Coalition and Vampires

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lostsoul336
Wanderer

Coalition and Vampires

Unread post by lostsoul336 »

So i havent gotten the new vampire books yet however i am planning on getting them soon so if this is covered in those books let me know. In my campaign the group is working in the Coalition out of Lonestar and ended up capturing a vampire at which point they (by shear luck) brought it back to lonestar to be studied. I am thinking about what the coalition would do when they found out about this. I am currently thinking that Dr. Bradford will end up not sharing the information and instead create a special elite squad to capture and bring back more vampires to study. What do you think would happen?
I've faced everything from the Mechaniods to the 4 Horsemen, what's the CS war gonna throw at me?

A juicer with an impact wrench, so what, I've got a UAR-1 Enforcer, what's he going to do.

You come to a fork in the road...
...I pick it up!
Dunia
Adventurer

Re: Coalition and Vampires

Unread post by Dunia »

According to the Vampire Kingdom Revised, Lone Star has a military operation called Operation Nightowl in place in order to learn more about vampires and how to kill them. I am sure that Dr Bradford will be curious for the firs vampires that are delivered to him, then - after a while he will let an elite team of scientists take care of this for him.

The vampires will be tested, vivisected and researched upon, over and over. none of this will ever reach the civilian or lower military. Your PCs will most probably be under order that this incident did not happen and then they will be sent out again to fetch more specimen.
arthurfallz
Wanderer

Unread post by arthurfallz »

Dunia wrote:According to the Vampire Kingdom Revised, Lone Star has a military operation called Operation Nightowl in place in order to learn more about vampires and how to kill them. I am sure that Dr Bradford will be curious for the firs vampires that are delivered to him, then - after a while he will let an elite team of scientists take care of this for him.

The vampires will be tested, vivisected and researched upon, over and over. none of this will ever reach the civilian or lower military. Your PCs will most probably be under order that this incident did not happen and then they will be sent out again to fetch more specimen.

Can anyone else forsee an ALIENS style scenario, with the evil vampires slowly breaking out of the base while unlucky Coaltion Grunts and one grouchy-ass female Operator are sent in to clean up the mess?

"Game over man, game over!"
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

arthurfallz wrote:
Dunia wrote:According to the Vampire Kingdom Revised, Lone Star has a military operation called Operation Nightowl in place in order to learn more about vampires and how to kill them. I am sure that Dr Bradford will be curious for the firs vampires that are delivered to him, then - after a while he will let an elite team of scientists take care of this for him.

Can anyone else forsee an ALIENS style scenario, with the evil vampires slowly breaking out of the base while unlucky Coaltion Grunts and one grouchy-ass female Operator are sent in to clean up the mess?

Until the operator pulls the fire alarm and the vamps melt.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

rat_bastard wrote:
arthurfallz wrote:

Does water even work on vampires after the revised Vampire Kingdoms? Wood doesn't even work like it should if you use the revised book or crosses.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

rat_bastard wrote:
arthurfallz wrote:

Sprinklers aren't very effective against a vamp who has turned to mist and entered the ventilation system.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Water only burns them if it touches their skin and is "flowing"...
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Yes water, sunlight, staking followed by decapitation and burning the body and separate are the ways to kill vampires in revised.

Wood still works vs vampires it is just that you cannot take two sticks and cross them to use as a holy symbol although holy symbols themself work fine.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Slight001 wrote:Water only burns them if it touches their skin and is "flowing"...

The only change to it is the have to touch their skin part it was always necessary to have flowing water.

As for the touching their skin unless they are wearing environmental body armor most of the squirt cannons and rain spells will work. The only real change is if you are going after a secondary vamp with a tiny squirt gun you may need to aim at an exposed body part.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

flatline wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
arthurfallz wrote:

Sprinklers aren't very effective against a vamp who has turned to mist and entered the ventilation system.

--flatline

A vamp that has turned to mist is not hurting or controlling anyone.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
arthurfallz
Wanderer

rat_bastard wrote:
arthurfallz wrote:

Clearly, some fool would deliver a load of MDC umbrellas right before the outbreak.

"Umbrellas? Game over man, game over."

M.D.C. Umbrella
30 M.D.C. with an AR of 12. Also repels water.
Comes in green, pink, blue and camo.
10,000 credits.
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

lostsoul336 wrote:So i havent gotten the new vampire books yet however i am planning on getting them soon so if this is covered in those books let me know. In my campaign the group is working in the Coalition out of Lonestar and ended up capturing a vampire at which point they (by shear luck) brought it back to lonestar to be studied. I am thinking about what the coalition would do when they found out about this. I am currently thinking that Dr. Bradford will end up not sharing the information and instead create a special elite squad to capture and bring back more vampires to study. What do you think would happen?

1. How'd you capture it?
2. I think that Bradford would most likely have the captured vamps taken to a secret facility outside of Lonestar proper, one specially designed to house vamps, just in case some got loose and/or caused trouble.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

Capturing Vamps used to be as easy as staking them, and holding them in an air-tight space so they can't mist out. Not sure what it entails in the new UE:Revised world, but that's all it used to take. Now, what to do with them after that? Observing them via closed circuit TV, perhaps, to try and learn about their (un)life-cycle and feeding habits/starvation? Dousing them with water, acid, fire, whatever to try and figure out their weaknesses/healing rate? Until of course the Vamp uses Death Trance to lure his guards into his cell...
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

flatline wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
arthurfallz wrote:

--flatline

Yeah they would , but they are up against Bradford, and not some random CS scientist.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
lostsoul336 wrote:So i havent gotten the new vampire books yet however i am planning on getting them soon so if this is covered in those books let me know. In my campaign the group is working in the Coalition out of Lonestar and ended up capturing a vampire at which point they (by shear luck) brought it back to lonestar to be studied. I am thinking about what the coalition would do when they found out about this. I am currently thinking that Dr. Bradford will end up not sharing the information and instead create a special elite squad to capture and bring back more vampires to study. What do you think would happen?

1. How'd you capture it?
2. I think that Bradford would most likely have the captured vamps taken to a secret facility outside of Lonestar proper, one specially designed to house vamps, just in case some got loose and/or caused trouble.

Some how Grimtooth traps come to mind, when I think of Bradford.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
lostsoul336
Wanderer

Unread post by lostsoul336 »

In my game, Bradford is trying to make a new supersoldier using the famous vampire healing and strength. It is going to backfire and create a new breed of "vampire" more of the movie style where they will have different abilities probably from nightbane and BTS and go from there. I plan on them either getting free when this happens or getting rifted to a parallel earth where they star the "vampire" myths we all know.
I've faced everything from the Mechaniods to the 4 Horsemen, what's the CS war gonna throw at me?

A juicer with an impact wrench, so what, I've got a UAR-1 Enforcer, what's he going to do.

You come to a fork in the road...
...I pick it up!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

1. How'd you capture it?

Chains of silver work or simply impaling it with a stake in the heart. They are inert when staked so you can stake them and transport them easily to whatever containment facility you want. If you make a strong MDC air tight containment room with high pressure water hoses if any vamp got to sassy it could be disposed of easily.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Eashamahel wrote:Capturing Vamps used to be as easy as staking them, and holding them in an air-tight space so they can't mist out. Not sure what it entails in the new UE:Revised world, but that's all it used to take. Now, what to do with them after that? Observing them via closed circuit TV, perhaps, to try and learn about their (un)life-cycle and feeding habits/starvation? Dousing them with water, acid, fire, whatever to try and figure out their weaknesses/healing rate? Until of course the Vamp uses Death Trance to lure his guards into his cell...

That is pretty much the same as it is now. Once staked they are inert you can also I believe use chains of silver. Once staked you don't even need to bother with air tight space once staked they are inert they cannot move/think/talk anything. They will spring to live instantly once the stake is removed but while staked they are harmless and easy to transport.

With the CS they have the option of potentially using skelebot type robots programed for surgery nothing for a vamp to mind control and everything could be handled via close circuit TV. Bradford has had to do it the hard and nasty way the CS has a lot more high tech options to make a very secure vampire testing facility.
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

What about CS Operation Holy House(IIRC) from Arzno?
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

The CS has special anti supernatural units out of the black vault. With the time that they have known about vampires I am shure they have cunducted reserch into how to fight them. So I do not think the CS in lonestar whould not lack in ways to deal with vampires. High presure water is moving and can go threw most materal that the vampires whould have on. To a vampire a fire truck is a real pain. I also see dog boys and cs battle cats aremed with bows and wodden spears beeing deployed agaist them. (does not mater if these units go down as they whould be expendable all mutant attack animals.)
I even see loan star developing a modifed deaths head transport with a device to condence water out of the air to rain down the pain. (If I recall right they have contact with the human nation in central/south america so gettig vampire hunting tactics and ideas whould be real easy.)
In the areas around loan star or vampire hot spots some anti vampire gear and training whould be standard. Wooden stakes and crosses are fairly cheep. I do see loan star expermenting with atempts to creat artifical sunlight lights/weapons that affect vampires. That may require live subjects. But if they could perfect it then all their bases and city fortereses could be kept 100% vamp free.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Fortress cities would be difficult for vampires to infiltrate due to the high number of psi stalkers and very high number of dog boys prowling around both of which are natural predators of vampires. A vamp may infiltrate for a small period of time but would have almost no chance of really starting off a nest or maintaining presence in the fortress for any period of time.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

RGG wrote:Dr Bradford is a vampire... I'm waiting for that to be the next twist in a book.

And with all that cloning equipment, he'll never run out of food. ;)
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

maybe certain vampiric traits could be stripped away(weakness to sunlight, etc.) or certain vampiric abilities(immunities,supernatural strength) could be added to "normal" people. most likely bradford will figure out how to create a "daywalker". add in cheesy glasses and a sword lol
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

kaid wrote:
Slight001 wrote:Water only burns them if it touches their skin and is "flowing"...

The only change to it is the have to touch their skin part it was always necessary to have flowing water.

As for the touching their skin unless they are wearing environmental body armor most of the squirt cannons and rain spells will work. The only real change is if you are going after a secondary vamp with a tiny squirt gun you may need to aim at an exposed body part.

As per the revised book, just wearing clothes is enough that it is not 'running' water any more. Vampire in wet clothes is just a vamp in wet clothes. hitting the face/hands would be called shots.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

ZorValachan wrote:
kaid wrote:

As per the revised book, just wearing clothes is enough that it is not 'running' water any more. Vampire in wet clothes is just a vamp in wet clothes. hitting the face/hands would be called shots.

True but with something like a firehose or some of the bigger water cannons anywhere you hit is going going to in effect cover their entire body with running water so unless they are in environmental suites high pressure hoses/firefighting equipment larger TW weapons pretty much would ignore the clothing.

The clothing rule is pretty much to keep toy water pistols from being super deadly to secondary vamps. With those and the smaller water pistols/water rifles you would have to aim at an exposed body part.
arthurfallz
Wanderer

kaid wrote:
ZorValachan wrote:
kaid wrote:

True but with something like a firehose or some of the bigger water cannons anywhere you hit is going going to in effect cover their entire body with running water so unless they are in environmental suites high pressure hoses/firefighting equipment larger TW weapons pretty much would ignore the clothing.

The clothing rule is pretty much to keep toy water pistols from being super deadly to secondary vamps. With those and the smaller water pistols/water rifles you would have to aim at an exposed body part.

Maybe give them an A.R. to the water attack if they're clothed? Doesn't that seem a simple way to do it?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

I've always gone with AR, simply because vamps often wear waterproof clothes (leather, PVC, trench coats, etc.).

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Blue_Lion
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:I've always gone with AR, simply because vamps often wear waterproof clothes (leather, PVC, trench coats, etc.).

That does sorta make sense but high presure house such as a presure washer or fire hose whould probaly cut threw it right away. As whould some of the old TW water weapons from the unrevised book.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Blue_Lion wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:I've always gone with AR, simply because vamps often wear waterproof clothes (leather, PVC, trench coats, etc.).

That does sorta make sense but high presure house such as a presure washer or fire hose whould probaly cut threw it right away. As whould some of the old TW water weapons from the unrevised book.

Well, it's not going to cut through leather or anything, but yeah, if you soak somebody then AR doesn't really apply.

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

Well, it's not going to cut through leather or anything, but yeah, if you soak somebody then AR doesn't really apply.

Depends on what is included in the water too, little nano bots designed to tore into clothes, I'm sure the blood suckers really wouldn't like that.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

I bet you can cut with high presure water. Infact I bet what ever is in my trash can agaist what ever is in yours that people do cut with water and things allot harder than leather to. But I did not mean the orignal quote lituraly as in that much water hitting them anything short of full rain gear/fire fighting gear whoud be useless. And even that whould be less efective.

Ravenwing
Hero

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

Well, it's not going to cut through leather or anything, but yeah, if you soak somebody then AR doesn't really apply.[/quote]

Actually KC I have to call you out as wrong on that.

High Pressure Water is used to cut steel, and a wide variety of materials. here's a quick Wiki Link to show just some of the stuff that Waterjets cut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_jet_cutter

Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Ravenwing wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

High Pressure Water is used to cut steel, and a wide variety of materials. here's a quick Wiki Link to show just some of the stuff that Waterjets cut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_jet_cutter[/quote]

KC wasn't talking about water cutters though, he was talking about fire hoses and pressure washers. Which aren't going to be cutting much. They might rip cloth off of someone but that is about it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Ravenwing wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

When Rifts has those statted out as anti-vampire weapons, then you'll have something.
Until then....

Ravenwing
Hero

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

When Rifts has those statted out as anti-vampire weapons, then you'll have something.
Until then....

Techno-wizard:
Create Water+Sub-particle acceleration+Superhuman Strength+ pack mounted watercannon.
Tada! :mrgreen:

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Ravenwing wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:When Rifts has those statted out as anti-vampire weapons, then you'll have something.
Until then....

Techno-wizard:
Create Water+Sub-particle acceleration+Superhuman Strength+ pack mounted watercannon.

Subject to GM approval. :p

Ravenwing
Hero

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:When Rifts has those statted out as anti-vampire weapons, then you'll have something.
Until then....

Techno-wizard:

:badbad: Drat! Foiled by the ole' GM again!
:lol:

Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Ravenwing wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Until then....

Techno-wizard:

Technically everything in every game is Subject to GM approval/discretion.
Ravenwing
Hero

Galroth wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:
Until then....

Techno-wizard:

Technically everything in every game is Subject to GM approval/discretion.

Wait! Since I'm normally the GM, then I can just hand wave and approve me ole' design :twisted:

Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Ninjabunny wrote:But you can't play the game you run.

Tell that to some of the GM's I've had in the past. :P
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

So here's an interesting CS vs Vamps thought:

How effective would Skelebots be against a Wild Vampire?
-- Outdoor encounter
-- 4 Skelebots, programmed with the basics of hurting/staking a vamp with wood, armed with wood stakes.
-- 1 Wild Vampire
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Blue_Lion
Knight

kaid wrote:Yes water, sunlight, staking followed by decapitation and burning the body and separate are the ways to kill vampires in revised.

Wood still works vs vampires it is just that you cannot take two sticks and cross them to use as a holy symbol although holy symbols themself work fine.

Close water damages them, but they regenerate unless they head is cut off nad burned seperate from the boady. The regnerate even if reduced to negitive HP.

rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Blue_Lion wrote:
kaid wrote:Yes water, sunlight, staking followed by decapitation and burning the body and separate are the ways to kill vampires in revised.

Close water damages them, but they regenerate unless they head is cut off nad burned seperate from the boady. The regnerate even if reduced to negitive HP.

Sufficient water damage does in fact destroy them.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Mack wrote:So here's an interesting CS vs Vamps thought:

-- Outdoor encounter
-- 4 Skelebots, programmed with the basics of hurting/staking a vamp with wood, armed with wood stakes.
-- 1 Wild Vampire

A wild vamp very likely would not think to mist away, so fairly effective.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

rat_bastard wrote:

-- Outdoor encounter
-- 1 Wild Vampire

That's what I was thinking. Skelebots wouldn't be a solution to vampire problem in southwest Texas, but could possibly check their expansion. A few thousand Skelebots programmed to look for lairs in the daytime and track/hunt vampires by night would go a long way.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Mack wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

-- Outdoor encounter
-- 1 Wild Vampire

That's what I was thinking. Skelebots wouldn't be a solution to vampire problem in southwest Texas, but could possibly check their expansion. A few thousand Skelebots programmed to look for lairs in the daytime and track/hunt vampires by night would go a long way.

Really all you need is assault rifles loaded with wooden rounds and stakes. you just put them into negative hit points and stake them while they are healing. Ground penetrating radar and a custom vamp killing protocol are both good but killing vamps is not terribly complicated.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

rat_bastard wrote:
Mack wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

-- Outdoor encounter
-- 1 Wild Vampire

Really all you need is assault rifles loaded with wooden rounds and stakes. you just put them into negative hit points and stake them while they are healing. Ground penetrating radar and a custom vamp killing protocol are both good but killing vamps is not terribly complicated.

People that think like that tend to end up being the next crop of vampires, one should never get complacent and think something so dangerous isn't so difficult to locate or kill.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Nightmask wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
Mack wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

-- Outdoor encounter
-- 1 Wild Vampire

People that think like that tend to end up being the next crop of vampires, one should never get complacent and think something so dangerous isn't so difficult to locate or kill.

How do skelebots become vampires?
Blue_Lion
Knight

Nightmask wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:
Mack wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:

-- Outdoor encounter
-- 1 Wild Vampire

Actualy not as much so. The process of making new vampires takes times. More than likely the vampiers kill them to make an example of them.

Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

arthurfallz wrote:

Ripley is a flight officer (her rank is that of a Warrant Officer) on the USCSS Nostromo,a Weyland-Yutani Lockmart CM 88B Bison M-Class starfreighter which is pulling an automated refinery.

I don't see how you get Operator OCC out out that.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis

Return to “Rifts®”