Cosmographer: Mapping the Three Galaxies

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Cosmographer: Mapping the Three Galaxies

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

For those of you who might be interested in a tool to help map out the Three Galaxies check out Cosmographer. If any of you have Campaign Cartographer, its an add on to it. Looks cool, I might just have to get it.

Carl
ImageImage
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

Looks promising....thanks Carl...(I bet he gets that alot... :o )
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Daikuma
Wanderer

Three Galaxies Maps

Unread post by Daikuma »

So does this mean that you have a map of the three galaxies, Carl? Is it tattooed on your scalp like yellowbeard's son, or can we maybe just get a copy of the map that should have been in some book somewhere years ago so that I did not have to spend hours of storyline time drawing maps?

Huh? Huh? Huh?

Please Carl, Don't be so cruel!

-Daikuma
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Carl Gleba

Sorry Daikuma, I don't have a map. I did draw up some of the solar systems in Three Galaxies, but that's it. Who knows I might do a map in the next 3G book. We'll see :wink:

Nice job Braden :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
Carl Gleba

Re: Cosmographer: Mapping the Three Galaxies

MrThoth wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:For those of you who might be interested in a tool to help map out the Three Galaxies check out Cosmographer. If any of you have Campaign Cartographer, its an add on to it. Looks cool, I might just have to get it.

Carl

I personally like AstroSynthesis (http://www.nbos.com). It's not an add-on (though you can tie it into Fractal Mapper if you want) and it's a whole lot cheaper (you don't have to buy CC2 and Cosmographer).

I've only played around (haven't had to do any significant mapping), but the generators are really nice. The interface takes getting used to, but then again, so did CC2.

Thanks for point that out MrThoth. That is some awesome software. I may have to consider buying it. Now if only someone could add a few more hours to the day to give me the time to play around with it.

Carl
ImageImage
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Just keep in mind, when creating galactic maps, that Outer Space is three-dimensional, not linear like every Science-Fiction Series ever made portrays it.

~ Josh
Daikuma
Wanderer

Mapping Software

Unread post by Daikuma »

Not a bad idea. Now we just need to plug in the data that is provided in all of the Palladium space books, and it starts to be practical to use in PB space setting games.

I am going to check astrosynthesis out (looks really good) but it would be nice to see some sort of map that reflects the cannon material. I tried designing one a few years back, but I was never satisfied with it, and now I just don't have the time to be estimating the travel time and distance of every trip.

Smart gamers make details a lot more important, cause they will take your estimates as facts.

-Daikuma
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

MrThoth wrote:You are correct sir! :-) I don't know about Cosmographer, but AstroSynthesis actually maps on 3 axes. You can print 2-D maps as reference sheets and numbers are shown next to each system as to how far above or below the galactic center the system is.

They've got a whole mess of screen shots on their site that gives a pretty decent preview (and you can get a demo, fully-functional I think, from the site as well).

[a la Peter Griffin]That is awesome![/a la Peter Griffin]

~ Josh
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Nice. Though I would not mind see a little more details on were the boards are accually(sp?) are.
Daikuma
Wanderer

Meet me in Astral Cartography...

Unread post by Daikuma »

Well, tried to generate galaxy map 90,000 light years long by 2,000 light years thick in Astrosynthesis today, and it bogged the computer for two hours (and I am on a Pentium 4 2.53 ghz with a gig of RAM).

Results not bad but the system cannot handle displaying the data. Seems like the database and number crunching the program require are so intense that the wire frame style drawing moves like my old Commodore 64.

This is just the trail version though, so I may be not seeing what the full version can do. If I can get it up to snuff, I think the program allows me to custom build the canonical star systems and nebulae wherever the text from the books indicates they are.

So on that note, "Mr. Data, meet me in stellar cartography"

If you have ever drawn a map of the three galaxies, and have a digital copy, please post it here so I can start to integrate the player information into a greater whole. If PB won't build it, lets do it as a group. Please give your estimates on where known planets are (galactic compass heading, above or below the plane of the elliptic, distance and heading to other known worlds, even your custom worlds, systems), and others if you would like to add something detailed and have enough data to get a credit in it if I can get it working.

If it is a sketch on notebook paper or a cocktail napkin, we want to see it!

As I compile the maps, data packets for whichever cartography program works best, I'll post them somewhere to make them available to everyone. (of course I'll not step on any copyright toes folks, just something to make your GM hours easier!)

By the way, Carl, CJ, Kevin, if you would like to hand down any data you have that might help this along for the players, feel free. We'd love to have someone throw us a bone on where we are in the universe, si si?

Thanks for all of your help!

-Daikuma
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Here's my rough map. Keep in mind I only have the main PW book to go by

http://img305.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ttgmap5xp.jpg
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Daikuma
Wanderer

Unread post by Daikuma »

Esckey wrote:Here's my rough map. Keep in mind I only have the main PW book to go by

http://img305.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ttgmap5xp.jpg

That's a great start Esckey! Thanks!
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Ya its a bit messy, hate the paint program. I'm fleshing it out more right now

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I think it looks very promising. I'm looking froward to seeing your next step in the mapping of the 3Gs.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Daikuma
Wanderer

Astrosynthesis so far...

Unread post by Daikuma »

The program seems to be fairly top notch, though its memory management capacity is somewhat lacking (when I tried to use it to map a galaxy, or even something more than a 30-40 parsecs square, it dragged the pc down top a crawl - keeps the entire map in the active memory). It looks like it is going to need some sort of adjustable caching added to the program if it is going to be practical.
My PC is Pentium 4 2.53 with a gig of good RAM running in dual channel. Video card is 128 mb ATI with OpenGL, so no issues there.

For accuracy and creativity, the program is great. It needs some more controls (like if I build a galaxy, I'd like to see the capacity to grab regions of stars to edit their characteristics in bulk, like the radiant centers of the universe, etc.) Would also be good to adjust the settings of the spacce you are trying to fill, the type of galaxy you are trying to construct, etc.

Anyone else having fun with this program?

-Daikuma
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Nope it would drag my computer down to a crawl

http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ttgmap38kp.jpg
Heres one I did from a side on veiw of the corkscrew

Aramanthus
Monk

That is a pretty cool site!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Here's the one I did a couple of months ago:

http://www.geocities.com/linwood3rd/3galaxy1.jpg
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
Daikuma
Wanderer

Unread post by Daikuma »

devillin wrote:Here's the one I did a couple of months ago:

Love the picture, but is the corkscrew galaxy a spiral galaxy that is 90,000 light years long and 2000 light years wide or 2000 light years deep (on the z axis, if you will?)

If it is really built like a corkscrew, then 90k ly by 2k ly is a long thin (tube or rod shaped) galaxy. IF they meant a spiral galaxy, 2k ly deep, then it would be like a large circular saw blade, with a 45k ly radius, and 2k ly deep (or thick).

I don't remeber if these were all spiral galaxies or not. Ideas? References?

-Daikuma
Aramanthus
Monk

The pic looks good none the less!

HH....FIE
devillin
Adventurer

Daikuma wrote:

Love the picture, but is the corkscrew galaxy a spiral galaxy that is 90,000 light years long and 2000 light years wide or 2000 light years deep (on the z axis, if you will?)

2000 lyrs thick on the z-axis. PW pg50. I forgot where it was stated, but they are supposed to be tilted towards each other.
Daikuma
Wanderer

Unread post by Daikuma »

devillin wrote:
Daikuma wrote:

2000 lyrs thick on the z-axis. PW pg50. I forgot where it was stated, but they are supposed to be tilted towards each other.

But are they all spiral galaxies (there are also elliptical, irregular, barred spiral - all as defined by Hubble). This http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit4/types.html defines the differences.

I may be remembering wrong, but I could swear there was something stating that they were not all standard spirals.

-Daikuma
devillin
Adventurer

Daikuma wrote:
devillin wrote:2000 lyrs thick on the z-axis. PW pg50. I forgot where it was stated, but they are supposed to be tilted towards each other.

I may be remembering wrong, but I could swear there was something stating that they were not all standard spirals.

I remember that Corkscrew was supposed to be a lazily rotating gaseous galaxy, while Thundercloud had a much more rapid rotation, which made the arms a lot more pronounced. Thundercloud also had that blackhole region in its center. There wasn't really a description made of Anvil.
Braden Campbell

The Anvil is "bulls-eye shaped".

But to explain the presence of the Threshold, I take that to mean the Anvil is a globular cluster with the core being very small and seperated from the halo region.

Picture a golf ball suspended inside a basketball: the major power blocs live on the surface of the basketball, the golf ball is the Core, and the empty space inbetween is the Threshold (about 75%).
Braden, GMPhD

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:The Anvil is "bulls-eye shaped".

But to explain the presence of the Threshold, I take that to mean the Anvil is a globular cluster with the core being very small and seperated from the halo region.

Picture a golf ball suspended inside a basketball: the major power blocs live on the surface of the basketball, the golf ball is the Core, and the empty space inbetween is the Threshold (about 75%).

It is important to note that ships "can't" cross the threshold. You have travel arround the outside layer of the halo making the Anvil much bigger, from a logistics perspective, than it actually is.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Daikuma
Wanderer

Unread post by Daikuma »

Ok, so this would imply that the Anvil is either a really REALLY big globular cluster (because those are just parts of galaxies, not galaxies unto themselves) or a full on Elliptical Galaxy, mimicking the form of a globular cluster

Corkscrew was supposed to be a lazily rotating gaseous galaxy, while Thundercloud had a much more rapid rotation, which made the arms a lot more pronounced. Thundercloud also had that blackhole region in its center.

Corkscrew, then, can be defined as a Lenticular (lens-shaped) Galaxy, or spiral galaxies without spiral structure, i.e. smooth disk galaxies, where the spin has slowed and the arms have become "hazy"

Thundercloud is a more vibrant, young phase "standard" spiral galaxy, with pronounced arms. A higher concentration of young stellar matter, like nebulae and the like, and the black hole region in the center goes to the formative nature of the galaxy, the high central gravity going to the formation of new stars.

Your votes folks? Further thoughts?

-Daikuma
Braden Campbell

I always thought the Corkscrew was an irregular galaxy; shaped roughly in a T, with a long, twisting tail (that's mostly unexplored)... like a corkscrew.

You can kind of see it behind the flying Cosmo Knight in the main PW book.
Braden, GMPhD

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

or a Ring galaxy like AM 0644-741, or IGSGL 186,927

from astronomy picture of the day: (from the pic of AM 0644-741)
Explanation: How could a galaxy become shaped like a ring? The rim of the blue galaxy pictured on the right is an immense ring-like structure 150,000 light years in diameter composed of newly formed, extremely bright, massive stars. That galaxy, AM 0644-741, is known as a ring galaxy and was caused by an immense galaxy collision. When galaxies collide, they pass through each other -- their individual stars rarely come into contact. The ring-like shape is the result of the gravitational disruption caused by an entire small intruder galaxy passing through a large one. When this happens, interstellar gas and dust become condensed, causing a wave of star formation to move out from the impact point like a ripple across the surface of a pond. The intruder galaxy has since moved out of the frame taken by the Hubble Space Telescope and released to commemorate the anniversary of Hubble's launch in 1990. Ring galaxy AM 0644-741 lies about 300 million light years away.

if i had to pick an existing galaxy to provide example of the Anvil: i'd pick Hoag's Object

of course, there is also this really neat pic, of a trio of galaxies. one elliptical, and two spirals.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Daikuma
Wanderer

From Basketball to Ring Toss?

Unread post by Daikuma »

glitterboy2098 wrote:

or a Ring galaxy like AM 0644-741, or IGSGL 186,927

from astronomy picture of the day: (from the pic of AM 0644-741)
Explanation: How could a galaxy become shaped like a ring? The rim of the blue galaxy pictured on the right is an immense ring-like structure 150,000 light years in diameter composed of newly formed, extremely bright, massive stars. That galaxy, AM 0644-741, is known as a ring galaxy and was caused by an immense galaxy collision. When galaxies collide, they pass through each other -- their individual stars rarely come into contact. The ring-like shape is the result of the gravitational disruption caused by an entire small intruder galaxy passing through a large one. When this happens, interstellar gas and dust become condensed, causing a wave of star formation to move out from the impact point like a ripple across the surface of a pond. The intruder galaxy has since moved out of the frame taken by the Hubble Space Telescope and released to commemorate the anniversary of Hubble's launch in 1990. Ring galaxy AM 0644-741 lies about 300 million light years away.

if i had to pick an existing galaxy to provide example of the Anvil: i'd pick Hoag's Object

of course, there is also this really neat pic, of a trio of galaxies. one elliptical, and two spirals.

Ok, so if the Anvil is like Hoag's, then it is more like a ring around a core than your earlier basketball & golf ball description. I can go with that, especially as the issues of turbulence and fields in the in-between space make for a great "cause" for the threshhold.

Now, if we all are in agreement that the Thundercloud is a neat Spiral (with black hole storms in the center) the Corkscrew is a Barred Spiral, now moving phase into a Lenticular Galaxy, and the Anvil is a Ring Galaxy, like Hoag's, we are on to placement of the galaxies, in 3D relation to one another.

Thoughts?

-Daikuma
Braden Campbell

My only problem with having the Anvil look like a ring, and this is from a game design point-of-view, is that since you can't cross the Threshold, its bloody impossible to travel from one side to the other. To do so , you have to cut through everyone else's territory... Everywhere you go, you have to take the long way.

but a sphere-shape gives you lots more maneuvering room.
Braden, GMPhD

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Braden, GMPhD wrote:My only problem with having the Anvil look like a ring, and this is from a game design point-of-view, is that since you can't cross the Threshold, its bloody impossible to travel from one side to the other. To do so , you have to cut through everyone else's territory... Everywhere you go, you have to take the long way.

not really. you can pop up over the plane of the galaxy with the ring. your just really isolated should you have trouble.

with the sphere, your cutting through the territories of other groups regardless of which direction you go. your bordered on 4 sides with territories, one side with the threshhold, and one with the intergalactic void. thats the true long way round.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

I agree about going above or below the galactic plane to set a course without interferring with someone's territory.

HH....FIE
Daikuma
Wanderer

Unread post by Daikuma »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Braden, GMPhD wrote:My only problem with having the Anvil look like a ring, and this is from a game design point-of-view, is that since you can't cross the Threshold, its bloody impossible to travel from one side to the other. To do so , you have to cut through everyone else's territory... Everywhere you go, you have to take the long way.

not really. you can pop up over the plane of the galaxy with the ring. your just really isolated should you have trouble.

with the sphere, your cutting through the territories of other groups regardless of which direction you go. your bordered on 4 sides with territories, one side with the threshhold, and one with the intergalactic void. thats the true long way round.

Either way, unless you are moving a fleet somewhere, you are talking about moving a craft through an area a thousand light years thick, you can pretty much hide a lot of things in space rubble. Then you also have areas not in the biosphere that are also not in past the Threshold, and in those you may be able to find passage that is "differently safe". For example, if the TGE is looking to blast you out of space, perhaps the non-oxygen breathers may not be as bad as blasting, si si?

Besides, in the case of the anvil, they do specify that a lot of constant strife and war is going on in the region, so figure that it has a lot to do with that feeling of being hemmed in on all sides.

Works for creating war in real life, so why not in the game, neh?

-Daikuma
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

ring galaxies have another real estate issue. because their ring shape is the result of a massive wave of star formation, they won't have many habitable worlds, if many worlds at all. younger stars tend to be too hot to make good homes, and star forming regions have lots of turbulance, radiation, and the like making it hostile to most life.

so you could have lots of war and strife because there isn't enough resources to go around.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Just keep in mind, when creating galactic maps, that Outer Space is three-dimensional, not linear like every Science-Fiction Series ever made portrays it.

The majority of Science Fiction series do portray space as existing in three dimensions.

I see this in novels from the Lensman series to the Honor Harrington series.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Well the sun orbits at somewhere around 220km/s, and 20km/s relative to other stars

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”