The *ORIGINAL* Nightspawn...from 1973...

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

The *ORIGINAL* Nightspawn...from 1973...

Unread post by Subjugator »

http://www.lib.msu.edu/comics/rri/mrri/meetinga.htm

Nightspawn. -- Detroit, Mich. : Megaton Publications, . --
ill. ; 28 cm. -- LIBRARY HAS: no. 2 (1973)
1. Horror comic books, strips, etc. I. Megaton
Publications. k. Spawn. Call no.: PN6728.55.M4N5

Published by Kevin and Alex in 1973 by the publishing company known as Megaton Publications. AFAIK, it was numbers 1 and 2. This is the information from the University of Michigan.

Oh yeah - and I've got a number 2 of it. :)

Kevin's been making stuff for a VERY long time. BTW - as I see it, this means that McFarlane has ZERO leg to stand on, as Kev used the word a LONG time before he did!

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Subjugator

Nerdbane wrote:Unfortunately, Macfarlane does have one leg to stand on. It is a leg made out of money. Right or wrong, he could have sued Kevin over the name rights because he could afford the lawyers. Kevin probably would have prevailed over time, but would it really be worth it, to be legally vindicated but dang-near financially bankrupted? I shudder to think what would have happened if Kevin had spent a ton of money in his own defense in court, and THEN the Betrayal at Palladium had happened. I think changing the name of the game was the pragmatically correct thing to do.

Just my $.02,
da Nerdbane

Oh, I agree with your (and Kev's) assessment. I'm just talking from a legal standpoint, McFarlane was a jerk and wrong.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Subjugator wrote: I'm just talking from a legal standpoint, McFarlane was a jerk and wrong.

/Sub

That doesn't sound like a traditional legal standpoint. :)

Would make courts funnier though. "Your honor, his client is a damn jerk, just look at him. It's written all over his smug face. He's wrong, wrong, wrong!"
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Subjugator

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Subjugator wrote:McFarlane was a jerk and wrong.

/Sub

You didn't need to find an incredibly obscure book to prove that.

Misfit - this got an honest to goodness belly laugh out of me (and you can confirm with those on the boards who have met me, that's a lot of belly to be laughing).

Thanks for the giggle,

/Sub

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

McFarlane got what he deserved when a hockey player sued him for
using his name in the Spawn comic, even though the character
(Billy Kincaid I believe) had nothing to with hockey, he just used the
guy's name. Sound familiar?:lol:
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Reagren Wright wrote:McFarlane got what he deserved when a hockey player sued him for using his name in the Spawn comic, even though the character (Billy Kincaid I believe) had nothing to with hockey, he just used the guy's name. Sound familiar?:lol:

Almost correct. It was former St. Louis Blues player Tony Twist. The character in the comics was a ruthless crime boss, so he claimed that it hurt his image being associated with the character (can't remember the details, but there are some loose associations that can be made).

Tony is now retired from hockey and own a few bars around the greater St. Louis area.

I grew up 30 miles south of St. Louis and was a Blues fan for years. I followed that story as it progressed.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

John Banville published a book called Nightspawn in 1971.

In any case, it's more evidence that McFarlane had no legal standing.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Misfit KotLD wrote:Sometimes the truth hurts, sometimes it's just damn funny. :D

Best is when it is both at the same time.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Thanks for getting it right for me. Although the idea of Tony's name getting
smeared is a little silly, Spawn doesn't have the big of an impact on the
comic industry. Didn't McFarlane have to declare bankruptcy or something?
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

Reagren Wright wrote:Didn't McFarlane have to declare bankruptcy or something?

As per the Wikipedia article:
After McFarlane lost the second suit, [note: referring to the Tony Twist suit] his publishing company, Todd McFarlane Productions, filed for bankruptcy. This had no effect on the rest of TMP productions.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Mike Taylor wrote:John Banville published a book called Nightspawn in 1971.

In any case, it's more evidence that McFarlane had no legal standing.

Who needs legal standing when you're better at being able to soak up court costs? Seriously dude, you'd almost think the justice system was about justice, and not the ability of the wealthy to drag it on until the poor give up from lack of a legal fund :)
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Todd got his when Gaiman took him to court, so its all good.
In any case, there was also a splatterpunk horror novel called Nightspawn that came out around 1991 or 1992 as well.
Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Nerdbane covered the situation quite well

Unread post by Kevin »

Nerdbane wrote:Unfortunately, Macfarlane does have one leg to stand on. It is a leg made out of money. Right or wrong, he could have sued Kevin over the name rights because he could afford the lawyers. Kevin probably would have prevailed over time, but would it really be worth it, to be legally vindicated but dang-near financially bankrupted? I shudder to think what would have happened if Kevin had spent a ton of money in his own defense in court, and THEN the Betrayal at Palladium had happened. I think changing the name of the game was the pragmatically correct thing to do.

Just my $.02,
da Nerdbane

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. We thought about going to court, and felt we would win, but you never know and we anticipated costs in the range of $100,000 to $250,000. It was easier and most cost effective to just change the name, so we did.

For me, this is ancient history, and I hope there's not a lot more McFarlane bashing to follow. We may not agree with some of the man's business practices, but he was one heck of an artist and he does some pretty darn cool toys to this very day. I should know, I collected most of them till about 2002. (Check out my ebay store to buy some. I'll be putting up most of my toy collection over the next year. You can contact Alex if you have trouble finding the store -- he manages it for me.)

And yes, I have been creating, writing, drawing and publishing for a long time. At age nine, I announced to my parents that I would be a comic book artist when I grew up, and spent something like the next 13 years working on that goal. I just fell into role-playing games and glad I did.

Megaton Publications was the name of my first company. Alex Marciniszyn was my partner (as he usually was back then and for years to come). We published a fanzine called "Megaton" in 1969 or 1970 (Eighth grade). It was a mimeograph monstrosity. We created an entire second issue but it never went to print. We also did a one-shot Disney/animation fanzine called "B.S. & P.S." followed by two issues of "Nightspawn" followed by 5 issues of A+Plus comics (again, Alex was my partner in all these ventures). I also did inking and coloring for Michael Gustovich's "Justice Machine" and "Cobalt Blue" comic books under the "Noble Comics" label (Gusto's comic company) and did some "ghostwork" pencil and inks on a few Defender comic books (Marvel). Not to mention artwork for Judges Guild (1979-1980, though only for a total of 4-5 months), and one FASA Traveller sourcebook, 3-4 sets of Cardboard Heroes for SJG. I was originally approached by FASA to do the artwork for the original Battletech game (then called Battle Droids, but I wanted too much money per page; $60), did posters, T-Shirts and art for the Detroit Gaming Center (DGC 1980-1983) and other odds and ends, before I was able to devote all my time to Palladium Books.

Hey, I gotta get back to work!

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
Publisher, Toy Collector and yes, Mad Man
(you'd know the latter to be true if you ever saw my toy collection before I started selling it off)
Subjugator

Rocinante wrote:Ah yes, the old Battledroids game... That had its own amusing story of litigation and comeuppances... George Lucas could use another one of those, I think...

Anyway, it's all moot, since we all know Nightspawn was REALLY a rip-off of Nightbreed! :D ;)

Very cool name, my equine friend!

/Sub

MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

Kevin is right though, this is definitely long gone history. Been watching the forums for years (and posting under different names) and I notice this one comes back every now and then. People gets worked up but just remember it is a history lesson. We all know all the angles and it is what it is.

No matter what people did we still have a great game to play, no matter what the name is. :D
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

And thank you for posting Kevin. We know you are crazy busy right now with everything. Nice to see you take a second to talk witht he fanboys (and fangirls). :)
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Tyciol wrote:Palladium should try taking back Nightspawn because now Todd would probably be too scared to try and suits. Plus, you could phone up Tony Twist and Neil Gaiman for tips and maybe they could lend legal fees. I bet they'd love that.

Of course. Because y'know, Palladium Books is just in such a good financial condition right now that they could absorb the costs of a protracted lawsuit more easily than ever before :)
Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rayven »

Mike Taylor wrote:Todd got his when Gaiman took him to court, so its all good.

I have the comic this lawsuit was over.
My Sig Box wrote:Welcome to my pants.~JM_Zen
Prepare to die, rebel scum.~Prettz
That's awesome, you get the Geronimo Award for Customer Service.~Geronimo
My eyelids aren't fat! They're big boned!~Zerebus
listen to Rayven.~Becky
Eating tacos with a friend doesnt make you gay.~Cherico

897 Geek points

Return to “Nightbane®”