Focusing and/or Concentrating for a Skill Bonus

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Jack
Wanderer
Comment: Pumpkin King, Pirate Captain, Giant Killer, Frost Spirit, In the Box

Re: Focusing and/or Concentrating for a Skill Bonus

Unread post by The Jack »

It sounds like a reasonable house rule. Keep in mind, however, that there are already rules in RUE for attempting to use skills under pressure, such as in the heat of battle per your example. The utility of such a rule would also depend very much on when the GM has characters roll for the successful use of skills. You may also consider that a number of skills are not suited to use on the fly, and would be unlikely to benefit from this rule.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

shameless plug- Rifter #51 article Mundane Doesn't Mean Boring expanded on RUE for taking longer time, no stress, superior tools, etc. as well as other things that could affect skills.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Also, not all skills can be completed as a melee action. I would say that the skill would take as from 50% to 100% more time.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

honestly, with how quickly and high skill percentages go up inPB, I don't see it as needed. But, if you feel it is, I agree with the poster who said 50-100% additional time. Myself, I would lean towards 100% extra time, and give 2 levels of bonus (most skills that would be 10%, but some would be different). I also would limit it to only the 1 bonus (can't take an hour and automatically succeed). And, not all skills are applicable.

But, I have gone with superior tools that add bonuses, and I've always allowed situational modifiers. Ie, books of languages that would help with translation (give bonus on read/write). Etc.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo

Return to “G.M.s Forum”