It is something that we all do, so spill.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

It is something that we all do, so spill.

Unread post by pblackcrow »

How many of you guys based a game on anime/cartoons/TV shows? Which ones do you use? Don't post conversions or anything.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Cinos
Hero

Re: It is something that we all do, so spill.

Unread post by Cinos »

I haven't for a suuper long time, but way back in like middle school I did an outlaw star themed 3 Galaxy's game.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I have done some pokemon style characters in my Heroes Unlimited game and base some stuff on Final Fantasy.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I have made anime based chars. Mostly NS with their morphus based out of anime. (SDF-1, M. Frontier, A Gundam Girl, a Valkarie w/SAP packs. and one who is the spitting image of Lina Inverse when in it's morphus.)
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed May 15, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by SmilingJack »

Oh absolutely!

The vicissitudes of life are often captured in literature and plays and recycled through time

Even romeo and Juliet was derived from the Greek myth: Pyramus and Thisbe

I've drawn a ton of inspiration from games I've played and TV shows inclusive of

Ronin Warriors
The Legend of Zelda
Quest For Glory Series
King's Quest
Greek Mythology
The Odyssey
The Iliad
Metamorphoses
A Song of Ice and Fire / Game Of Thrones
Conan The Barbarian / Conan The Destroyer

Take a element and blend it your own creative construct

Thanks to all these great pieces for inspiration
~ Love Conquers All ~
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Final fantasy 3 right down to the espers and quick fire summons
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by SmilingJack »

Zamion138 wrote:Final fantasy 3 right down to the espers and quick fire summons

That's so sick,

Great idea

I've incorporated the limit break a few times in adventures to let players have a super attack

Thanks for reminding me of how much I love final fantasy
~ Love Conquers All ~
Zamion138
Hero

SmilingJack wrote:

That's so sick,

Great idea

I've incorporated the limit break a few times in adventures to let players have a super attack

Thanks for reminding me of how much I love final fantasy

By the way for any about to. Jump on me...ff3 natc so ff6 fanicom(japan)
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Never did it. I've always found it more entertaining to try and create something original. My most annoying player back in the day kept trying to create a Highlander, but I wouldn't let that fly.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

We played themed games, but the themes were never based on shows or books. They were usually based on a shared goal or on a type of character.

For instance:
-- Temporal Raider's party: The TR was an NPC. All players were either Temporal Wizards, Temporal Warriors, or something similar
-- Primitives Rifted into North America: Made fantasy normals (no magic, no psionics) and rifted them in. Fun, but deadly.
-- Supers Rifted into North America: we tried to ally with the CS, but the CS tried to imprison us. This degenerated into a "kill the CS" game
-- No opposable thumbs: With all the difficulties you'd expect. Heck, finding races that qualified was part of the challenge
-- Build a Better Black Market: we tried to build a competing organization. Campaign eventually got bogged down in logistics and we gave up.
-- Steal Everything!: Goal was to make money as fast as possible. Don't remember what for. Degenerated into a "loot the CS" game.

If you're looking for a change of pace, I totally recommend the "no opposable thumbs" theme. Really!

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Totally did this too. Magitek armor was pretty awesome. Man, freshman year of high school was a loooong time ago. :eek:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

justice league and x-men type games. and of course starwars also resident evil,return of the living dead(hehehe),teenage mutant ninja turtles(heroes in a half shell TURTLE POWER!), R.A. Salvatore books(awesome check them out),power rangers, and played in a failed Dragonball Z campaign attempt,I am working on a campaign now centering around an interdimensional winemaker using magic to aquire raw materials at a discount price.
Zamion138
Hero

Alrik Vas wrote:

Totally did this too. Magitek armor was pretty awesome. Man, freshman year of high school was a loooong time ago. :eek:

Hehehe i think i. Was a sophomore, game did not last long the gm ran it so close to the cartridge game we kind saw what was comming. Also, at first he was making the random mobs to much like a video game and inns dont cure everything in rifts.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Wicked City would be my favourite bts/n&s mission that i dm'd. I tried ninja scrolls but it didn't work out as well.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

After reading Madmanmike's post, I remembered one player who had a 'Highlander' type character. The only other thing I remember is a non PB fantasy game in which I had Ren and Stimpy and the 'magical chocolaty ice cream bar'. One character lost the 'Don't pee on the electric fence' game. Oh, and All the things in Robotech got into my Robotech game..somehow.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I did Wild Talents Naruto once. It went very well. I've also done Wild Talents Age of Apocalypse. I prefer point-based games for stuff like that in general because I can give the players instructions on how to set up the character and let them do most of the work. I'm lazy. :)
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Never did it. I've always found it more entertaining to try and create something original. My most annoying player back in the day kept trying to create a Highlander, but I wouldn't let that fly.

And now I'm reminded of the old Nightspawn/Highlander fanfic I read ages ago.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Marrowlight wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:Never did it. I've always found it more entertaining to try and create something original. My most annoying player back in the day kept trying to create a Highlander, but I wouldn't let that fly.

And now I'm reminded of the old Nightspawn/Highlander fanfic I read ages ago.

I'm a little frightened now.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

I remember it being pretty good, actually, for fanfic. I was also a teenager back then, so, :lol: :lol:
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
pblackcrow
Champion

I have done a game of Mystic China loosely based on the anime Peacock King Spirit Warrior Castle of Illusion. The players love it.

I did a game of Ninjas & Superspies and sent them up against the 108 Dragons in Crying Freeman They actually managed to sabotage the propeller on the Dragons Submarine and than sank it and invade the Dragons island. But they thought that part would be a cake walk. That they majorly goofed up on...It was anything but.

I did a whole PFRPG campaign based loosely on the primes from the cartoon Conan the Adventurer. But the snake men had to loose all of their hit points before they could be sent to the void. And in my games it was 13 towers not pyramids on 12 nexuses that surrounded a super nexus and a 13th tower, with a star metal sculls on top the 12 and a very large star metal archway on the 13th, to free Set on the winter solstice.

I have mixed Relic Hunter with Poltergeist: The Legacy and Friday the 13th: The Series in my BtS games.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
arthurfallz
Wanderer

Unread post by arthurfallz »

I give this advice to GMs I train. "If you're going to steal, steal shamelessly."

But I always format the character to work in the world, rather than shoehorn a process that doesn't belong there. If I want The Highlander to appear in my game, I find a way to make the essential themes of Connor/Duncan MacLeod work in Rifts / HU / whatever. He's immortal, he's scottish, he's old, he fights with a sword. The other details are, imho, superfluous.

To the point. If I wanted Gandalf the Grey to appear in my PF game, I would make him the avatar of a god, practicing a Wizard O.C.C. I wouldn't try to make the Istari, and the Valar and Maiar and somehow put them in the Palladium rules. Likewise, when I had Sauron invade Rifts Earth, he was a Supernatural Intelligence (this was well before CJ's Pantheons of the Megaverse book).
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

pblackcrow wrote:How many of you guys based a game on anime/cartoons/TV shows? Which ones do you use? Don't post conversions or anything.

Prince Valiant (the old-school comic strip). Seriously, that creation is a treasure trove of epic medieval adventure. Start with the originals from the late 30s. The art is astounding in quality, especially when you consider that it's always been a newspaper comic strip. The stories are compelling, too.

Seriously, check Prince Valiant out (literally; you can sneak a peek on Amazon, or probably find Volume I in your local library). You won't be disappointed.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
pblackcrow
Champion

Hotrod wrote:Prince Valiant (the old-school comic strip). Seriously, that creation is a treasure trove of epic medieval adventure. Start with the originals from the late 30s. The art is astounding in quality, especially when you consider that it's always been a newspaper comic strip. The stories are compelling, too.

Seriously, check Prince Valiant out (literally; you can sneak a peek on Amazon, or probably find Volume I in your local library). You won't be disappointed.

Yeah, I agree. I have to say, I have actually used stuff from the animated series in my games. Hulu.com has some of them.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”