Point Buy System?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

Point Buy System?

Unread post by KillWatch »

I think PBS' allow for greater creativity, but it is meaningless> I like Points for skills so if I want to sacrifice to be awesome with my katana but have no idea how to work a toaster I can.
Correct me if I am wrong, please, but I see PBS' as making classifications, names, races, really anything we know in life, meaningless, as the only thing keeping that microwave from being a conscious biological entity is a matter of maybe 20-30 points. You can't just buy things even if you are "rich", you have to spend the points. I mean how much would a device that allows you to talk anywhere in the world, access global databases, take video, and a slew of other more or less impressive things be? I would really like a mobile phone but I just don't have the build points, but when I do I am going to turn my android into an actual robot.
There is no such thing as a dragon, a human, a sword or anything else, it just points. Kind of like a video game; there is no real difference between you and a tree other than the code, and that can be changed,... which we can now begin to infer things about quantum physics and the properties of subatomic particles and their relationship to reality,.. blah blah blah. Lets keep it to gaming
I just don't see the appeal
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Re: Point Buy System?

Unread post by ZorValachan »

I think I understand what you meant. There are some systems like you describe. Points for disadvantages/advantages, social standing, wealth, etc. but there are other systems which are not where everything is bought by points.

many dislike level systems because everything levels at the same time. I've had characters with the 'percussion instruments' skill who never got one and it was raised along with everything else. But then point based skills can cause you to get points for taking "i'm afraid of polyester" and getting "+2 to shoot my energy rifle" in exchange, or "I don't have an eye, but I'm filthy rich". In these cases I agree with you. I don't like trying to do a balance act of give and take for 'equality', especially when Roll-play and role-play choices using the same point method.

My favourite type of system is where Attributes (Stuff like strength, IQ, etc) are rolled similar to old D&D and PB games-random dice. Races and culture add/subtract a set number from skills, but do not give/take points. Characters get starting money equipment like PB as well. But the skills themselves are bought and raised through experience. You can't save points to turn a phone into a robot and points to buy the material to do it. But you can use points to raise your engineering, and if you can salvage/buy components and materials needed (maybe through some adventuring) you could spend time and build a robot. A couple I know of also have 'backgrounds' like the traditional fighter-wizard-priest-rogue and if you try to gain skills/powers/whatnots from another it costs more experience to do it. So lines are there and can be blurred if the player is willing to spend more for it.

All games are not Level or PBS. There are some good ones out there that blend the two or do their own thing.
KillWatch
Champion

Re: Point Buy System?

Unread post by KillWatch »

I like my Palladium mods;
Stats Rolled
History: Written or Rolled
DC/HP: Stats & Level
Skills: Stats and points
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”