when is too much

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

when is too much

Unread post by KillWatch »

So I have been modding the game for a long time. Now though I am wondering what the line is where I should stop calling it palladium? I mean I use the skill but changed it to a point system and made it 3 tiered. I've renamed the stats, started the bonuses earlier, and added some new ones. I've tweaked all the powers psionics and spells (editing deleting adding).

So at what point does it cease to be palladium? When can I say hey lets play HU, and people come over and say hey huh??? is this?
Conversely hey lets play a new game. Waitaminute this is palladium isn't it???
or am I lost in the limbo in between
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: when is too much

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I guess the answer is "When you could publish your houserules as a seperate system and it'd stand up in court as being unrelated"
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I guess the answer is "When you could publish your houserules as a seperate system and it'd stand up in court as being unrelated"

That's kinda close to what I was going to say...

You're at the in-between right now... your own full rule-set, but using their setting.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
KillWatch
Champion

ok when is a rule set no longer the same? I mean Palladium was based off of D&D but there is very little resemblance. There is more in common with 3ed than 1st or 2nd, or do I have to look into copyright law. Do I have to change the skills from % to something like d20? The real question I guess is would you be upset if I said Palladium and presented This?

I wonder if anyone else has gone this far or considered this?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Well, really, over the years, I think the vast majority of us have house ruled stuff. No matter what game system. Seriously, I bet if you took an honest survey of those who run games (not the players, I'm talking the guys who say "This is my table, here are the rules we play with"), 90% or more are going to say that they regularly use at least one house rule.

The real question though, becomes, what part is the game we play? Is it the rules, or is it the setting? For a while, I ran a game that used the 3.5 rules, but was in the PF setting. And at one point, I used the PF rules to run a game in the Dragonlance setting... where is the line?

I think, when gathering a new group, the best way to go about it is "ok, after several years, these are the house rules I've come up with... what do you guys think?" and go from there. Sometimes, it's easiest to go with RAW, then adjust. That way, you all have the same basic start point...
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I avoid house rules at all costs. However, with a system so broken and contradictory unto itself, It is flat out impossible to play a palladium based game without having to at least fill in some blanks... I wouldn't call them house rules exactly, but something has to fill in the gaps that exist.

As far as to answer the initial question, I'd say as soon as the core rule book is no longer needed to run the game, you are playing a different system, however, if you are using the same setting, then it is still Palladium/Rifts/Whatever. I have played games where folks have inserted TORG, GURPS or even D20 versions of Rifts and Shadowrun and no one ever seemed upset as long as expectations were set at the start. If you were going to run at a convention or something though, I would state it as a Palladium setting based RPG.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

MaxxSterling wrote:I avoid house rules at all costs. However, with a system so broken and contradictory unto itself, It is flat out impossible to play a palladium based game without having to at least fill in some blanks... I wouldn't call them house rules exactly, but something has to fill in the gaps that exist.

There are really only two classifications, house rules and canon rules. Filling in the gaps with a rule you made is the very definition of house rules. The rule you come up with to fill the gap is not the same as the one I come up with. House rule.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

By copyright law, rules of a game cannot be copyrighted.

1st edition Palladium Fantasy was clearly related to 1st edition AD&D, so far as I could run D&D adventures with mental conversions and the games never slowed down.

If you're just playing with a group or getting a group together and not planning on publishing, You're at the point of 'lets play the Rifts (or whatever) setting using my own rules/ruleset. I hope you then give each player a copy of your rules, so they know what's going on.

Copyright law copy/pasted from the US Copyright government site:

Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles. Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form.

Material prepared in connection with a game may be subject to copyright if it contains a sufficient amount of literary or pictorial expression. For example, the text matter describing the rules of the game or the pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard or container may be registrable.

If your game includes any written element, such as instructions or directions, the Copyright Office recommends that you apply to register it as a literary work. Doing so will allow you to register all copyrightable parts of the game, including any pictorial elements. When the copyrightable elements of the game consist predominantly of pictorial matter, you should apply to register it as a work of the visual arts.
KillWatch
Champion

wow that's enlightening, so I could do a d20 system rule set, publish it, but as long as I don't copy the way they describe the system, use the name or flavor text, I'm ok (ignoring the open licensing)??
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

according to what ZorValachan posted, that would appear to be the case. I would, however, strongly recommend you consult with a lawyer before doing so. while that appears to be what the act says. "case law" concerning how the courts have actually interpreted it, may and likely will throw up a few problems that could trip you up and land you into legal trouble.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
KillWatch
Champion

I am not considering publishing, it was more of the practice with groups and about how far is too far and still be palladium and advertising for players
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

To be safe, just say "It's a palladium-inspired setting with a largely homebrew system"

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

when you can burn all your Palladium books and continue playing.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
KillWatch
Champion

the difference is some people like palladium and I don't want to pull the rug out from under them with what i have
KillWatch
Champion

well 1) its hard to yell at someone named snuzzles, so that's not going to happen, 2) I was just being reflective, looking at my binder and the question occurred to me
ZorValachan
Adventurer

Unread post by ZorValachan »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:according to what ZorValachan posted, that would appear to be the case. I would, however, strongly recommend you consult with a lawyer before doing so. while that appears to be what the act says. "case law" concerning how the courts have actually interpreted it, may and likely will throw up a few problems that could trip you up and land you into legal trouble.

Another big 'downside' is that a bigger company with resources can take you to court and drain your finances, bankrupting you with lawyer/court fees before you 'win'. Also Trademark and other IP laws can be used if you don't strip out those links as well.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”