
Acrobatics (+1 P.E.)
Acrobatics (+1 P.E.)
Forced March (+2 P.E.)
Gymnastics (+2 P.E.)
Kick Boxing (+1 P.E.)
Outdoorsmanship (+1 P.E.)
Physical Labor (+1 P.E.)
Running (+1 P.E.)
Wrestling (+1 P.E.)

The new P.E. now is 50

The Morphus Form adds +10 to P.E. when in Morphus form, for 60

The following Nightbane Results should be legal as per the Nightbane Appearance Table with a Bizarre result, and a Nightbane Characteristics Table result of multiple rolls - I didn't bother to consider any other results that didn't result in a P.E. increase:
Unearthly Beauty: Physical Perfection (+1D4 P.E.)
Animal Form Table: Equine/Bovine/Deer, Full Horse/Bovine/Deer form (+6 P.E.)
Mineral Table: Rough Metal Body (+6 P.E.)
Biomechanical: Metal Endoskeleton/Exoskeleton (+2 P.E.)
Biomechanical: Metal Exoskeleton (+2 P.E.)
Biomechanical: Wheels or Treads (+2 P.E.)

With maximum rolls, this results in a P.E. of 82. Only 3 shy of the goal.

According to Dark Conversions, the character can be any Adventurer OCC, and the Wilderness Scout gives +1D4 to P.E. Again, with maximum rolls, this results in a Final Physical Endurance of 86. With a character level of 14, the chance to survive is now 100%.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Glistam wrote:I went ahead and used the following four books: Rifts: Ultimate Edition, Rifts Conversion Book 3: Dark Conversions, Nightbane, and Nightbane Book 2: The Nightlands. My goal was to do this with a Rifts Earth Nightbane. According to Dark Conversions, one can either use the table presented in that book for the Nightbane's Form, or you can use the Nightbane book - which I did. This only works with Maximum die rolls whenever P.E. was involved. I didn't write up the full character, only the parts which affect P.E. The final result is a Physical Endurance of 86, requiring a character level of 14 to get the 100% survival. Whether or not max rolls when it comes to P.E. only is considered "realistic" is up for interpretation, since all other rolls can be average or lower and this still works.

With two other stats below seven (pick your least favorite two), one can add +1D5+5 to any other stat, in this case P.E. for 39

Then applied the following physical skills:
Acrobatics (+1 P.E.)
Acrobatics (+1 P.E.)
Forced March (+2 P.E.)
Gymnastics (+2 P.E.)
Kick Boxing (+1 P.E.)
Outdoorsmanship (+1 P.E.)
Physical Labor (+1 P.E.)
Running (+1 P.E.)
Wrestling (+1 P.E.)

The new P.E. now is 50

The Morphus Form adds +10 to P.E. when in Morphus form, for 60

The following Nightbane Results should be legal as per the Nightbane Appearance Table with a Bizarre result, and a Nightbane Characteristics Table result of multiple rolls - I didn't bother to consider any other results that didn't result in a P.E. increase:
Unearthly Beauty: Physical Perfection (+1D4 P.E.)
Animal Form Table: Equine/Bovine/Deer, Full Horse/Bovine/Deer form (+6 P.E.)
Mineral Table: Rough Metal Body (+6 P.E.)
Biomechanical: Metal Endoskeleton/Exoskeleton (+2 P.E.)
Biomechanical: Metal Exoskeleton (+2 P.E.)
Biomechanical: Wheels or Treads (+2 P.E.)

With maximum rolls, this results in a P.E. of 82. Only 3 shy of the goal.

According to Dark Conversions, the character can be any Adventurer OCC, and the Wilderness Scout gives +1D4 to P.E. Again, with maximum rolls, this results in a Final Physical Endurance of 86. With a character level of 14, the chance to survive is now 100%.

You have achieved worship level awesomeness. :clown:
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Except he missed the second condition in the OP:
- No unrealistically-high rolls
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

While the ritual has a saving throw vs. coma/death, the actual bonuses to such do not apply. In fact the only numbers applicable for the saves are your PE score combined with level (a 5th level PC with a PE of 15 would need to roll a 20% or below two out of three times).

As for if any being were immune/automatically succeeds a save vs. coma/death, I would rule that the World Tree would not perform the ritual and therefore they do not gain the benefits, or must voluntarily let down their defenses for the ritual.

As for the multiple lives, if they die and come back, I would say that they failed the ritual and do not gain the knowledge, possibly gaining an insanity for their troubles.

Since so many people are having trouble getting to 100% without unrealistically high rolls, what about getting it as high as possible using averages with a minimum base line of 19 (16 + 3.5 rounded down)?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I present... Dumbo, the flying elephant wizard wannabe!
Going the P.E. maximizing route in Heroes Unlimited, I'll start with a base attribute of 23. It's exceptional, but not unreasonable if I assign the highest attribute I roll to it. This will be a mutant animal.

This will be a self-taught wild mutant. +6 to P.E., but few skills. It's up to 29 now.

Take the following physical skills (HU versions) for a total of +2. That's 31 now.
Climbing: +1
Running: +1

The character is an elephant, full-sized. +12 P.E. That's 43 now. Unfortunately, he can't stand up, use things that require hands (Dr. Seuess' Horton the Elephant can climb a tree, so climbing is still ok as a skill selection), or talk. That would give him a thirst for a magical ability to speak all languages.

Super powers: One major, three minor abilities
Minor abilities:
Extraordinary PE: +2D6. We'll take an average roll of +7. We're at 50.
Healing Factor: +2D4. We'll take an average roll of +5. We're at 55
Winged Flight: (I couldn't find any other minor abilities that boost P.E., so I figured that this elephant can use his ears like Dumbo)

For major abilities, I'll take Animal Abilities: Bear. +3D6 to P.E. Now he's a flying elephant with 5 pet bears or dogs to do his bidding. He still can't talk, though. With an average roll of 11, We're at a P.E. of 66.

Now Dumbo gets captured by the Splugorth who decide to take this poor guy to a whole new level. He gets some symbiotes:
Symbiotic Heart (Splynn Dimensional Market): +3 to P.E.
Thundergut (Splynn Dimensional Market) +1d4 to P.E. We'll take a middle-low roll of 2.
This takes Dumbo up to 71 P.E. and makes him a raw-meat carnivore. He'll suck at hunting, but he can have his dogs and bears do that for him.

Rescued from Atlantis, Dumbo is taken back to Asgard, along with a recently-captured Juicer Wannabe who was in the same slave pen. Dumbo takes the Wannabe Juicer's drugs away from him and flies over to the big tree. He's sick of everyone treating him like a big, dumb elephant, so he's gonna do this!

A little over a week out from the expected end of the ritual, he starts taking Mega (Juicer Uprising, page 63. +2 to PE.
He impales himself to the tree with some pointy magic thing or other.
Within an hour of the ritual's end, he takes Rush (designer drug from Triax, page 177 and Juicer Uprising, page 63) +10 to PE.
He also takes Juice (Juicer Uprising, page 63) +4 to PE

In summary, Dumbo has a physical endurance of anywhere from 50 to 111, depending on the dice rolls. In this case, by starting with an exceptionally good, but plausible P.E attribute, and with some careful timing, Dumbo is at a PE of 87 when it's time to make his survival roll. As luck would have it, he's quite the experienced flying elephant by this point, at level 13, giving him an assured, 100% survival rate.

And now he's a friggin wizard! Unfortunately, his PPE base is a paltry 6D6 per Conversion Book 1. He can always sacrifice those pet bears and dogs he controls with his Bear animal abilities. He's also probably bonkers now, too, but at least he can talk now.

I dare you. Come up with something more awesomely over-the-top than my Dumbo.
Last edited by Hotrod on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Hotrod wrote:I present... Dumbo, the flying elephant wizard wannabe!
Going the PE route in Heroes Unlimited, I'll start with a base attribute of 23. It's exceptional, but not unreasonable if I assign the highest attribute I roll to it. This will be a mutant animal.

This will be a self-taught wild mutant. +6 to PE, but few skills. It's up to 29 now.

Take the following physical skills (HU versions) for a total of +2. That's 31 now.
Climbing: +1

The character is an elephant, full-sized. +12 PE. That's 43 now. Unfortunately, he can't stand up, use things that require hands, or talk.

Super powers: One major, three minor abilities
Minor abilities:
Extraordinary PE: +2D6. We'll take an average roll of +7. We're at 50.
Healing Factor: +2D4. We'll take an average roll of +5. We're at 55
Winged Flight: (I couldn't find any other minor abilities that boost PE, so I figured that this elephant can use his ears like Dumbo)

For major abilities, I'll take Animal Abilities: Bear. +3D6 to P.E. An average roll of 11. We're at 66.

Now Dumbo gets captured by the Splugorth who decide to take this poor guy to a whole new level. He gets some symbiotes:
Thundergut (Splynn Dimensional Market) +1d4 to P.E. We'll assume it's a 2.
This takes Dumbo up to 71 P.E. and makes him a carnivore.

Rescued from Atlantis, Dumbo is taken back to Asgard, along with a recently-captured Juicer Wannabe who was in the same slave pen. Dumbo takes the Wannabe Juicer's drugs away from him and flies over to the big tree. He's sick of everyone treating him like a big, dumb elephant, so he's gonna do this!

A little over a week out from the expected end of the ritual, he starts taking Mega (Juicer Uprising, page 63. +2 to PE.
Within an hour of the ritual's end, he takes Rush (designer drug from Triax, page 177 and Juicer Uprising, page 63) +10 to PE.

In summary, by this approach, Dumbo has a physical endurance of anywhere from 50 to 111, depending on the dice rolls. In this case, by starting with an exceptionally good, but plausible P.E attribute, and with some careful timing, Dumbo is at a PE of 87 when it's time to make his survival roll. As luck would have it, he's quite the experienced flying elephant by this point, at level 13, giving him an assured, 100% survival rate.

And now he's a friggin wizard! Unfortunately, his PPE base is a paltry 6D6 per Conversion Book 1. He's also probably bonkers now, too.

I dare you. Come up with something more awesomely over-the-top than my Dumbo.

LOL. I guess I stand corrected.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Glistam wrote:(snip)

(snip)
this results in a Final Physical Endurance of 86. With a character level of 14, the chance to survive is now 100%.

I salute a worthy effort! Unfortunately, your approach depends on getting maximum rolls every time. It's possible, but too improbable to be plausible (no unrealistically-high rolls was one of the rules).

Of course, if you throw in a couple of the tricks I used, that should pop you over.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Then here's this, from the (original) first Robotech Book 1: A full-sized (non-micronized) Zentraedi. The P.E. score is multiplied by 100, so even with an average or below-average character, at level 1, they would have over a 100% chance to succeed. And since they're S.D.C. still with hundreds of H.P. and S.D.C., they would only lose 1D6 H.P. from the ordeal.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Alternate Approach: Irresistable Force Meets Immovable Object.

With this approach, I take advantage of any canon circumstances that would prevent a character from dying during this ritual.

Mindprancer (adventures in the Northern Wilderness from Palladium Fantasy) is a special rune weapon. In the hands of an ordinary human (or any creature), that owner cannot die unless Mindprancer consents and is returned to its home in a random cave in the Great Northern Wilderness in the Palladium dimension.

A Vampire can only be killed in certain ways. This isn't one of them. Granted, I don't think a vampire would last long in Asgard, but if one got staked to the tree in a shady spot, it might be possible.

Mentally Possess some poor guy staked to the tree. If he dies, no biggie, you go back to your body. If he survives, YOUR mind inherits all the knowledge. (I realize that many wouldn't interpret or rule it this way, but it's canonically possible).

Resurrection. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! Have a biomancer on standby (Most efficient resurrection in the game) and a tattoed man with the resurrection tattoo standing by as backup.

Any other "cheat death" tricks out there?
Last edited by Hotrod on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Glistam wrote:Then here's this, from the (original) first Robotech Book 1: A full-sized (non-micronized) Zentraedi. The P.E. score is multiplied by 100, so even with an average or below-average character, at level 1, they would have over a 100% chance to succeed. And since they're S.D.C. still with hundreds of H.P. and S.D.C., they would only lose 1D6 H.P. from the ordeal.

Genius! You beat the challenge and got five of the bonus challenges to boot!

Out of curiosity, does the current edition of Robotech still have this mechanic?
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Deific Gurse: Immortality would give you a 100% survival rate.
Other than that, it really depends on your interpretation of the ritual.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

dumbo, zentraedi, etc. I thought one of the rules was had to be human and another rule that seemed to be broken was a 14th level guy, when it had to be 1st level.

I would have said Mindprancer (my brother's favourite), but was beat to it.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

A mulka wouldn't have any incentive to impale himself on the tree. The 'Must be human' condition is a bonus condition actually. Some amusing 'coincidences' needed for everything to come together just right for the high P.E. :D
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Nightmask
Palladin

Eclipse wrote:A mulka wouldn't have any incentive to impale himself on the tree. The 'Must be human' condition is a bonus condition actually. Some amusing 'coincidences' needed for everything to come together just right for the high P.E. :D

Yes, it's not really possible to pull off what it would take to push the PE so high you'd have to be flipside lucky to roll so poorly as to fail and die. You can get into the 'really good shot' range but not 'cakewalk' range.

One thing though is, what point is it for the character to be doing this? If it's not a spell-casting class of some sort or got a very high base PPE the spells are mostly going to be worthless, unless you're going to try and make money training others in the spells even though you can't cast them. About the only thing it has that anyone can use is the gift of Tongues to read, write, and speak all languages and maybe a few other minor perks since you can pretty much recognize any type of magic or spell.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I present a Rifts: Earth North America/Atlantis only approach: Old Yeller
Old Yeller is a feral Dog Boy! Starts with a P.E. of 3D6 with possible bonus die. We'll assume 23 (exceptional, but plausible; we'll assign the highest attribute roll to P.E.).

Breed: Pit Bull: +2D6. We'll assume an average roll of 7. P.E. is now 30

OCC: Wilderness Scout. +1D4. We'll assume a roll of 3. P.E. is now 33

Skills: Takes a lot of physical ones. They add up to +9. P.E. is now 42. (Note that this character is at least level three, so he has six OCC related skills to select. Running is taken as a secondary skill.)
Forced march: +2
Gymnastics: +2
Kick Boxing: +1
Outdoorsmanship: +1
Physical Labor: +1
Wrestling: +1

Now, this is, so far, a typical Rifts character, which allows us, by CB1, to give him super powers. We'll take the Three Major option.
1. Animal Abilities: Bear. +3D6. We'll assume 11.
2. Animal Abilities: Hoofed. +2D6. We'll assume 7.
3. Animal Abilities: Canine. +1D6. We'll assume 3.
This brings our total to 63, and this character can now command a herd of dogs, bears, and hoofed animals.

After inadvertently doing an Aberrant High Lord a favor, the High Lord returns it with some symbiotes and lifespan extension. Old Yeller didn't want 'em, but the High Lord insisted/forced him to take them:
Thundergut (Splynn Dimensional Market) +1d4 to P.E. We'll assume it's a 3.
We're up to 69 P.E.

After a long and prosperous life of adventuring (level 15), Old Yeller, having worked with some Asgardian Elves, decides he wants to try his hand at the Gift of Magic. He buys some drugs and hops through a rift to the big tree.

In summary, you have a range from 41 P.E. (with unrealistically low rolls on everything) to 114 P.E. (with unrealistically high rolls on everything). With the plausible outcome of 85 P.E. and his vast experience, you have a 100% assured success.
Last edited by Hotrod on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

ZorValachan wrote:dumbo, zentraedi, etc. I thought one of the rules was had to be human and another rule that seemed to be broken was a 14th level guy, when it had to be 1st level.

I would have said Mindprancer (my brother's favourite), but was beat to it.

Those are bonus challenges to have it at first level and be human. The challenge is to come up with a canon way to have a 100% guaranteed survival rate for Yggdrasil's Gift of Magic.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Nightmask wrote:
Eclipse wrote:A mulka wouldn't have any incentive to impale himself on the tree. The 'Must be human' condition is a bonus condition actually. Some amusing 'coincidences' needed for everything to come together just right for the high P.E. :D

Yes, it's not really possible to pull off what it would take to push the PE so high you'd have to be flipside lucky to roll so poorly as to fail and die. You can get into the 'really good shot' range but not 'cakewalk' range.

One thing though is, what point is it for the character to be doing this? If it's not a spell-casting class of some sort or got a very high base PPE the spells are mostly going to be worthless, unless you're going to try and make money training others in the spells even though you can't cast them. About the only thing it has that anyone can use is the gift of Tongues to read, write, and speak all languages and maybe a few other minor perks since you can pretty much recognize any type of magic or spell.

Bragging rights and free drinks at the bar? ;)

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Nightmask
Palladin

Hotrod wrote:I present a Rifts: Earth North America/Atlantis only approach: Old Yeller
Old Yeller is a feral Dog Boy! Starts with a P.E. of 3D6 with possible bonus die. We'll assume 23 (exceptional, but plausible; we'll assign the highest attribute roll to P.E.).

Breed: Pit Bull: +2D6. We'll assume an average roll of 7. P.E. is now 30

OCC: Wilderness Scout. +1D4. We'll assume a roll of 3. P.E. is now 33

Skills: Takes a lot of physical ones. They add up to +9. P.E. is now 42. (Note that this character is at least level three, so he has six OCC related skills to select. Running is taken as a secondary skill.)
Forced march: +2
Gymnastics: +2
Kick Boxing: +1
Outdoorsmanship: +1
Physical Labor: +1
Wrestling: +1

Now, this is, so far, a typical Rifts character, which allows us, by CB1, to give him super powers. We'll take the Three Major option.
1. Animal Abilities: Bear. +3D6. We'll assume 11.
2. Animal Abilities: Hoofed. +2D6. We'll assume 7.
3. Animal Abilities: Canine. +1D6. We'll assume 3.
This brings our total to 63, and this character can now command a herd of dogs, bears, and hoofed animals.

After inadvertently doing an Aberrant High Lord a favor, the High Lord returns it with some symbiotes and lifespan extension. Old Yeller didn't want 'em, but the High Lord insisted/forced him to take them:
Thundergut (Splynn Dimensional Market) +1d4 to P.E. We'll assume it's a 3.
We're up to 69 P.E.

After a long and prosperous life of adventuring (level 15), Old Yeller, having worked with some Asgardian Elves, decides he wants to try his hand at the Gift of Magic. He buys some drugs and hops through a rift to the big tree.

In summary, you have a range from 41 P.E. (with unrealistically low rolls on everything) to 114 P.E. (with unrealistically high rolls on everything). With the plausible outcome of 85 P.E. and his vast experience, you have a 100% assured success.

Yeah, uh, no the drugs aren't going to work, the ritual is for I believe 9 days (at least 7) and no drug (particularly those drugs) is going to last that long to provide any kind of PE benefit during something like this. I also don't think the super-power option for Scholars and Adventurers would apply to Dog Boys. Still, a good try.

Nightmask
Palladin

Eclipse wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Bragging rights and free drinks at the bar? ;)

So the character is supposed to be more insane and death-seeking than a Juicer, looking for the ultimate bragging rights and thrills even though he can't really make use of the prize?

Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

With a P.E. like that.. sure ;)

Pepsi Jedi
Nightmask
Palladin

Eclipse wrote:With a P.E. like that.. sure ;)

Except that really doesn't do much for your survival, if you're in an SDC environment it grants you a lot of extra HP and makes passing a save vs Coma/Death easy but isn't as important to surviving as having a lot of MDC (in Rifts) or tons of SDC and HP elsewhere.

Return to “Rifts®”