Hades the God in relation to the Minion War

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Hades the God in relation to the Minion War

Unread post by Pox »

While I haven't gone over the book with a fine-toothed comb, I do have to wonder:

How the Greek God Hades figures into this whole situation since considering in his own write-up in Conversion Book 2, it says he almost killed Succor-Bemoth for trespassing and commands "all the Hordes of Hades".

So how does he play into it all? Where is is kingdom (pocket dimension? Not mapped because it is Kinjiru to go there? etc.)? Is he just sitting back and let all the demons jack around with each other?

Thoughts?

I have some other Hades (the man not the place, and more specifically Persephone and their family) questions but that's another thread and another time.
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
Zamion138
Hero

Re: Hades the God in relation to the Minion War

Unread post by Zamion138 »

I dont recall anything from hades about the god Hades, i think in conversion book one they were trying to interlink as many of the gods as possible. But as far as i can tell there is no other mention anywhere of the incident. Not in the minnon wars books and nod in dragons and gods either.

Ive always kinda thought Hades the gods relm was a diffrent place than the demonic plane of Hades. I dont see them sharing nicely.
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I've not seen Hades mentioned anywhere in these books. What I do see is Modeus mentioned and he is in charge I guess... However the whole thing seems seated heavily on his underlings and not he himself. As far as "Hades" it's pretty confusing.
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Hades the God largely ignores the other demons that exist in Hades the Realm and for the most part his kingdom is left alone. So long as his territory remains inviolate, I don't see him participating in the Minion War at all.

From the writeup in CB2, the "Hordes of Hades" reference leads me to believe that is literally his horde of minions, not the entirety of all demonic beings that inhabit the realm.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I actually got the impression is he has his own Devine Realm (See dragons and gods) that he named hades. which is completely unrelated from the other hades.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

there was a thread a while ago that explained this fairly well called Hades and Hades. I'd link it but well you know.
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I actually got the impression is he has his own Devine Realm (See dragons and gods) that he named hades. which is completely unrelated from the other hades.

Totaly agree.....the two are incompatible with each other
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

bradshaw wrote:there was a thread a while ago that explained this fairly well called Hades and Hades. I'd link it but well you know.

Did I miss something? 'cause unless this is some sorta "Teach a man how to fish" kinda thing...I don't actually know why you couldn't link it.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

isn't Hades realm Tartourous?, or how ever its spelled.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

the Greek underworld is a lot of things. I think Hades should get involved and what-the-crap punch these jokers in the face with all his batman/judge dredd-ness.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

Marrowlight wrote:
bradshaw wrote:there was a thread a while ago that explained this fairly well called Hades and Hades. I'd link it but well you know.

Did I miss something? 'cause unless this is some sorta "Teach a man how to fish" kinda thing...I don't actually know why you couldn't link it.

If you could feed me for a day that would be great.
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

say652 wrote:isn't Hades realm Tartourous?, or how ever its spelled.
"True" Hades has three realms in it:

The Elysium Fields, where the good people get to spend eternity doing nothing but pleasurable things.

The Asphodel Fields, where people who were "meh" morally in life have to spend eternity. It is a vast wasteland, neither pleasant nor painful, just boring.

and then there is

Tartarus, the 'plane' of Hades where eternal punishments are doled out to the truly wicked, as well as those (immortal) enemies of the gods such as The Titans -in Greek Mythology, "good" and "evil" only usually applied to mortal beings, so the Titans weren't placed in Tartarus because they had necessarily done anything "wrong," they were placed there as political enemies of the state and its agenda (e.g., Prometheus).
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Pox wrote:While I haven't gone over the book with a fine-toothed comb, I do have to wonder:

How the Greek God Hades figures into this whole situation since considering in his own write-up in Conversion Book 2, it says he almost killed Succor-Bemoth for trespassing and commands "all the Hordes of Hades".

So how does he play into it all? Where is is kingdom (pocket dimension? Not mapped because it is Kinjiru to go there? etc.)? Is he just sitting back and let all the demons jack around with each other?

Thoughts?

I have some other Hades (the man not the place, and more specifically Persephone and their family) questions but that's another thread and another time.
"True" Hades and Palladium's Hades are simply coincidentally named. They dimensionally "border" one another in pretty much the same way that Yggdrasil "borders" The Nine Realms, and are apparently easy to reach -moreso than other dimensional travels -because of this "border."

"True" Hades predates Palladium's Hades by an unknown but considerable time period since it is generally believed that The Old Ones created Palladium's Hades and Dyval in the comparatively recent past, then created the separate 'species' of Demons and Deevils to populate the two realms.

Palladium's Hades is an oversized, reverse-mirror-image of the Palladium World, with eternally hot lava flows where the bodies of water in the Palladium world are....and water where the active volcanoes on the Palladium world are.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Sounds steamy.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

say652 wrote:isn't Hades realm Tartourous?, or how ever its spelled.

No, Hades realm is subdivied into three parts. Tartarus is just the lowest part.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Hold on, I'm going to quote myself from a couple ancient threads discussing Hades and Hades, wherein I realized some interesting things, particularly in relation to the set up for the Minion War..
Me, circa 2010 wrote:Basically the Realm of Hades, ruled by Hades the Greek Deity, which also contains the Inter-dimensional Prison of Tartarus, is a separate place from the Dimension of Hades, ruled by the Demon Lords, which contains an area also called Tartarus, though the Realm of Hades borders many demonic kingdoms that must be kept back...
...Huh.
At least that was what I thought until I sat down rereading things to answer.
What I'm now pondering is pure brick **** material.
It mentions Hades, the god, as so powerful few would dare challenge him, though he still had to be on guard for demonic attack and raids constantly, and in command of many things, including, and I quote, 'all the Hordes of Hades'. So I wonder what all that is and flip over to the referenced CB1 page, and find the underworld being named for its lord: Hades. So while I'm mulling that over I flip through the Hoards of Hades section and see many familiar Hades Demons.. including the Demon Lords and Modeus.
Then I flip back to Modeus in Hades and it all makes terrifying sense. Modeus is now so powerful in Hades that few would dare challenge him, and he commands all the Hordes of Hades.. all thanks to a little Book he wrested away from the previous Lord of Hades.
At this point I realized that a whole lot had been going on in the rest of the Megaverse during the passage of time from when CB1-2 came out until now, the last 7-8 years by the PA calendar alone has been pretty eventful. No reason the rest of the plots in the Megaverse wouldn't keep trucking along. No matter where Hade's Realm was located in Hades, he certainly cared more for his duties than about trying to be a ruler of demons, which the Omega Book made easy enough to keep them roughly in line while he went about his business, other than concerns about raids and attacks attempting to claim it for their own per the curse. Seems it was finally stolen away by Modeus to firmly cement himself as Lord even over other Demon Lords.
That leaves GMs to ponder the final fate of Hades and his personal Realm.. and his prisoners. Off hand, I would probably say that once the Book was acquired, there is a strong possibility of Demons vs the garrison of Hundred Handed and a fair amount of looting of treasures and magical items (which would go toward Minion War preparations), before a pull back and offer to allow Hades, the god, the opportunity to continue to watch his prison is relative peace if he does not meddle in their affairs. All and all, a good deal for Modeus not having to worry about those the gods of various pantheons would want sealed away, too much potential for rival powers being released and angry gods, and appeals to Hades' sense of duty. As for how Hades was able to lose the Book in the first place, there was that small matter of Freya, leaving the possibility for all kinds open of intra-pantheon conflict between Zeus and Hera, and conflict between the Olympians and the Norse.
Side note: CB1 really loves to use 'hoards' in place of 'hordes'.
Me, circa later in 2010 aka Ancient Times wrote:Evidence seems to show that there is one Hades, and that Modeus reached his current expanded power by wresting the Omega Book from the previous Lord of Hades. Around PA 101, Hades (the deity) was still Lord of the Hades, which was named for him, and could command all the hordes of Hades- which included Modeus, who, while a powerful Demon Lord, is not mentioned as having control of all the hordes of Hades or nearly the power. Cut to PA 109, Modeus is Lord of Hades, commands all the hordes of Hades, and now has this handy little book that make it all work.
How this change of events went down seems to be left to our imaginations.
I'd imagine the prison of Tartarus to be located deep beneath the region of Tartarus, particularly since Tartarus is often described classically as a literal underworld. I'd imagine attempts to sneak in would take you through the Sulfur Pits, or, even more dangerously, through the lowest reaches of the Pit of the Damned.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I think Hades Aidoneous (we should just call him Aidoneous or maybe Aidon for short, to distinguish him from the realm itself, I think. Plouton would also work) indeed rules over Tartarus, but that is only a portion of his kingdom, not the whole of it, and Tartarus is part of the realm of Hades itself.

We can take this to mean the PF mirror Hades, or possibly some other (perhaps Rifts-mirror?) kind of Hades cognate to the ones ruled by the different Mictla/(As)modeus specified in CB1 who differ from their D&G PF counterparts.

Modeus is now so powerful in Hades that few would dare challenge him, and he commands all the Hordes of Hades.. all thanks to a little Book he wrested away from the previous Lord of Hades.
At this point I realized that a whole lot had been going on in the rest of the Megaverse during the passage of time from when CB1-2 came out until now, the last 7-8 years by the PA calendar alone has been pretty eventful. No reason the rest of the plots in the Megaverse wouldn't keep trucking along. No matter where Hade's Realm was located in Hades, he certainly cared more for his duties than about trying to be a ruler of demons, which the Omega Book made easy enough to keep them roughly in line while he went about his business, other than concerns about raids and attacks attempting to claim it for their own per the curse. Seems it was finally stolen away by Modeus to firmly cement himself as Lord even over other Demon Lords.

I never thought of this but it does make a terrifying amount of sense. I don't want to see Aidon totally realmless though. But perhaps he was forced to pull back his forces to Tartarus exclusively to defend the Titans' prison, and he's so busy doing that now that he can't reclaim his previous territory.

I would love to see a "Pantheons 2" supplement where we get stats for all the gods mentioned (but never fleshed out) in both Pantheons and D&G, along with notes about how the gods are reacting to the Minion War. Especially once actually references outside Pantheons like Ahriman, or ones mentioned as having already established relationships with big names like Splynncryh (like his pillow friend Cihuacoatl)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”